What's the most durable BB

divernick

At the moment I have a cheapie square taper BB and crankset on my SS. In your opinion, what's the most durable MTB BB that fits a 68mm BB shell?

I am going to replace my cranks and BB at the end of the year, but I can't decide what to go for....BB durability and hassle-free riding is top of my priority list, above weight.

Best option albeit expensive, is a Chris King. the bearings are servicable, but even better is that you can buy the grease injection tool which allows you to inject new grease when necessary. There's no reason it shouldn't last as long as their headsets and hubs ie 10-20 years.

As for what you're currently using, the old square taper BBs were a hell of a lot more reliable than the current generation of external BBs(Chris King excluded of course). I'd say stick with what you have. There are still some really sweet sq taper cranks around, White Industries for an example

Phil Wood BB's have a lifetime warranty. Also seriously expensive.

Have to agree. Bought one last year, installed it and haven't given it a seconds thought since.

You've got some good advice here. Since I moved to external BBs, I've had to replace more than a dozen bearings. And I don't own a high-pressure washer. I have finally bit the bullet for a Chris King BB and injector tool, and I'm hoping that will be the end of my troubles. Chris King might be expensive, but once you've trashed four ordinary external BBs, it starts to look like good value.

At the moment I have a cheapie square taper BB and crankset on my SS. In your opinion, what's the most durable MTB BB that fits a 68mm BB shell?

I am going to replace my cranks and BB at the end of the year, but I can't decide what to go for....BB durability and hassle-free riding is top of my priority list, above weight.

Definately the BB Torch and not the Curve :blink:

Best option albeit expensive, is a Chris King. the bearings are servicable, but even better is that you can buy the grease injection tool which allows you to inject new grease when necessary. There's no reason it shouldn't last as long as their headsets and hubs ie 10-20 years.

As for what you're currently using, the old square taper BBs were a hell of a lot more reliable than the current generation of external BBs(Chris King excluded of course). I'd say stick with what you have. There are still some really sweet sq taper cranks around, White Industries for an example

Don't forget Middleburn...

Does the torch fit into a 68mm shell though?

How big's your hammer?

With an external BB you can replace the bearings with enduros when they go, and it costs about R200. Replacing them is a 5 minute job.

With an external BB you can replace the bearings with enduros when they go, and it costs about R200. Replacing them is a 5 minute job.

Got to agree