Chris 'not so' King

tjopper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 1/2 half years on my CK hubs. Totally neglected, only 3 services and ridden with play for a few weeks at a time and still on the original bearings.

What worries me slightly is that you say you had to have them serviced to remove play on the hubs. Did your LBS do a full service in that instance? If they did they're taking the piss, because play is a 'known issue' on CK hubs. Getting rid of it is a 5min adjustment job. When I say known issue, I mean that a while after servicing they might require readjustment.

Could you post a clearer pic of the damage?

As for replacing, the whole hub wouldn't need to be replaced. only the driveshell, so I don't understand exactly why it's such a big problem.

I cannot believe that CK themselves would not want to sort this out. They have an outstanding reputation abroad for looking after their customers.

Sorry had me "Beats by Bieber" headphones on

Dude you're spending way too much time around Montaingoaty and Meridaman!

6 1/2 half years on my CK hubs. Totally neglected, only 3 services and ridden with play for a few weeks at a time and still on the original bearings.

What worries me slightly is that you say you had to have them serviced to remove play on the hubs. Did your LBS do a full service in that instance? If they did they're taking the piss, because play is a 'known issue' on CK hubs. Getting rid of it is a 5min adjustment job. When I say known issue, I mean that a while after servicing they might require readjustment.

Could you post a clearer pic of the damage?

As for replacing, the whole hub wouldn't need to be replaced. only the driveshell, so I don't understand exactly why it's such a big problem.

I cannot believe that CK themselves would not want to sort this out. They have an outstanding reputation abroad for looking after their customers.

Cycles Africa only serviced the hub - no parts replaced. Can't get a clearer picture as it was taken with cellphone by lbs guy at cycles africa after it was opened up. Apparently I am not allowed to contact them directly...the other problem is that CAfrica have not even contacted CK about this - they are trying to 'fix' the problem and in the mean time I am inconvenienced.

Cycles Africa only serviced the hub - no parts replaced. Can't get a clearer picture as it was taken with cellphone by lbs guy at cycles africa after it was opened up. Apparently I am not allowed to contact them directly...the other problem is that CAfrica have not even contacted CK about this - they are trying to 'fix' the problem and in the mean time I am inconvenienced.

Contact them directly. Don't mess around

Why are you not allowed to contact them directly? Cycles Africa The website says contact us, not sure why the LBS is spinning you some story. Cycles Africa seem to have a set of values,

Cycles Africa doesn’t exist on its own as simply a way to make money. Our employees rely on us. Our customers, suppliers and our local community are all affected by what we do.

We believe strongly in maintaining effective, meaningful relationships with our employees, customers and suppliers.

It means we follow ethical responsibilities to our employees, customers, suppliers, community and the environment.

We are a Cycles Africa family, upholding family values.

We depend on, support and respect all our customers, suppliers and employees. We are all part of the greater cycling community.

Our values encompass:

Compassion – To freely give our time, talents and resources to those in need without reservation or expectation.

Integrity – To be the same person inside and out. All the time. Honest and fair with everyone, always telling the truth. Keeping our commitments and accepting responsibility for our actions.

Optimism – We look to the future with a sense of purpose knowing that we can make a difference.

Individuality – Life would be boring if we where all the same.

Knowledge – Seeking knowledge begins with asking a question, then pursuing the answer.

Communication – Imperative to working together to avoid stressful situations. Solving problems without blaming criticizing, and finding fault with each other.

What have Chris King said regarding the matter? :unsure:

Edited by Caerus

This is total unacceptable customer care by Cycles Africa. Somebody in Johannesburg phone Cycles Africa and tell them to look on the Hub. We will see then how fast they respond.

Dude you're spending way too much time around Montaingoaty and Meridaman!

haha i know its a prolem.

Mountaingoaty had me singing ABBA at the irene Nissan race. MTBbarbie wasnt impressed as it was just before the climb back up to the school. dont think she'll ever forgive us. haha.

Who told you that?

Who told you that?

From their site: LBS followed this procedure...hub was repaired with worn marks on outer cone as per pics...and been back once after that - I say its *** that they don't do a better job...

Chris King

Chris King has a pretty straight forward warranty policy and we seldom have riders take us up on it!

•Headsets – 10 years

•Hubs – 5 years

•Bottom Brackets – 5 years

This warranty covers material and workmanship defects only and is for the original owner.

It is mandatory that all Chris King products that may have a possible warranty be returned to Cycles Africa and possibly to Chris King for Inspection. It is also mandatory that a Return Authorization Number (RA#) be obtained by contacting Cycles Africa before any product is returned. Additionally, a dated Proof of Purchase must accompany the product when returned.

From their site: LBS followed this procedure...hub was repaired with worn marks on outer cone as per pics...and been back once after that - I say its *** that they don't do a better job...

Chris King

Chris King has a pretty straight forward warranty policy and we seldom have riders take us up on it!

•Headsets – 10 years

•Hubs – 5 years

•Bottom Brackets – 5 years

This warranty covers material and workmanship defects only and is for the original owner.

It is mandatory that all Chris King products that may have a possible warranty be returned to Cycles Africa and possibly to Chris King for Inspection. It is also mandatory that a Return Authorization Number (RA#) be obtained by contacting Cycles Africa before any product is returned. Additionally, a dated Proof of Purchase must accompany the product when returned.

Right.

So now get hold of Cycles Africa. Ask for Tha Cheese, and give him your story.

Tell him your next stop is CK direct.

They already lost Manitou. <_<

Edited by The Drongo

update....entire thread sent to Cycles Africa and CK in US via their website contact pages...let's see response :unsure:

We wait in suspense. I was given the same rundown when I treid to force a thread on a Manitou fork. I went to their place in Johannesburg (same building as Ride and Anatomic methinks) to collect the part to be told they only deal with retailers. I said ok and went behind the counter and got the part myself. I then casually asked where I should pay and they took the munny. Case closed.

Right.

So now get hold of Cycles Africa. Ask for Tha Cheese, and give him your story.

Tell him your next stop is CK direct.

They already lost Manitou. <_<

Which is not a bad thing...

BTW: i love my CKs

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyones comments and advice. The problem hub was sorted by Cycles Africa. See below....they went the extra mile! :clap:

Johan,

I am pleased to hear that your hub issues were addressed locally. I am working with Cycles Africa to retrieve your original internals so we can inspect them for manufacturing flaws or issues, please stay in touch with me and Cycles Africa if you continue to have any problems. But I am hopeful and confident that they have solved your problems.

Thank you,

Evan Gaspar | Distributor Sales | Chris King Precision Components | 1.800.523.6008 l info@chrisking.com l http://chrisking.com I Twitter: @ChrisKingBuzz

On Nov 11, 2011, at 7:15 PM, johan@jhfourie.co.za wrote:

Hi Evan,

It just so happened that I am currently doing a 3 day XC marathon. Yesterday was the first day and I experienced the hub slipping again when it had to engage after free wheeling. I asked my bike techie to call the agent in Somerset West (they have been dealing with this all along). He came out, took my bike and replaced the inner parts. He asked me to give him feedback after todays 2nd stage.

Hopefully it works perfectly. I will keep you posted.

I have to say that I was almost surprised at their response and efforts to drive all the way here, picked up the bike, fixed it and brought it back! What a great gesture.

Kind regards

Johan

Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:19:23 -0800

To: <johan@jhfourie.co.za>

Subject: Re: Form submission from: Contact Us

Johan,

We are going to get you fixed up and running asap, hang tight while I contact cycles Africa and update them on our next move.

Thank you,

Evan Gaspar | Distributor Sales | Chris King Precision Components | 1.800.523.6008 l info@chrisking.com l http://chrisking.com I Twitter: @ChrisKingBuzz

Begin forwarded message:

Date: November 6, 2011 5:45:47 AM PST

To: "'jeff menand'" <info@chrisking.com>

Subject: RE: Form submission from: Contact Us

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response! It is indeed appreciated.

I have spoken to the agents (Cycles Africa, Somerset West, South Africa)

since posting this link on a local cycling forum. The link and story was

posted after a very frustrating period of communication between my Local

Bike Shop and the Agents for CK. According to them (agents) they have been

in contact with you guys and they are not replacing anything as it is

working in spite of the undue wear in the pictures after only 6 months. As

stated in the email it is a new hub and I have been back and forth to them

on 3 occasions to get it checked and serviced. Surely that is why you buy CK

- not to have to go back and forth and sit on the couch while your new hub

is being 'fixed' :)

Anyway I as you can tell it is more frustration in the process and passing

the buck than disappointment in the product.

Hope we can work something out.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/109256-chris-not-so-king/

Kind regards

Johan