Show us your pets

tunariaan

I have always had Rotweillers. I think a few pics are earlier in this thread as well. The oldest, Cleo(patra) has been with me since I bought my house in 2000. So around 14 years old. She has a little of a Labrador maybe in her, nose too long for Rotweiller etc.

Point is she was fit as a fiddle until about 3 months ago. Started to struggle to walk. So now she sleeps inside while the other 3 are outside. She is on pills twice a day to help with sore bones/muscles (rumatiek in Afrikaans). Her spirit is still so willing, when we take the others for a walk she will hop-a-long to the gate and demand a chance as well. But after about 50m she starts tumbling so it is quick, just to give her a chance to smell the neighbour's plants and cats.

Today when it started raining here in centurion she was sleeping on the lawn and didn't even try to come in. Enticed with treats but nothing worked. So half carried her inside (still bloody heavy!). She doesn't cry out as if in pain, but it is obvious she has worsened a lot in last few weeks.

When/how do I decide she is struggling too much and take the ride to the vet? Two years ago I put another Rotweiller down, similar symptoms but one day he just couldn't get up anymore. Vet took x-rays and the conditions of the hips was very bad so recommended that I put him down.

I don't want to punter down, but she is 14 and I also don't want her to suffer. In a way I'm chicken and hope the decision gets taken for me in some way :-(

Shame man, I had to put down my Husky about six months ago, it is the worst feeling in the world and you go through so much different emotions. 14 years was a good innings and I know words does not make it easier, but good luck

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, we live across the road from a primary school so our's love visiting the school. The kids run up to them and the parents heads for the hills at the approach of the "Wolves".

Any update on Emily Ian?

Only when she's looking up, or in the wind on the back of the bakkie, otherwise they're half-cocked.

Then keep those fish hooks out of your hands!

Edited by Tumbleweed

Some more from Ian:

Ian Jones

‪#‎TeamEmily‬ update. We just got back from the vet where Emily had a check up.

Great news all round, she has picked up another kg and is now 12.5kg so a gain of just over 4kg since she was found. Her heart is now normal size and all other organs normal except for a slightly enlarged spleen. Her lungs are much better but still a little fluid so we will continue the medication for a while.

All in all everything is looking good and they don't need to see her again unless she has any problems.

Almost party time, just need to let the sores heal on her bum and continue the gradual weight gain. She has another physio session today as well.

Once again we have to thank the wonderful team at Lammermoor Veterinary Clinic who have done such a fantastic job in giving Emily this second chance.

Of course thanks to all Emily's supporters it always gives us such a warm feeling to read all comments and well wishes, you guys rock. — with Siobhan Kelly and 2 others.

Guest Latent Blue

I would like to ask some advice.

My buksie has been a little strange the last couple of days. He hasnt touched his food since Sunday.

He does eat a treat or whatever else i give him, but not with the vigor one expects from a 1yo jack russel.

He is also chowing a lot of grass!?

Is it just n tummy ache or something? Could he be getting ill?

Otherwise he is calm and looks happy and playfull...

I would like to ask some advice.

My buksie has been a little strange the last couple of days. He hasnt touched his food since Sunday.

He does eat a treat or whatever else i give him, but not with the vigor one expects from a 1yo jack russel.

He is also chowing a lot of grass!?

Is it just n tummy ache or something? Could he be getting ill?

Otherwise he is calm and looks happy and playfull...

Have you tried to give him a Drontal? Fleas carry worm eggs this time of the year, so deworming once a month or so is not a bad idea.

R.I.P oubaas se honne. 15 fun years.

Zoey (25 Feb 2014)

RIP Zoey, run free over the Rainbow Bridge. Those are very powerful eyes.

Condolences to you all.