Giro d'Italia 2012

Tankman

It seems Cav just didn't have the legs today to accelerate like he normally does, and he got beat fair & square.

They were all on the Rai after party show,. what a laugh .... pity I don't understand a word of Italian,

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie was looking good in the last 75m. Flip I wished he had at least a podium. Maybe in the tour when farar disapears in the crowd

Done the maths for red jersey.

29pts difference.. Rodriguez requires 30 pts to guarantee red.

If over the remaining mountain stages J-Rod wins a stage he will only need to place 13th or better in the other to win red.. If he fnishes 2nd in a stage then 7th or better on the other will secure red. 3rd, and 4th or better on the other will secure red.. Placing 4th or lower on both remaining mountain stages will ensure Cavendish wins red.

That it would seem shoud be pretty doable for Rodridguez (although i think he will have one really bad day).

on the other hand..  There is an outside chance (depending what happens tomorrow and what sky decide to do) that Cav could contest the intermediate on Saturday. It comes after a couple of Cat 3's but theres a good 40km before the sprint point.

If so, a win on one stage would leave J-Rod needing 7th or better on the other for red.

2nd place on one stage, and he would need 3rd or better on the other to win red.

I must admit Italian sprinting has quite a future. Guardini, Appollonio, Viviani, Guarnieri, even Nizzolo could be mentioned here, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too. It will be interesting who of those will be most dominant in a few years from now, especially Guardini, Appollonio and Viviani are very promising sprinters.

Agreed. I thought he looked a little uncomfortable on the last climb at times but he is a tall guy so when he leans over the bars he touches the wheel.

In 2010 Hesjedal was over 2 minutes behind Rodriguez on the morning of the ITT and he ended the day ahead of Rodriguez by almost a minute... Going to be interesting to see where the race goes tomorrow and Sat.

Yeah, I think its just the way he rides, he just looks uncomfortable :) - a bit like Chris Anker Sorensen who ALWAYS looks like he is in trouble to me. :lol:

Scarpo said after the race he started cramping just before the top of the climb, but he took it easy for a while and recovered which was clever on his behalf, its so easy for things to go drastically wrong so quickly, I mean look at Kreuziger, he pushed into the red too far, bonked badly and thats it, game over.!

I must admit Italian sprinting has quite a future. Guardini, Appollonio, Viviani, Guarnieri, even Nizzolo could be mentioned here, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too. It will be interesting who of those will be most dominant in a few years from now, especially Guardini, Appollonio and Viviani are very promising sprinters.

Yeah, Guardini is still very young, even Cav was surprised at his age when he heard at the RAI after show, I chuckled at his comment "Well then he has a lot more energy than me." referencing to his age.

You are also forgetting Ferrari who is also still going into his prime, and doing pretty well here I may add.

The reason I didn't mention Ferrari is due to the fact that i don't like the sakkie :blush:

So disappointed in my boy yesterday, just getting over him losing to that guy in lumo yellow, Guardini. 1st Chippo slags him off, then a guy on a Chippo bike rides away from him. Not surprised he was so angry at the finish. No respect from this Guardini guy.

Oh well, back to the boring hills today ;)

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2012/tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_19.jpg?v=%3C!--%20%5Ban%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive%5D%20%20--%3E

All the action on EuroSport with David Harman and Sean Kelly from 13:30 at http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-6.php other languages http://sports-livez.com/

Expected time of ascent of Passo Manghen from 14:04 to 14:26, then it's all up and down, final climb expected from 16:41 to 17:23 then 15 to 20 mins climbing.

Just cancelled all topless shoots for the day, my boy is going to hurt dragging his @rse over these hills.

Who is going to crack in the high mountains today/tomorrow?

Its going to be a riveting next two days!

post-3699-0-21571900-1337927571.jpg

Who is going to crack in the high mountains today/tomorrow?

Its going to be a riveting next two days!

Yep, I just hope its not Scarpo,.... I'll be gutted.! :D

To be honest the mountains today and especially tomorrow favor Basso's style, long and grinding, he can ride tempo forever but he cant respond to explosive attacks like Rodriguez and to a lesser extent Scarponi are famous for, so if they dont attack him with constant accelerations and get away, I think he will just wear them down and win, he has really surprised me with his form I have to say.!

Hesjedal, I dont know, to me he is an unknown factor, we will just have to wait and see how he go's, I really dont know.

.......However, I do like little Pozzovivo a lot, he has burst onto the scene with almost no fanfare and he could just put the cat amongst the pigeons, certainly I dont think they are going to lose him on the climbs.!

Robbie was looking good in the last 75m. Flip I wished he had at least a podium. Maybe in the tour when farar disapears in the crowd
Nice looking kit!

Credit: Photo: © Roberto Bettini

via Cyclingnews.com

post-615-0-04005200-1337928528.jpg

Edited by splat

The final climb today.

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2012/tappa_19_S07.jpg?v=20120420134159

The Mortirolo. first real; climb tomorrow going to claim a lot of victims.

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2012/tappa_20_S03.jpg?v=20120420134452

Then the Stelvio

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2012/tappa_20_S05.jpg?v=20120420142803

Edited by JimmyB

Done the maths for red jersey.

29pts difference.. Rodriguez requires 30 pts to guarantee red.

If over the remaining mountain stages J-Rod wins a stage he will only need to place 13th or better in the other to win red.. If he fnishes 2nd in a stage then 7th or better on the other will secure red. 3rd, and 4th or better on the other will secure red.. Placing 4th or lower on both remaining mountain stages will ensure Cavendish wins red.

That it would seem shoud be pretty doable for Rodridguez (although i think he will have one really bad day).

on the other hand.. There is an outside chance (depending what happens tomorrow and what sky decide to do) that Cav could contest the intermediate on Saturday. It comes after a couple of Cat 3's but theres a good 40km before the sprint point.

If so, a win on one stage would leave J-Rod needing 7th or better on the other for red.

2nd place on one stage, and he would need 3rd or better on the other to win red.

Geez, spending time on that analysis, I think you need to change your handle to "THE Cavendish" :thumbup:

Edited by Akon

The Mortirolo. first real; climb tomorrow going to claim a lot of victims.

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/static_images/ciclismo/giroditalia/2012/tappa_20_S03.jpg?v=20120420134452

Wow, 22%! Won't it be faster to run up the climb with the bike on the shoulder then? :w00t: