Chris 'not so' King

tjopper

I have KIng road hubs on my training wheels, been hammering them merrily for four years now, must be close to about 30,000 k's now and only had to service them once. Engagement is better than any other wheel I have ridden.

Just my experience.. sounds like you have some dud hubs there. As Jules says, maybe try and get in touch with Chris King directly and see if they will send you out some new ones.

LL I know that this might solve the problem, but is this not the importer/distributors job?

What do they do for then if we have to do this ourselfs?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact the product maufacturer directly. I did that when my hub went and the local supplier was passing the buck. Few minutes later local supplier called saying they would replace the hub

Edited by Wet Ears

Haven't dealt with CK, but have with Cycles Africa and I'm pretty sure the issue is with them and CK. They are shockers.

[/b]What do they do if we have to do this ourselfs?

Probably not much - my experience with other warranty issues, playing broken telephone between the lbs and the distributor - has always been a slow and frustrating way to address the problem. You might as well buy online or import the stuff yourself if possible as suggested by previous posters. Hopefully with Chris King, as a premium brand with a good rep to uphold they'll be willing to help you.

I always thought CK and Tune is the cream of the crop if you looking for pedigree and quality. This is not good news and i hope you get it sorted out.

I have a simular experience with a wheelset. The lbs where i bought it is not the agent and imported it themselves. The agent ended up helping me even though the sale did not go through him

I say phone the agent. Screw that!

http://chrisking.com/hubs

We offer hubs for nearly every discipline from BMX to MTB to CX to Road including tandem.

Every Chris King hub carries a 5-year warranty and is available in 10 anodized colors

7k for a part that only has a 5yr warranty? wouldnt it be cheaper to buy something every 2 years?

Anyways, this means its still covered...I would mail them directly instead of dealing with the local suppliers.

LET US KNOW WHAT THE RESPONSE IS CAUSE I'M LOOKING AT LOADED RIMS ON CK HUBS FOR MY SS

No need to shout .

I think most of what you pay is for the bling, not peace of mind at all - the opposite it would seem.

A friend had CK hubs on his Foes dually - endless trouble too. As you say - your old "cheap" XT's are still running - my original XT's are now 6 years old and still ride beautifully on my g/f's bike. By all means bling - but within reason - I bought some fancy adonized spacers and a "brave" machined fork steerer tube cap - R100 and looks good.

Maybe best ta keep bling for non performance parts on a bike :)

... I took it back to the bike shop who referred it to the agents for Chris King (Cycles Africa). They pointed out that it was abnormal since the hub was only 7 months old. They then proceeded to service the hub and it engaged properly again for a while after the service. I had to have it serviced again in September for play on the hub.

....Cycles Africa are not prepared to replace this hub even though its less than a year old.

In the meantime the inconvenience of having to take the hub for regular repairs and having to pay for labor is insane! So my question is why pay R 7000 for a Chris King hub set and have to deal with this?

I am sure there are thousands of happy CK hubs users out there with no issues. Hence this has to be a dud set in need of replacement!

My previous MTB cheap XT hub set outlasted and outperformed the 10X more expensive set. Also the frustration of not being able to deal directly with Cycles Africa, but to be forced to speak through my LBS is ridiculous and it feels as if they are trying to pass the buck! Hence my conclusion Cycles Africa and/or Chris King do not view each individual customer as important, they rather prefer bulk sales to voiceless distributors.

Chapo. Problem No.1...you're dealing with Cycles Africa. <_<

Problem No 2. You believed whoever said you can not deal with them direct. :unsure:

Problem No 3. You appear to be under the impression that Cycles Africa and Chris King are one and the same. :blink: One is in Africa. The Other isn't.

If Cycles Africa will not come to the party (you may need to raise your voice) then I suggest you contact Chris King components directly With a well worded complaint (not a rant) outlining your dissatisfaction.

You paid 7ooo for the bloody things. HOLD YOUR GROUND.

LET US KNOW WHAT THE RESPONSE IS CAUSE I'M LOOKING AT LOADED RIMS ON CK HUBS FOR MY SS

I opted for Hope Hubs with Loaded rims and spent the rest on Loaded bars and other nice goodies. So far the Hopes have been faultless. If you're after the agrey bee sound, also check out the OTwo hubs on O Bike. Scream like a bee, bling and well priced.

Sorry had me "Beats by Bieber" headphones on

BIEBER !!! NO , THAT WILL CHANGE YOU FOR LIFE , NO BIEBER.