Slipping Seat Post

Motard660

I got a aluminium frame bike. The problem is that while doing some ridding, the seat post keep on slipping down the frame every few kilometers. I had tighten the quick release on several times to such an extend that I thought I am going to break the seat post ring, but it still continue to slip down. Does anybody else have the same the problem, and if so, what can I do to get this sorted out. The bike is a Merida 1000 Lite with original seat post and seat post ring.

You could have oil / grease on parts

Try this: clean the seat post and down tube with Isopropyl alcohol. Don't overtighten.

Make sure the quick release clamp is properly placed around the seat tube. The split in the seat tube should be lined up with the split in the clamp (hope this sentence makes sense). Otherwise the post will not be clamped properly.

Basically you need to rotate the seatpost clamp so that the split will line up with the split in the seat tube.

Are you using a quick release seat clamp? I had the same problem with my quick release, I just replaced it with a proper seat clamp and have had no problems since.

Are you using a quick release seat clamp? I had the same problem with my quick release, I just replaced it with a proper seat clamp and have had no problems since.

My quick release actually broke, to get it tighter. Bought another one from LBS, still slipped. But soos hulle, I then locked that one down with a cordless screwdriver, needless to say. Hulle gly nie meer nie

My quick release actually broke, to get it tighter. Bought another one from LBS, still slipped. But soos hulle, I then locked that one down with a cordless screwdriver, needless to say. Hulle gly nie meer nie

Wrong way to deal with this issue. tow words, fiber paste

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30012

How do you think carbon bikes clamp the seatpost without cracking? Cos you sure as hell would if you cinched it down with a cordless screwdriver. Btw, I use this paste for my Rockshox Reverb post, on an Ali bike frame. My clamp is lightly clamped. NEVER slipped.

Try it, you might save yourself in the long run.

or don't

Is it possible to get a similar product locally ? Tried to google it but keeps throwing out CRC etc .

Is it possible to get a similar product locally ? Tried to google it but keeps throwing out CRC etc .

Check with Wayne,they had some small black sachets a while back.

I had the same issue.

The QR seat-clamp is mostly the cause of your problem...

Get yourself a proper seatclamp and do the following;

1. CLEAN everything (seatpost, seat tube, clamp ect. Degrease and scrub if you have to)

2. Lightly grease everything (seat rails, tubes, post)

3. Re sssemble

4. TORQUE to spec

Problem solved.

A suggestion, is a Thomson seatclamp and seatpost. The clamp is AWESOME, and the riffles on the seatpost helps keep it in place.

I know it is relatively expensive, but for the amount of frustration it causes, there is NO price to high to pay!!!

If you buy components, follow this guideline:

Cheap, Strong, Light... Choose any 2

I had the same issue.

The QR seat-clamp is mostly the cause of your problem...

Get yourself a proper seatclamp and do the following;

1. CLEAN everything (seatpost, seat tube, clamp ect. Degrease and scrub if you have to)

2. Lightly grease everything (seat rails, tubes, post)

3. Re sssemble

4. TORQUE to spec

Problem solved.

A suggestion, is a Thomson seatclamp and seatpost. The clamp is AWESOME, and the riffles on the seatpost helps keep it in place.

I know it is relatively expensive, but for the amount of frustration it causes, there is NO price to high to pay!!!

If you buy components, follow this guideline:

Cheap, Strong, Light... Choose any 2

Oh yes, any type of assembly compount (the grainy stuff) will help for carbon and aluminum.

Use it, you will have to torque lower settings, and it will stop creeping and creaking.

:thumbup:

Is it the original seatpost for the frame? Sometimes if the seatpost is a slightly smaller diameter than needed for the frame it will slip no matter how much force you apply to the quick release. I would suggest you check that and also possibly use a proper bolt/nut config clamp.

How easily does the seatpost move when the clamp is not on? If it slides up and down really easily above is most probably true. Seatpost should almost need to wiggle back and forward to get in and out. That would be a good fit.