Why always the cyclist

Chris Willemse

Why must the cyclist always get penelised for doing things wrong and not the officials or the organisers?

Sundays Burger race was held on a fantastic day with perfect conditions.

Now the cyclists get blamed again for riding on the wrong side of the rode and I have no problem supporting the officials on that BUT

Where was the ambulance or medics when that nasty accident happend just before Paarl?

About R 750000 were taken from entrys - Surely there could have been more ambulances on the rode. I did not see any medical tents on the route.

What about the safety of the cyclists now ?

Who is going to take the blame when a cyclist or the bunch is going to fall in a sprint because of the rode that is wide [ 2 lanes ] and then suddenly becomes one in the last few hundred meters due the cones that has been put in the rode and forcing the cyclist into 1 lane.

I think that it is time that some cyclists, officials, PPA and CSA get together and discuss the safety of the cyclists in general.  The cyclists are not the only ones that is always wrong.   

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agreed. Thumbs%20Up The same set of rules/requirements should apply to all races and cyclist should be made aware of these so that they know what to expect.

Yup - I agree here!

Don't really want to discuss Hels but it would have been very easy to police cyclists OR CARS there.

Serious lack of medics around? Or for that matter 'senior' and visible marshalls/cars/motorbikes/etc.

Nothing done about the by now notorious Paarl grand canyon.

5 km to go sign at 2.4 km to go!

I'm sure others will add to this. NOT good enough for a major race.

Chis ou boet, 'n fietsryer mag dalk slim en ook geniaal wees maar as sy gat op die saal land is hy dommer as 'n blonde sekretaresse!!!!!! Stoepit verby want dan trek sy brein toe en sy knatters begin vir hom dink!!!!!!

Yes it is always the cyclists transgressing the law [rules]. I would hate to see spectaters not following the rules.

Ek dink dit was 'n k@k vraag. Sit asseblief.

Rules are rules. If you can not abide by them, do you need someone to police everywhere to make sure that you abide by the rules?

Thou shalt not kill!

Are you going to kill someone because there isn't a policeman around?

Get real!

It wasn't the officials forcing the cyclist to ride on the wrong side of the road....

You know what.... Guys riding open seeded, let's say L batch of a 10 000 rider event, I don't know if he is motivated to the same extent as a guy in a licensed racing category. Clearly if he was he might be in a different batch altogether.

Both riders approach a dangerous corner and both know that they should keep left. Now, it is at this point that the difference arises. Many will say but it's an easy choice for both riders to obey the rules and keep left. I argue that we also need to understand the psyche of the licensed riders who are racing...

So, merely saying the answer is simple and everybody should keep left isn't a solution because I don't see many licensed riders, Pro teams, team managers standing up and wanting to be counted here!

Why is that???????????? It's not because they stupid????

Hi Pantani. Don't start again.... The cyclist can do what he wants and everyone else gets blamed because the officials didn't make sure that they abide by the rules? It's always easier to blame someone else for our own mistakes.  It's always the motorist's fault if a cyclist is being hit if he/she drives on the wrong side of the road. I merely say that rules are rules. If we don't abide by them, we CAN NOT blame someone else!

I rest my case.

And I'm saying asking a guy who is motivated by money and glory to abide by the rules is not realistic.... So you have to force them to abide!

I dunno, I've been warned to stay away, I found a cracked helmet on my lawn this morning as well! LOL

I haven't got a bicycle at the moment but I should hopefully have one by the weekend... So hoping to be there if the bike is built in time...