Newbie Cleats..... OUCH!

DeCleated

There are only two types of riders... those that have fallen and those that are yet to fall..

+1

When you are really moeg whilst riding up a steeep hill, its normally easier not to unclip when you need to stop for a rest :blink::blink:

Im a week on clips now and had 3 falls with it. The best one was yesterday when I toke a slow ride wondering around and forgot to clip out before I stop. :D :D :D

Tip: Only loosen 1 pedal clip; work out which way you fall more often & loosen that clip!

Somehow I think we tend to assume that we will want to put our left foot down when we stop. That works when things are planned and predictable.

My experience is that if I want to stop in a hurry, then my right foot wants to get out first.

1 thing guaranteed in cycling, you will fall... The legend of cycling happens in the stories of how when where and how it happened right in front of the hottie!

I don't there is a formula other than " you fall of the bike, you get back on the bike" , cause you are going to fall off, not clipping out, taking the wrong line, misjudge a corner ... It will happen when you least expect it ...

I've never fallen because of cleats, though I did have a traffic light tumble in th 80's with old style toeclips. That was during the neon lycra phase, so was way more embarrassing.

Cleats are nerve wrecking in the early days. After a while of cycling showing of your bruises actually becomes a bit of a fashion statement.

A year or so ago I got my first road bike and decided to ride without cleats till I get used to it. Thing is I was used to riding mtb with cleats. I almost fell off my roadbike because my feet wouldn't stay in the right place on the pedals. Take some time getting used to, but once you are used to cleats you will never look back!

I fell off at the robot at the bottom of suikerbossie on my 1st ride with cleats on the road bike.

Some cars behind had a laugh and I haven't done it since.

make sure the cleats are installed correctly - i have come across two incidences where cajees installed cleats upside-down making it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to unclip.

I think the common theme to falling because you are clipped in is because you forgot you were. Always be mindful of that fact, and then read the path ahead for potential falling situations, then unclip prior to that. Cant go thru life unconscious and then wonder what's the magic formula to getting it right :lol:

The other 1% of the time, it's simply about how quickly you can unclip before the slam ;)

@ DeCleated: How many falls so far?

Luckily only twice(so far)! Both times were when I was not paying attention.......... and standing still!

My girlfriend hosed herself taking photos of me on the ground. I think I will get her a pair aswell and make sure I have the camera ready! :D