Burry go back to basics

martelpypie

You have failed to answer it so far, how do I know you are able to? You have painted me in such bad light, claimed I know nothing... what qualifies YOU to give an answer?

If you have missed the question, then without your emotionally clouded judgement, and with all due respect, go back and find it yourself. <_<

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face the facts: Burry CAN handle an MTB (he is an ex- SA dowhill champion in the Junior category). However, it certainly appears that he has had a higher percentage of "unforced" crashes since riding a 29er..? I reckon it does have something to do with height (if you are shorter & lighter), riding a 29er, then it affects your inherent sense of gravity, plus important to keep that momentum going on a 29er (especially through rock gardens). Kulhavy, as well as Sauser, are both taller and/or heavier riders, think about it, when last have they crashed (especially in big races)..?

Burry has become something of a cycling hero and icon in SA , and i suppose the world.. As with rugby or cricket, we all share his successes and disappointments.

I am convinced he and his team will look at the past season, and then decide what they have to do to get the Olympic gold or Worldcup titles in 2012, whether its on a 26" or 29". (horses for courses)

This past weekend i rode on a friend of mine's brand new Spez Epic ds carbon 29". Its an amazing bike and it goes very smooth over obstacles, but its not as fast as the 26" on tight single track. Maybe that is why Shurter and Absalon still stick to their weapons of choice in the important races - 26" hardtail.

One other point - these top guys seems to focus on one discipline - whether its XC or marathons. Absalon even missed some of the worldcups, just to focus on the last part of the season that included the worldchamps. From what i can gather, Kulhavi also focuses on XC exclusively.

Edited by Konaman

Is it ok to ask if there is a particular height where moving to a 29" has the same advantage the taller riders will have. Excuse my ignorance, I feel like I should know this one.. :unsure:

Is it ok to ask if there is a particular height where moving to a 29" has the same advantage the taller riders will have. Excuse my ignorance, I feel like I should know this one.. :unsure:

n + 2". Where n = current height. The adoption of platform shoes might help to alleviate this problem, in the process of which you are swiftly turned into a nancy-boy.

n + 2". Where n = current height. The adoption of platform shoes might help to alleviate this problem, in the process of which you are swiftly turned into a nancy-boy.

Must stuff with you center of gravity.. leave your nuts to Dangle from the setatube.. :D

Platforms might have Burry mashing the pedals, but give him time, he will work it out..

Guest Omega Man

It sure was slippery out there, and quite feasible that he came short taking some big risks descending.

Yeah i agree with you on that.

I must say i was mightily impressed with the speed and skill of all of the riders. They HAULED off the line and all of the riders I saw hit that stepdown gap. That's impressive on a 29er HT with the saddle up in the sky.

I wonder how many of the riders were running dropper posts.

You have failed to answer it so far, how do I know you are able to? You have painted me in such bad light, claimed I know nothing... what qualifies YOU to give an answer?

If you have missed the question, then without your emotionally clouded judgement, and with all due respect, go back and find it yourself. <_<

Hey Pain, the Dangle has won some significant MTB events in his time. He is as technically competent as any othe LBS owner I've come across, and I know most of the worthwhile ones in the country. He also sort-of likes Spesh. He also likes Pink Floyd!

And he is absolutely right when he says this is not platform-sensitive. Composure comes from making a habit of success. When you are used to winning, losing becomes the challenge and re-discovering the winning habit takes time.

When all is said and done I think it is a bit presumptuous of forum-doodlers to want to prescribe to a former world champ how or what he should ride. Burry is far from a fool and by no means over and done with.

Burry has become something of a cycling hero and icon in SA , and i suppose the world.. As with rugby or cricket, we all share his successes and disappointments.

I am convinced he and his team will look at the past season, and then decide what they have to do to get the Olympic gold or Worldcup titles in 2012, whether its on a 26" or 29". (horses for courses)

This past weekend i rode on a friend of mine's brand new Spez Epic ds carbon 29". Its an amazing bike and it goes very smooth over obstacles, but its not as fast as the 26" on tight single track. Maybe that is why Shurter and Absalon still stick to their weapons of choice in the important races - 26" hardtail.

One other point - these top guys seems to focus on one discipline - whether its XC or marathons. Absalon even missed some of the worldcups, just to focus on the last part of the season that included the worldchamps. From what i can gather, Kulhavi also focuses on XC exclusively.

Mr Kool came 2nd in the UCI Marathon World Champs ... he is incredeble! :clap:

post-17760-0-63482100-1315224393.jpg

Thanks Fitter. The question was sort of rhetorical. In the same sense that I don't know Dangle, he does not know me.. Not sure if it ok to speak to people like that here.. or should I just roll over and play dead.

I don't think I ever made Burry out to be a fool, nor questioned his skills, I merely have a question aimed at the technology behind making a bigger bike lighter. The size of the bike and the amount of material used needs to compete with the 26" format, I get that.. They compete side x side.. I also get that the methods of application,manipulating has seen less weight for added strength, but remove all the emotion, is there a breaking point on the bike that affects the riders commitment, keeping them from hammering a technical course..

As I said before, and now am very unsure about, a break is as bad as a fall when chasing first place. When all you want is to finish first and all that stands between you and the top spot is milliseconds. Burry would not hesitate to clear a triple if that's what it takes to win, but will he risk not finishing due to mechanical rather than settle for second. This is a question that will affect everyone who rides a 29" wheeled bike, I use Burry as example, detached from emotion, to illustrate his skills being ex DH..

This is a question that will affect everyone who rides a 29" wheeled bike.

Why?

20" frames are 17% bigger than 17" frames.

Riser bars can be >15% longer than flats.

Large frames have more seat post showing than small.

110cm stems are a whopping 37% longer than 80mm stems...

But if spokes are 11.5% and rims are 11.5% bigger in diam suddenly we need to question their strength and reliability?

Riddle me that Pain...

So is it a misconception then that the 11.5% does not make a difference to strength.. and thanks for someone responding to my question..

As I understand it, that 11.5% is a static difference in size, but surely the difference in percentage is amplified while the wheel is spinning..

So is it a misconception then that the 11.5% does not make a difference to strength.. and thanks for someone responding to my question..

As I understand it, that 11.5% is a static difference in size, but surely the difference in percentage is amplified while the wheel is spinning..

I'm no mech eng but here goes...

Spokes are in tension so their strength depends on spoke diameter not length.

Rims should not be much (if any) weaker either - a rims strength is dependant on the alu alloy and the cross sectional profile design of the rim. Impact resistance should be almost unaafected by 11.5% bigger diameter. 29er tyres have bigger air volume in them and that should act as a ssuspension of sorts reducing impact also.

This whole 26/29er debate is completely over emotional - its a decision just like tyre choice, HT or duallie, riser or flat bar, tubeless or tubby, carbon or alu rims etc.