New Absa Cape Epic Logo

DJR

New Cape Epic Logo  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I think for a corporate environment it is much better, will hate to think how you use the old one on letterheads etc, and dare I say it, when you send a fax.

I like it

I won't be approaching you for any graphic design work :rolleyes: Would love to know how much that cost to do, my 12 year old nephew could have done better.

Edited by Caerus

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Addidas are no longer involved in the race. They might have had some contract with the old logo. Sure the new one is not super but they no longer have any sponsors on it so they never have to change it. Kevin is no fool. I am sure there are reasons for everything. Maybe SRAM are soon going to be in that logo. Who knows. I think it is ok.

Addidas are no longer involved in the race. They might have had some contract with the old logo. Sure the new one is not super but they no longer have any sponsors on it so they never have to change it. Kevin is no fool. I am sure there are reasons for everything. Maybe SRAM are soon going to be in that logo. Who knows. I think it is ok.

adidas has been replaced by Craft.

The reasons for the change are very sound in my (humble) opinion. Listening to Kevin Vermaak at the route launch, when they designed the old logo he didn't have much experience with brands / logos etc. The old logo is very complex. Many colours and complex shapes make it less flexible for use in branding. Difficult to print it really small and on different materials, embroidery would be a nightmare and the many colours push up printing costs for all marketing collateral and apparel.

They say the test it to produce something that looks good and is recognizable even in black and white. Unfortunately, this lends to a more simple (some might say bland) design with fewer colours and solid shapes.

That said, the new logo will take a little while to grow on me. The two chain rings might be mechanically incorrect, but are meant to symbolise the partnership aspect of the race.

Some might remember us changing The Hub logo about 2 years back. The old one was dated. It had gradients (too many colours), overlapping shapes and defied all sorts of thinking when it comes to brands / corporate identity. When we changed there were many similar responses and a big call to bring back the old one. I think (hope) that with time most have come to like the new logo.

adidas has been replaced by Craft.

I know. But they are not in the logo. Maybe they didn't sign for more than a year?? Wonder how much Addidas was paying for their name in that logo. All we got from them was 2 shirts and a pokey bag. Maybe we are going to get more and better stuff in 2012. Well it was a thought... :D

I know. But they are not in the logo. Maybe they didn't sign for more than a year?? Wonder how much Addidas was paying for their name in that logo. All we got from them was 2 shirts and a pokey bag. Maybe we are going to get more and better stuff in 2012. Well it was a thought... :D

Kevin said at Wednesday's launch that it would indeed be better. ;)

Margarine?

That's Kraft, you nana.

Your 12 year old would be able to do Nike's logo as well, and the ABSA logo and it is not as if Adidas reinvented the wheel for their log, Puma, difficult one that, Apple.

I just think that at the scale of the Epic, it must be a nightmare to get the old logo printed on all different medium, not even to mension trying to do embroidery onto clothes, so, even though I is nog a busy as the old one, in the long run it does make sense, and as boring as the "gears" might look, it does give the option of animated graphics for TV etc

Just a few other boring logo's I can think of

Facebook

Twitter

and dare I say this "the Hub"

Chain Reaction Cycles

FNB

Liked the old logo much more and as previously mentioned on the thread the new one does not exactly embrace the feeling of mountain biking in south africa..

Although addidas is not longer involved I'm sure we as Thehub members could've come up with a few excellent designs that Kevin and co could've chosen one.

Your 12 year old would be able to do Nike's logo as well, and the ABSA logo and it is not as if Adidas reinvented the wheel for their log, Puma, difficult one that, Apple.

I just think that at the scale of the Epic, it must be a nightmare to get the old logo printed on all different medium, not even to mension trying to do embroidery onto clothes, so, even though I is nog a busy as the old one, in the long run it does make sense, and as boring as the "gears" might look, it does give the option of animated graphics for TV etc

Facebook

Twitter

Chain Reaction Cycles

FNB

There is alot more to a logo then fancy colours. Look at Edgars. No matter where you are, you will always recognise it.

It's not difficult to reproduce this logo on anything.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cnvVkp3rglc/TAjFmJ54BrI/AAAAAAAAAuo/wR1zN8k_XHs/s1600/logo_capeepic_08.jpg

Edited by AndreZA

There is alot more to a logo then fancy colours. Look at Edgars. No matter where you are, you will always recognise it.

It's not difficult to reproduce this logo on anything.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cnvVkp3rglc/TAjFmJ54BrI/AAAAAAAAAuo/wR1zN8k_XHs/s1600/logo_capeepic_08.jpg

ok dan

Facebook

Twitter

Chain Reaction Cycles

FNB

HuH :huh:

Thats the most rubish logo I have ever seen

I hope as hell he never paid for it because the company that did it dont have a clue.

Those chainrings are beyond lame

The reasons for the change are very sound in my (humble) opinion. Listening to Kevin Vermaak at the route launch, when they designed the old logo he didn't have much experience with brands / logos etc. The old logo is very complex. Many colours and complex shapes make it less flexible for use in branding. Difficult to print it really small and on different materials, embroidery would be a nightmare and the many colours push up printing costs for all marketing collateral and apparel.

They say the test it to produce something that looks good and is recognizable even in black and white. Unfortunately, this lends to a more simple (some might say bland) design with fewer colours and solid shapes.

That said, the new logo will take a little while to grow on me. The two chain rings might be mechanically incorrect, but are meant to symbolise the partnership aspect of the race.

Some might remember us changing The Hub logo about 2 years back. The old one was dated. It had gradients (too many colours), overlapping shapes and defied all sorts of thinking when it comes to brands / corporate identity. When we changed there were many similar responses and a big call to bring back the old one. I think (hope) that with time most have come to like the new logo.

I Agree that the logo probably did need to be reworked for practical and business reasons. However, the new logo have left a lot to be desired. At the same time, in a year or two it will make little difference. No one will remember and the Cape Epic will talk for itself. It is one of the greatest races in the world - good or bad logo.

Sorry to see the old logo go.

It was one of the most recognisable emblems in the cycling fraternity, local and international.