Stripped 8mm allen key bolt (hole)

Reg Lizard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take it to a bike shop.

That could be pot luck - better bet would be a machine shop, for a final non-destructive solution by someone in the know.

Sorry but mechanical skills are generally lacking at bike shops, although there are exceptions.

That could be pot luck - better bet would be a machine shop, for a final non-destructive solution by someone in the know.

Sorry but mechanical skills are generally lacking at bike shops, although there are exceptions.

+1

People who worked in machine shops also respond on forums. ;)

Thanks Grumps, appreciated, though when last where you on the floor :o although workshop skills always stay with one.

My pitch was just to say that, yes, this has gone beyond DIY for the average DIY'er, bike shops are not really engineering works, you likely to find a mampara with a monkey wrench trying to sort this one out (although that might be a good way to extract the shaft in this case)

But you going to need tools & suss to sort this one out, and not do further damage to the crank etc and I suspect a Lo0k pedal is going to be sacrificed in the process, at least the shaft.

How did the hex 'nut' recess in the shaft strip in the first place? Perhaps the Allen Key wasn't in all the way and/or a bit skew?

Edited by kosmonooit

Thanks Grumps, appreciated, though when last where you on the floor :o although workshop skills always stay with one.

My pitch was just to say that, yes, this has gone beyond DIY for the average DIY'er, bike shops are not really engineering works, you likely to find a mampara with a monkey wrench trying to sort this one out (although that might be a good way to extract the shaft in this case)

But you going to need tools & suss to sort this one out, and not do further damage to the crank etc and I suspect a Lo0k pedal is going to be sacrificed in the process, at least the shaft.

How did the hex 'nut' recess in the shaft strip in the first place? Perhaps the Allen Key wasn't in all the way and/or a bit skew?

Or buy proper pedals that can be removed with a pedal wrench. That is why they are longer than normal whrenches. Allen keys are short and does not afford the same torque effort. Cannot really understand a silly design like this.

Oom you get a long handled 8mm Allen Key for this purpose, with a nice foam coating, lots of leverage. Most pedals have this system now. More a positive drive that than old skool pedal wrench, at least that's how I feel about it.

Handy tip of the evening: never pack ur pedal wrench in your cabin luggage to save weight in ur checked in luggage, they wont let it through.

Oom you get a long handled 8mm Allen Key for this purpose, with a nice foam coating, lots of leverage. Most pedals have this system now. More a positive drive that than old skool pedal wrench, at least that's how I feel about it.

Handy tip of the evening: never pack ur pedal wrench in your cabin luggage to save weight in ur checked in luggage, they wont let it through.

Problem with an Allen Key is that the effort is offset. If you are not used to them they can slip out and cause damage. That is what most likely happened here.

A pedal wrench puts the effort on the flats on the axle and the contact point is spread over a bigger contact area. Why would designers shy away from this tried and tested concept?

Thanks for those who gave some constructive advice :thumbup:

For those more interested in commenting on my "snake encounter", why not revive that topic and we might have some updated photo's to publish ;)

Ok so I tried removing my look keo carbon road bike pedals with my 8mm allen key socket bit but I only managed to strip the hole where the allen key fits. And yes I did turn it the right way to loosen it and also soaked it with Q20 :thumbup: It would appear that the thread of the pedal has seized in the crank arm. :( How this happened is a mistery to me as I greased the pedal threads about 6-8 months ago. The left pedal came off with no hassles at all :thumbup:

So is it possible to loosen the pedal without having to drill the thing out?

Thanx

Try a splined socket a size up - before you try the drill thing. You will have to hammer it in straight and true. And NB that you are turning it in the right direction. Even then NB again.

Use a longer socket wrench aswell.

Edited by The Drongo

Try a splined socket a size up - before you try the drill thing. You will have to hammer it in straight and true. And NB that you are turning it in the right direction. Even then NB again.

Use a longer socket wrench aswell.

I will try it this weekend, thanx :thumbup: