Lance Armstrong is back!

gadget

I don't think lance will even podium. (that's top5)

he can't have much swimming base, so he'll be 2-3 mins back there, and in the traffic.

the ride on xterra is always brutal, his bike riding skills are not suited to a 25km uber technical course.

and then the run-he's a 3hr marathoner, thats below average for this crowd.

of course it will be the most watched Xterra in history, and maui will be an afterthought.

2011 Xterra Nationals triathlon at Snowbasin Ski Resort, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011 - Armstrong finished fifth.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realistically LA is likely to get better at this and then the same old questions will be asked about his performance.

Yeah, he'll be world champ next year.

And the answer to the questions are that he is just a phenomenal athlete.

See?

Big up to Lance!

Wonder what was the Caveman's problem? Seems like he struggled on the run.

"In the men's race, South African Dan Hugo and Conrad Stoltz led LeBrun off the bike. Lebrun then made short work of Stoltz but had to work hard to pass Hugo at Mile 4 of the run. Top USA competitor Josiah Middaugh might have contended for the win if he had not slashed a tire with two miles to go on the bike. He had to carry his machine several times during the final mile. Despite a cut leg, Middaugh unleashed a 2nd fastest 37:58 run to pass several rivals and finish 3rd, 47 seconds back of Hugo. Despite a good swim and bike XTERRA series leader Conrad Stoltz faded to 4th with a 42:27 run."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Lebrun_McQuaid_win_XTERRA_Nationals__2347.html

Second in a national championship of a tiny sub-discipline of a tiny niche sport. I am impressed.

Wonder what the Caveman would have to say about this??Even better maybe we should ask Burry to commend on the strength of these Sub Discipline athletes..... :angry:

Wow. It's a sad state of affairs when the hate is so intense that a sporting achievment is overshadowed by it.

Good for Lance - not bad cracking a 5th and finishing within shouting distance of the Caveman! I didn't think he had it in him.

All the controversy aside it takes some doing to go from cycling god to off road multi discipline athlete that finishes amongst the gods of the sport.

Nicely done Dan - really enjoyed his race review - honest and raw emotion.

2011 Xterra Nationals triathlon at Snowbasin Ski Resort, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011 - Armstrong finished fifth.

suitably chastised!

will be very interesting if he makes a go for Maui, because that is a whole lot bigger than us champs.

Since I said that it became apparent that Lance has been training pretty hard for this, just seemed odd that he announced it only two weeks before the event. Well done to Dan, he's the youngest of the bigshots by a country mile.

Big up to Lance!

Wonder what was the Caveman's problem? Seems like he struggled on the run.

"While the oddsmakers had Stoltz as the favorite, the 2011 ITU off-road world champion and XTERRA Japan champ was suffering from heavy legs, thanks to all those air miles.

Too much altitude, too much climbing,” Stoltz said. “I raced in Japan and Canada earlier this month, and it was too much traveling, too much time changes. On the run, I could tell I was on the ropes.”

Read more: Lebrun, McQuaid Claim XTERRA Nationals : LAVA Magazine http://lavamagazine.com/racing/lebrun-mcquaid-claim-xterra-nationals/#ixzz1Z2n7UKcZ

Any idea how Armstrong did in the swim?From what I could pick up on twitter he got out of the water before Conrad?

Any idea how Armstrong did in the swim?From what I could pick up on twitter he got out of the water before Conrad?

Yep, according to the results LA swim was 21:55 and Conrad 22:15.

Not sure if those times reflect transition times

Looks like the swim was LA's best event of the 3

Race results and splits

http://www.xterraplanet.com/uploadedfiles/2011USAOverall.pdf

1 Nicolas Lebrun #3 Pro :24:00 1:21:59 :38:27 2:24:26

2 Dan Hugo #8 Pro :21:28 1:22:56 :40:26 2:24:50

3 Josiah Middaugh #2 Pro :23:36 1:24:03 :37:58 2:25:37

4 Conrad Stoltz #1 Pro :22:15 1:22:48 :42:27 2:27:30

5 Lance Armstrong #31 Pro :21:55 1:24:32 :42:58 2:29:25

6 Branden Rakita #4 Pro :21:23 1:27:32 :41:12 2:30:07

7 Ben Allen #30 Pro :20:46 1:31:55 :40:45 2:33:26

8 David Henestrosa #34 Pro :22:35 1:33:06 :37:47 2:33:28

9 Brad Zoller #12 Pro :21:40 1:32:19 :39:36 2:33:35

10 Cody Waite #7 Pro :25:28 1:28:20 :40:32 2:34:20

11 Will Kelsay #25 Pro :25:29 1:28:18 :41:04 2:34:51

12 Ryan Ignatz #204 30 - 34 :25:52 1:31:21 :40:13 2:37:26

13 Seth Wealing #5 Pro :21:37 1:35:51 :40:34 2:38:02

Edited by SwissVan

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking forward to his first Ironman!

Lance Armstrong Wins Arizona’s Four Peaks Urban Dirt Triathlon

Link

Updated: Oct 11th 2011 4:19 PM UTC by News

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong participated in his second triathlon of the year this weekend in Tempe, Ariz. at Red Rock Co.’s Four Peaks Urban Dirt Triathlon. Armstrong beat out local pro triathlete Lewis Elliot to take the win. He led wire-to-wire, turning in a 10:24 750-meter swim, a 46:02 13.2-mile mountain bike and an 18:21 5K run.

Those are some serious splits!

Edited by gadget

I wonder when they stop starting articles about him with "Seven-time Tour de France winner..."

When someone betters 7, in a row to boot, or they strip him of some TDF wins for dope usage.

I wonder when they stop starting articles about him with "Seven-time Tour de France winner..."

When it can be replaced with "2012 Cape Epic Winner" or "2012 Xterra World Champion"