Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

has anyone managed to cut down, not stop smoking...like from 20 a day to like one every now and again 3-5 a week?

You give up smoking when you don't enjoy it anymore, if you cut down you really start to enjoy each cigarette and forget why you ever wanted to quit

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the trick is to try and have as few dops as possible in the first month

I did the exact opposite. Had 2-3 drinks at home every night for a few weeks. I quickly trained myself to be able to drink without smoking. Its all about what you are used to, so get used to drinking wothout smoking as quickly as possible. Medically, probably not the best advice, but it worked for me.

Day 7 - Feeling better, cravings seem to subside (hope it stays that way) - real test tomorrow @ a braai. :(

Will also try to cut back on the drinks, single whiskey and water x 3 should be enough... looking forward to a ride @ Groenkloof Saturday morning anyway, so that will be the motivation to take it easy and not to smoke. :)

(Must say that reporting or posting to this thread and comparing notes is helping a lot, for me at least.)

Edited by FuelEX

Day 7 - Feeling better, cravings seem to subside (hope it stays that way) - real test tomorrow @ a braai. :(

Will also try to cut back on the drinks, single whiskey and water x 3 should be enough... looking forward to a ride @ Groenkloof Saturday morning anyway, so that will be the motivation to take it easy and not to smoke. :)

(Must say that reporting or posting to this thread and comparing notes is helping a lot, for me at least.)

I would recommend maybe missing that braai, to mush temptation at this stage of giving up - you will be flying up those hills. Well Done :thumbup:

Well done and good luck

Problem with alcohol is it makes you forget why you ever gave up smoking in the first place. There will also be other people smoking there.

Day 13 - Still going strong. Survived the braai without having too many drinks as well.

I don't crave so much anymore, also don't think too much about it. Training is going much better and I feel good overall. Target = 21 days...

day 16 after 19 years of smoking ave pack a day(used to have marloboro / winston/camel)feeling much better from physical side but suffering like hell.after 2 weeks still 2 left in the packet of 10.

day 16 after 19 years of smoking ave pack a day(used to have marloboro / winston/camel)feeling much better from physical side but suffering like hell.after 2 weeks still 2 left in the packet of 10.

Keep going, great achievement so far. It gets easy now.

• 1 month later...

Do you think that smoking affects your performance with cycling and what does other cyclist think of smoking cyclist(Road & MTB). I saw guys on the Sani2C this year who smoked during the ride but rode like animals, extremely good climbers and very good racers. At the Amashova I saw a VA guy puffing just before the start and kept with the VA's all the way, can it be the nicotine :) ...What do you guys think? Even the TDF guys smoked in the old days during the race!

post-20823-0-25544200-1319472499.jpg

post-20823-0-02307200-1319472516.jpg

Edited by janneman72

I saw guys on the Sani2C this year who smoked during the ride but rode like animals, extremely good climbers and very good racers. At the Amashova I saw a VA guy puffing just before the start and kept with the VA's all the way.

Perhaps they would have podiumed if they hadn't been smoking.

I have the odd cigarette or two if I have had a few drinks and it definately knocks my performance for at least a couple of training sessions afterwards. Imagine how good these guys you are talking about could/would be if they didn't smoke.

Hi camerons, that's exactly what I'm referring to, how smoking affects your cycling performance, what is smoking fit etc.

We all know that smoking is bad for you therefore posts like eccentric1's is missing the plot/question here.

Hi camerons, that's exactly what I'm referring to, how smoking affects your cycling performance, what is smoking fit etc.

We all know that smoking is bad for you therefore posts like eccentric1's is missing the plot/question here.

What was the reply you got from your lungs?

Yes, cigarettes will clear your throat and help you breathe on the climbs. I hear Camel Plain has the best performance enhancing effect and of course it is the doctor's favourite brand.

Gels are also a waste of money. Rather buy a burger pie from Engen and wolf it down when you are taking strain.

Sports Science and modern doctors - bunch of snake oil salesmen. Best not to overthink your nutrition and training.