Creaking SLX crankset

Meezo

Hi Hubbers

Anyone have an issue with a creaking shimano slx crankset, its damn annoying.

I've receently bought a brand new crankset, and after about 200km of riding the damn crank is creaking.

Reason i bought a new crankset is because my old crankset did exactly the same.

Reason i know its the crankset, is because the same happens on a friends bike, but he has changed he's entire drivetrain, and even bought a new slx crankset as well....

Please help!!!

1. check your saddle and seatpost.

2. if bike is fullsus check all pivot bearings.

At the risk of being 'flamed' I have never had a BB shell 'faced' and I have never had a problem that I am aware of that was caused by this ...... so the question is how important is this really :unsure:

What the f*&k does facing the BB shell mean anyway?

nubbins!

post-20304-0-32099800-1318249404.jpg

post-20304-0-32837200-1318249414.jpg

post-20304-0-49488300-1318249424.jpg

post-20304-0-64249600-1318249433.jpg

OK so a 'nubbin' question how many of the 'actual' riders on here have had theirs or even know if theirs has been 'faced'?

OK so a 'nubbin' question how many of the 'actual' riders on here have had theirs or even know if theirs has been 'faced'?

Good Question - BB. :thumbup:

nubbins!

Straight back at you. I did know what it was, but like oom Ben, I question its neccessity, and how many people have had it done, or even know it's been done.

Plus, and besides, the amount of bike shop servicing complaining I read about, you really want some bike shop wrench monkey shaving bits of your tens of thousands of rands bike?

Straight back at you. I did know what it was, but like oom Ben, I question its neccessity, and how many people have had it done, or even know it's been done.

Plus, and besides, the amount of bike shop servicing complaining I read about, you really want some bike shop wrench monkey shaving bits of your tens of thousands of rands bike?

Even worse on your full carbon BB30 'Chinarello' :lol:

All BB shells now are trued specifically as part of the manufacturing process.

The old BB shells were not done accurately for internal bearings

That's my understanding of a pretty basic concept

And yes I had it done and it was brought to my attention by the shop

All BB shells now are trued specifically as part of the manufacturing process.

The old BB shells were not done accurately for internal bearings

That's my understanding of a pretty basic concept

And yes I had it done and it was brought to my attention by the shop

Raleigh, Mongoose, Merida, GT ????

Your'e a nubbin by default. :D

NICE Guzzi That ! Bet all those surfaces are faced. :thumbup:

Every since the new external BBs, I've always taken my bikes in to have it done. No use in buying the tools if you're only gonna do it every 3-5 years.

Hey that face tool looks like another weigh to shave a few more grams of weight off?

:clap:

My bladdy Zula with bladdy 2011 XTR is creaking and its from the crank / BB, done all the other checks i.e. pedals, shoe cleats, seat post, saddle, chain ring bolts, pivots and stay. Had the BB serviced after epic (as well as pre epic) and have only done about 1000 km's post epic.

Really it gives me the shitz....

Hey that face tool looks like another weigh to shave a few more grams of weight off?

:clap:

My bladdy Zula with bladdy 2011 XTR is creaking and its from the crank / BB, done all the other checks i.e. pedals, shoe cleats, seat post, saddle, chain ring bolts, pivots and stay. Had the BB serviced after epic (as well as pre epic) and have only done about 1000 km's post epic.

Really it gives me the shitz....

I've too checked everything and creak remains.....

On my previous SLX crankset when i tightened the chainring bolts the creak would go away for a short time then come back again, but really this is brand new cranks is this supposed to happen, especially from sort of mid-high level shimano range such as SLX.

No creaks from my bikes with SLX and XT but sometimes the origins of sounds can be deceptive, recently had a knocking noise from my rear hub which persisted even after i removed and reinstalled it, turns out the noise was actually due to spoke tension.

You lucky it's onloy your bike Swiss! My knees haven't stopped creaking since Epic ...

My knees might not creak but my saddle interface whines like taliban pack mule everytime i get on the saddle....

@ Meezo - yeah its frustrating, but without knowing where and what is causing the creak its hard to fix. I'm pissed cause i took / take my Zula to a top notch bike mechanic for assembly and subsequent services and would hope that EVERYTHING was done properly.

Edited by SwissVan