Gearing options 29er - Cape Pioneer

deonkretch

Hi,

Just built up a Santa Cruz Tallboy and moved my 2x10 Xtr cranks from my old 26er. The gearing that I'm running is the 40-28 up front and a 11-36 at the back. I've specifically gone for the Tallboy to ride the Cape Pioneer in October and I'm slightly worried that the 40-28 cranks is a bit too 'brave' for what lies ahead? Having looked at some other sites it seems that the trend is towards a 38-26 or even smaller in some cases.

I'm slightly undecided about going back to a 3x10 up front or to go for the smaller gearing option and stick to the 2x10 which means less shifting which is what I prefer... The only worry is that I run out of gears on the seriously tough climbs...

The bike is a medium, I weigh around 75kg's and I'm by no means the strongest rider out there. I'd prefer to stick to a Shimano crankset up front but can be convinced to look at other options if there is a good reason to do so... I take it that most 10speed cranks are interchangeble?

Any advice, based on experience or other, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Deon

Hi,

Just built up a Santa Cruz Tallboy and moved my 2x10 Xtr cranks from my old 26er. The gearing that I'm running is the 40-28 up front and a 11-36 at the back. I've specifically gone for the Tallboy to ride the Cape Pioneer in October and I'm slightly worried that the 40-28 cranks is a bit too 'brave' for what lies ahead? Having looked at some other sites it seems that the trend is towards a 38-26 or even smaller in some cases.

I'm slightly undecided about going back to a 3x10 up front or to go for the smaller gearing option and stick to the 2x10 which means less shifting which is what I prefer... The only worry is that I run out of gears on the seriously tough climbs...

The bike is a medium, I weigh around 75kg's and I'm by no means the strongest rider out there. I'd prefer to stick to a Shimano crankset up front but can be convinced to look at other options if there is a good reason to do so... I take it that most 10speed cranks are interchangeble?

Thanks,

Deon

Hi Deon, I also think you should switch/change your chainrings and casette's ratio rather than buying a new crank, it will be cheaper!! And try looking at the 2010 footage, some MASSIVE climbs in the pioneer, rather have too many gears than too little halfway up the climb, just to save a few grams on the bike!! Good luck with the race, hear its a tough but awesome one!!

First option would have been to replace the chainrings, but unfortunately the 40-28 uses a different crank arm to the 38-26 or the 3x10 crank. So to go smaller up front will mean a complete new crank - that's the reason I'm thinking about 2x10 or the 3x10 option. I've made peace with the fact that I should be going for smaller up front!

Personally I would run a 3x10 crank. I like to use all my gears and yes that does include granny when the gradient gets severe.

With an event like Cape Pioneer which is said to rival Epic, you don't want to exhaust yourself just because you have the wrong crank. Keep your options open.

It comes down to how you ride. Like I said I use all 3 rings depending on the terrain and generally I'm a pretty quick climber so using granny is by no means chickening out.

so my 2cents is spend the extra and get urself a decent 3x10 chainring set. When you kakking off some huge mountain at the end of a long day you wont regret it.

Hi,

Thanks,

Deon

i assume you have fooled around with these sort of tools, really helpful to see exactly what the top and low end of your different setups would be.

if nothing else, it sure as hell beats angry birds

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html?R0=28&R1=40&R2=NaN&C0=11&C1=13&C2=15&C3=17&C4=20&C5=23&C6=26&C7=30&C8=34&C9=36&C10=999&CAS=0&WI=31&CR=170&RT=1&ST=0&RPM=90&SRT=0&lRPM=80&hRMP=100&G=show&S=no&TITLE=&HL=1

I use a 26-40 with an 11-36 out back, I climb okay but even then the easiest gear with that setup starts to bite a bit on long steep climbs, maybe a 24-38 or 36 is a better option for you? Although that depends on how many long open flat roads there are?

This is the problem with a 29er, you can't simply move a crankset from a 26er, the chainrings needs to be smaller.

Have discussed gearing for 29er with a ex pro recently, his advice is to go for a 36 chainring as the large one, not sure what options are for the smaller chainring

Try this gear calculator to see where you are.It is only 9 speed triple but just leave the small back chainring out. Most people foget that the same gearing on a 26er is not the same on a 29er as your final drive ration is a function of the tyre circumference as well. My opinion is to go to a 3x10 but keeping in mind that you will need a 3x10 shifter for the front as well not just the crank.

http://www.sportsdigest.co.za/gearcalc.shtml

Edited by Ferrous Oxide