ethics on the hub

robb

Easy - don't buy from Noobs!

Suppose it is easier for some of us that know a lot of good oaks here! :D

Yes, where I could. The seller deleted his ad too quickly for me to add a negative reply.

You can go to the seller's profile page and add a rating direct from there.

ethics on a online forum? you have to be kidding. Why would a total stranger show any thics when dealing with another total stranger? Annonimity allows the worst in people. If you don't know the guy and hav no personal references about his honesty, why would you deal with him? Just because he is on the hub does not make him/her all of a sudden a honest joe cyclist.

Again, buyers and sellers beware, if you don't know the person you are dealing with, take extra caution, just like you would when you bought any other second hand stuff from a LBS or Gumtree or the classifieds.

I concur with Witkop.

It is naive to think that just because some of us know each other that all transactions are somehow magically secure.

This is the internet. Transact with caution.

Yip Mackie, I agree 100% with your statement.....feeling. i had again this weekend a guy that just simply did not do what he said he would,,,,,namely pitch to view as HE requested from me,that's after I went and collect the item from storage,needless to say,that already is a red light flashing for me and I will not do business with this newbe on the hub....... but the avg person I have dealt with was very good.

Then there's Jumbojetbaby. Says I can take his fork, confirms it on the forum, and then gives it to someone else :thumbdown:

I bought a Thomson post (unseen) from him last week, got it for a great price, it was in excellent condition and arrived as promised 24 hours after concluding the deal...very happy dealing with him.

It's not a Hub issue, it's a person issue.

Agreed 100%

bought my road bike as a new hubber from another hubber selling on behalf of a friend... looked dodgy but other guys had seen the bike and posted about it, which helped. It's hard to find a bike my size, 2nd hand and accessible, so I really wanted it. But I was not 1st in line. Funny thing is someone else from my part of the world bought it but the his GF didn't want it - too small. Long short, I got calls, PMs, emails & in an hour I had it in my hands. Didn't even have to drive 240km to go look at it. Thousands of happy kms later... all because I phoned the guy who was selling and we chatted. That built up the relationship which made everyone get in touch with me and because of geography, I jumped the (small) queue. Nothing beats a phone call, but the Hub is there to give you an idea in the first place who you are dealing with. For me, this was a brilliant intro to the Hub. Have ethics changed that much in 2 years?? Or was I lucky? Last year I bought a bike bag from someone who also went to a lot of trouble to help. Lucky again?