Show us your pets

tunariaan

Very cool, we live across the road from a primary school so our's love visiting the school. The kids run up to them and the parents heads for the hills at the approach of the "Wolves".

I have the same problem. Mine (3 Border Collies) chase absolutely everything and anything that moves (to play of course) :P and the more they run, the more they chase.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem. Mine (3 Border Collies) chase absolutely everything and anything that moves (to play of course) :P and the more they run, the more they chase.

Hahahahahahahaha! I posted some pics a couple of pages back of when I took Tumbles to Breandan's school. He was such a hit that we was actually running away from the kids to get some peace! Hahahaha! He did lead me to some nice soccer mums though :-)

He looks startled!

What's that strap on the floor? *being nosy*

Its not nosey - its HubCludo Tumbles... :ph34r:

I wonder how htone is - he hasnt been around for ages?

I have always had Rotweillers. I think a few pics are earlier in this thread as well. The oldest, Cleo(patra) has been with me since I bought my house in 2000. So around 14 years old. She has a little of a Labrador maybe in her, nose too long for Rotweiller etc.

Point is she was fit as a fiddle until about 3 months ago. Started to struggle to walk. So now she sleeps inside while the other 3 are outside. She is on pills twice a day to help with sore bones/muscles (rumatiek in Afrikaans). Her spirit is still so willing, when we take the others for a walk she will hop-a-long to the gate and demand a chance as well. But after about 50m she starts tumbling so it is quick, just to give her a chance to smell the neighbour's plants and cats.

Today when it started raining here in centurion she was sleeping on the lawn and didn't even try to come in. Enticed with treats but nothing worked. So half carried her inside (still bloody heavy!). She doesn't cry out as if in pain, but it is obvious she has worsened a lot in last few weeks.

When/how do I decide she is struggling too much and take the ride to the vet? Two years ago I put another Rotweiller down, similar symptoms but one day he just couldn't get up anymore. Vet took x-rays and the conditions of the hips was very bad so recommended that I put him down.

I don't want to punter down, but she is 14 and I also don't want her to suffer. In a way I'm chicken and hope the decision gets taken for me in some way :-(

post-18551-1392996389,565.jpg

I have always had Rotweillers. I think a few pics are earlier in this thread as well. The oldest, Cleo(patra) has been with me since I bought my house in 2000. So around 14 years old. She has a little of a Labrador maybe in her, nose too long for Rotweiller etc.

Point is she was fit as a fiddle until about 3 months ago. Started to struggle to walk. So now she sleeps inside while the other 3 are outside. She is on pills twice a day to help with sore bones/muscles (rumatiek in Afrikaans). Her spirit is still so willing, when we take the others for a walk she will hop-a-long to the gate and demand a chance as well. But after about 50m she starts tumbling so it is quick, just to give her a chance to smell the neighbour's plants and cats.

Today when it started raining here in centurion she was sleeping on the lawn and didn't even try to come in. Enticed with treats but nothing worked. So half carried her inside (still bloody heavy!). She doesn't cry out as if in pain, but it is obvious she has worsened a lot in last few weeks.

When/how do I decide she is struggling too much and take the ride to the vet? Two years ago I put another Rotweiller down, similar symptoms but one day he just couldn't get up anymore. Vet took x-rays and the conditions of the hips was very bad so recommended that I put him down.

I don't want to punter down, but she is 14 and I also don't want her to suffer. In a way I'm chicken and hope the decision gets taken for me in some way :-(

That's a really really tough decision to make. A few years ago we had to make the same decision about our Rottie, Jake. He was a true gentleman. He was also fine and then all of a sudden started struggling to walk. We took him to the vet and the prognosis was bone cancer. He deteriorated extremely quickly after that. My parents decided to make the decision to put him down that if he broke a bone, that he may end up being in too much pain that when we helped him that the may accidentally bite one of us without really meaning to. The day he was taken to the vet was probably one of the saddest days in our house ever.

In a way I think it was good, because as I said, he was a real gentleman, and he was able to leave this world with dignity still. At the rate that he was deteriorating, I think if he lasted another month we would have been surprised.

The way I personally see it is that if their quality of life is not what a dog's life is supposed to be like, then it would be time to make the decision. Ie, they're in pain, they're suffering, they can't walk anymore.

Cleopatra sounds like a really special companion. Strongs to both you and her.

Joeboy, sorry to hear, many of us have been in your difficult shoes before. My take on it is that the animal must come first, no matter how hard the decision is for us. It is a tough responsibility we took on the day we got the cute puppy and we have to see it through to the sad end. No 2 situations are ever the same, but my own take on it is to make the decision on 2 facts. 1. Is the animal suffering? 2. Is there a fair likelihood of recovery? Hope it helps in making the call. Whatever the case, it is never easy.

Damn, Joeboy... sorry to hear. Dogs and cats really worm their way into you hearts, don't they? My wife - who up until recently was a cat person through and through - changed her tune when our brak (we don't know wtf he is) started sleeping as close as possible to her when she was pregnant with my little one. Regardless of how hot it was, or how she was feelong, his head would be either on a leg or he would be curled up next to her.

Your big girl looks like such an awesome dog. But DJR is right - the needs of the dog come first, and it's unfair of us to make them stay around for longer than their fragile bodies can handle it. 14 years is a very healthy innings for a rottie, and if the onset was as sudden and as severe as you say it was then personally I think it's time to bite the bullet and take the long road to the big kennel in the sky.

Really sorry for yiu dude... never an easy decision to make. I've lost 2 dogs to cancer, one tl a car (my mom drove over his back leg when he was in his very late teens) and one to drowning (she was 21 years old and blind as a bat, but she fell into our pool when we were away and the house sitter was looking after the place) so I know what you're going through. It never gets any easier...

Whatever you choose - make sure it's the right thing for the dog.

Guest Latent Blue
Thanks guys ... Will go to vet and also get an opinion

Good luck. Its a really tough thing to do. We had to do it to one of our dogs (when i was in primary school). She had cancer , the surgery failed she and was suffering way too much.

In the end you just want whats best for them.

Fudge loves sitting at my feet, can be a pita when I'm busy, as I'm tripping over her all the time.

post-2975-0-67900200-1393166771_thumb.jpg

So that's why you wear 4x4 socks, to get over the obstacles! ;)