Burry go back to basics

martelpypie

hmm.. would you still have made that comment if he is a hubber / frequents this place?

That remark was just uncalled for by Cassie and extremely bad taste.

Edited by Noneking

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Courses are changing, weight saving should not really be a priority. You can't have your team's performance affected by fear of a mechanical due to weight saving techniques, and this on the 29 format already known to be weaker that 26.

If there is a rock garden in the way and flying confidently over it will gain a few seconds, then compare what lighter components will offer in terms of saving. I think the larger wheel is a faster setup but if caution is the faster approach, then the team should be winning - they certainly are fast enough.

What rims are they using on 29? How do they rate in terms of strength when this is where XC is going... ? Burry?

27.5 has to be the obvious winner..

Edited by Pain or Shine

That remark was just uncalled for by Cassie and extremely bad taste.

The comment and quoted content have been removed. Both of the people involved are members of the forum. The comment is groundless, uncalled for and rude.

Guest agteros

The comment and quoted content have been removed. Both of the people involved are members of the forum. The comment is groundless, uncalled for and rude.

Thanks TW! thumbup1.gif

Wow. Some of the posts on this thread have me wondering if people are familiar with the term "logic".

Don't use 29 wheels because they're heavier and weaker than 26" wheels - you should definitely use 27.5 because - well - they're weaker and heavier than 26" wheels :blink:

29er wheels are not suited to XC racing. Only problem is that Kulhavy is doing alright isn't he?

29er wheels cause mechanicals. What?

Methinks the original poster has a point though - 29er riding is different to 26er - perhaps Burry's style does not suit the 29er platform (personally I don't think his height has anything to do with it).

If I was Burry I would find a respresentative XC course, take my favourite 29er and fave 26er and spend a week smashing laps on both bikes. Tally up the "near misses", crashes, lap times, power meter readings, average heart rate, "feeling" after laps with both bikes and make a decision. It'll never be a cut and dry scientific decision but it'll add confidence to the choice of bike and confidence is a great thing after a rock and rolling season. Then ride your bike of choice the whole season - swapping bikes is not a good idea in my opinion.

If I was Burry I would find a respresentative XC course, take my favourite 29er and fave 26er and spend a week smashing laps on both bikes. Tally up the "near misses", crashes, lap times, power meter readings, average heart rate, "feeling" after laps with both bikes and make a decision. It'll never be a cut and dry scientific decision but it'll add confidence to the choice of bike and confidence is a great thing after a rock and rolling season. Then ride your bike of choice the whole season - swapping bikes is not a good idea in my opinion.

I'm still a believer in horses for courses. Some trails favour my 6ers and others my 9er.

I'm still a believer in horses for courses. Some trails favour my 6ers and others my 9er.

Agreed - but - I don't think changing between bikes is a good idea. A bit like professional tennis players playing squash as a cross training exercise - sure it's all racquet and balls but the technique is different.

I reckon being confident in the bike platform is worth more than the best suited bike for the course.

Sorry, but no.

1st point, agreeable.

10% on a DS...

Didn't he ride the epic on a dual sus...

So now, weather you are comparing by time or km, He has raced more on a DS this year.

Epic = 28hrs.

XCO world cup+Champs = 1h40mins (avg) x8.

=13hrs20mins

That's 67% on a DS.

33% on a HT.

If you want to get technical, they only raced about 5% of the epic route (to create breaks and push in the last 5kms or so). For the rest their Ave HR was around 140bpm. So re-do your maths homework and give us the new %.

Agreed - but - I don't think changing between bikes is a good idea. A bit like professional tennis players playing squash as a cross training exercise - sure it's all racquet and balls but the technique is different.

I reckon being confident in the bike platform is worth more than the best suited bike for the course.

Good point.

As a side note, I believe Burry's put the disappointment behind him and is off for some free-riding today.

I don't see Burry as being someone who ride a 29er just because there is an extra carrot being dangled.

If the Boss at Specialized gave him a single speed fully rigid to ride, he'd do it. Pro's ride what their sponsors tell them to ride.

If the Boss at Specialized gave him a single speed fully rigid to ride, he'd do it. Pro's ride what their sponsors tell them to ride.

But wouldn't they be given a selection of bikes from the sponsor?

and is off for some free-riding today.

That sounds like a really great idea for a Monday morning! I whish….

But Sauser has raced a 29er this whole season, hasn't he?

My info must be out of date, in Feb after he did the 26 vs 29 test he wrote on his blog

"Sauser goes on to say that the Epic 29er will be his weapon of choice for endurance races and rougher rides, but for World Cup XC racing Sauser says he’ll stick to his tried-and-true Epic 26er."

Good point.

As a side note, I believe Burry's put the disappointment behind him and is off for some free-riding today.

Being a pro rider is great innit? Us working riders get over the disappointment of weekend races by going to work on Monday morning :(

Or playing on thehub :D