Club 100 vs Cycle Lab

Falco

I'm thinking of joining one of these two next year, interested in opinions of current or ex members.

What's good, what's bad, and what's ugly?

(for road riding)

Edited by Falco

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's questions you need to ask yourself before joining.

1. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

2. Is the R1000 a year worth the tent at some events?

3. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

If your answers to 1 and 3 is yes then you should not join.

Club 100 were good to me, gave me a lot of support and encouraged me to race more, do DC and ride league. I made some good friends there.

Depends were you live, Cyclelab start all rides at the shop, Club 100 start 2 rides a month from Broadacres and the rest from Paulshoff I think :unsure:

Cyclelab is closer for me

Both clubs have a similar joining fee including a set of kit but Cyclelab's annual renewal is about R400.00 less

I'm thinking of joining one of these two next year, interested in opinions of current or ex members.

What's good, what's bad, and what's ugly?

(for road riding)

This will be interesting . . .

1. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

3. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

Have you ever joined and ridden with a club?

1. Not stopping at lights is a big issue for me, and one that I have pointed out to Club 100 riders more than once. Haven't seen CL riders doing it in my area (yet)

2. Not really interested in tents, I enjoy riding alone, but the security aspect is starting to bother me.

Edited by Falco

Have you ever joined and ridden with a club?

Quite a few actually and have not found one that obeys the traffic laws. My last year of cycling I belonged to Roag and felt very safe on my own obeying every law.

What a tjop.

1. Speak to Ali at Cycle Lab. she works her butt off trying to make the Club rides safer.

You obviously have no idea how Clubs work as both Cycle Lab and Club 100 are very

strict on this. Not perfect, but they try their damndest.

2. R1000 for a tent? Where do you get this factiod from, you ignoramus? Cycle Lab is

R950 to join or R450 for renewal. The R950 includes a set of club kit. For R450, you get

catering at the Argus, 94.7, Tour Durban and Amashova. Also Club tents (with drinks) at

several other races (road - there's also a **** load of stuff for MTBers). Plus the Ride

mag subscription, plus Think Bike marshals and Club marshals every Saturday for the

road ride. Plus talks, freebies, ...

3. Ditto for 1. I presume your imagination couldn't figure out another "fact".

What I find weird is the tormented poeples (as in poep-holes) like you who complain

usually never belong to a Club, anyway... that's probably why you've got no ****ing idea

what you are rambling on about.

So to answer the original poster: both are great Clubs which cater for beginners to advanced.

Go to each one's Club rides and make your own decison.

I was kinda hoping this thread was about a dance-off between the Club 100 and Cycle Lab gang members.

I woulda paid money to see such a dance off!

What a tjop.

1. Speak to Ali at Cycle Lab. she works her butt off trying to make the Club rides safer.

You obviously have no idea how Clubs work as both Cycle Lab and Club 100 are very

strict on this. Not perfect, but they try their damndest.

2. R1000 for a tent? Where do you get this factiod from, you ignoramus? Cycle Lab is

R950 to join or R450 for renewal. The R950 includes a set of club kit. For R450, you get

catering at the Argus, 94.7, Tour Durban and Amashova. Also Club tents (with drinks) at

several other races (road - there's also a **** load of stuff for MTBers). Plus the Ride

mag subscription, plus Think Bike marshals and Club marshals every Saturday for the

road ride. Plus talks, freebies, ...

3. Ditto for 1. I presume your imagination couldn't figure out another "fact".

What I find weird is the tormented poeples (as in poep-holes) like you who complain

usually never belong to a Club, anyway... that's probably why you've got no ****ing idea

what you are rambling on about.

So to answer the original poster: both are great Clubs which cater for beginners to advanced.

Go to each one's Club rides and make your own decison.

:clap: :clap:

Depending on where you stay, I can also recommend Edenglen Cycling - excellent kameraderie, excellent group rides, and ... the biggest Cycling Club in the East!

I've seen both groups run red lights - but I've seen plenty more cars do it at 6am on a Saturday AM.

I'm a member of Club 100 - and joined after my wife had a very negative experience on a trial run with Cyclelab when she was dropped off the back of the last group, and nobody looked out for her. She has never had that experience with Club 100. That may not be an issue if you are moderately quick - but to me it spoke volumes of the attitude of the club.

I don't use the membership as much as I could, but I enjoy the odd ride out with the Club, and the MTB long rides when I do them - you see trails/routes that you would probably not find on your own.

Quite a few actually and have not found one that obeys the traffic laws. My last year of cycling I belonged to Roag and felt very safe on my own obeying every law.

ha ha, fair enough. I also like riding solo. To be honest club cycling shocked me after 8 years of dodging death on the road in London. The way the guys rode with no awareness of their surroundings and 3 and 4 abreast didn't make any sense to me.

But ultimately I guess I don't see life in such black and white terms. We almost always had good ride marshals to keep the bunch in check and the club was a good way for me to get involved with local racing.

Edited by Lucky Luke.