Club 100 vs Cycle Lab

Falco

Both clubs are similar ito riding route, support, kit etc. Cycle Lab has the extra benefit of the store, and a dsicount on purchases... not sure if Club 100 has a similar arrangement with anyone. Either way riding with a bunch offers improved riding skills, and safety in numbers. Also if u are a mtb fan its very worthwhile... :thumbup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a tjop.

1. Speak to Ali at Cycle Lab. she works her butt off trying to make the Club rides safer.

You obviously have no idea how Clubs work as both Cycle Lab and Club 100 are very

strict on this. Not perfect, but they try their damndest.

2. R1000 for a tent? Where do you get this factiod from, you ignoramus? Cycle Lab is

R950 to join or R450 for renewal. The R950 includes a set of club kit. For R450, you get

catering at the Argus, 94.7, Tour Durban and Amashova. Also Club tents (with drinks) at

several other races (road - there's also a **** load of stuff for MTBers). Plus the Ride

mag subscription, plus Think Bike marshals and Club marshals every Saturday for the

road ride. Plus talks, freebies, ...

3. Ditto for 1. I presume your imagination couldn't figure out another "fact".

What I find weird is the tormented poeples (as in poep-holes) like you who complain

usually never belong to a Club, anyway... that's probably why you've got no ****ing idea

what you are rambling on about.

So to answer the original poster: both are great Clubs which cater for beginners to advanced.

Go to each one's Club rides and make your own decison.

I have written countless letters to CycleLab, Club 100 and Capri wheelers complaining about how bad their cyclist behave on the road. Trying to control is a big step from actually controlling them. When was the last time you rode on the cradle route. While there is a perfectly good cycle lane, they still fill the whole road.

I guess you maths are not that good. R950 is damn close to R1000. I don't care what it includes. You can still get it cheaper if you do not need all the social crap.

Like I said before. I have belonged to a few clubs in my 18 years of cycling and none of them obey the rules. The slower groups are better but they only ride through the stop streets slower.

... my wife had a very negative experience on a trial run with Cyclelab when she was dropped off the back of the last group, and nobody looked out for her. She has never had that experience with Club 100. That may not be an issue if you are moderately quick - but to me it spoke volumes of the attitude of the club.

This kind of thing would be a very serious issue for me, given that my 16 year old daughter will also be joining the club. She's pretty quick, does well in the races and I very much doubt she would be dropped by most riders out there, but everyone has an off day...

Can you tell me which Cycle Lab branch this was?

I'm not a member of Cyclelab as yet but did a couple of recent club rides on Sundays to check things out. They provide a driver and van who has emergency spares if need be. There are also biker dudes who ride ahead and direct traffic at major intersections. You also get to ride with a group of 20+ riders making it very safe from bike jackers. Also you get to meet many people and training in a group can only encourage and motivate you to greater levels. There are at least 2-4 marshals for each group of riders who are tasked with ensuring everybody rides together, safely and obey the law.

Count me in as a member for 2012.

I joined Club100 in JHB over 2 years ago. What a fantastic move that was for me. They cater for every need, from beginner to seasoned cyclist for both mtb and road. You wont find a more well run institution and Angie is a pleasure to deal with.

Yes, people do jump red lights, but there is nothing that says you have to follow. Plenty guys stop as well. You choose.

I started out with Club 100 and have many friends who are members. I moved to CycleLab a few years ago and it was a hard decision in the sense that they started me out in cycling, but an easy decision when it came to finances and value for money. Cycle Lab is cheaper, has a lot more benefits and as a member I was encouraged to do more. I have never had issues with regards running red lights or being dropped by the bunch. In fact, on the days when I wasnt feeling hundreds and turned around early, the group marshall would always ensure that there was someone to ride back with me. Their intermediate bunch is a fun and whacky bunch who wait for all.

That said, like everything personalities make a difference. Go ride with the bunches, see where you fit in and have fun.

I have been a Westlake Cycle lab member for 3 yrs now. Joining them was a good move for me. Regular Sat morning group rides have become a staple part of my training. I don't attend the social tents and coffee bits (time management family and cycling). R450 a year membership, no prob.

I go through more red lights when I ride alone.

Here's questions you need to ask yourself before joining.

1. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

2. Is the R1000 a year worth the tent at some events?

3. Do you obey traffic laws by riding in single file, stop at traffic light and stop streets?

If your answers to 1 and 3 is yes then you should not join.

HAHAHAHA!!!

I ride with Club100.

Ridden with other clubs before.

Zula hits the nail on the head in all respects.

Overall, riding with them has improved my riding immeasurably, skills, technique etc.

I'm a member of cyclelab, but I've ridden with both of them, and I think that both have their positives and negatives, so the best choice is probably the one that's most convenient for you.

Cyclelab's rides, in general, wait for nobody- something that I don't really have a problem with, because there is generally a support vehicle or a slower group behind you. I do think they should give better guidelines of what pace their groups go at though. This weekend I did the D1 road ride, which was supposed to go at 24-26km/hr, but it actually went at 28km/hr.

Unfortunately, it seems to be very difficult to get large numbers of cyclists riding together to obey the rules of the road. I've seen both groups behave quite badly. This weekend Club 100 overtook us whilst we were going down that dip on cedar road. We were in the emergency lane, so they just rode in the middle of the road. There was nearly utter choas when a taxi stopped dead in front of them.

Drove past a group of about 15 cyclist the other day in Pretoria (East on Delmas road).

They were occupying the _whole_ lane, not riding single file and all of them jumped a red traffic light. $%$ annoying.

Oh get this, they even had the audacity to signal a truck (that had right of way) to stop while they jump the light.

Edited by twiga

Depending on where you stay, I can also recommend Edenglen Cycling - excellent kameraderie, excellent group rides, and ... the biggest Cycling Club in the East!

Do you ride with us regularly Os?

Have been happy with CL for a while, the benefit you derive from a club though is dependent on if you take advantage of whats on offer.

I don't really do the club rides thing, but often take advantage of the hospitality stuff they provide for members as well as some really great social events. Notably a function they had on one of the stages of le Tour and the social ride and cocktail evening with Team Bulls.

So yeah if it suits you, cool. Both clubs are pretty good I hear :thumbup:

As for controlling member, it's unfortunate but people do not always respect others and if it's one of the larger clubs it does compound the issue. Especially if the club marshall on a ride gets ignored/abused.

Personally I don't expect the club to be responsible to enforce decency, the members are supposed adults, the onus is on them and generally clubs do what they can. I feel.

Why do you want to join a club?

Join ROAG - its a virtual club online and being a member enables you to get your CSA license ... what more do you need from a club? :thumbup:

Both are great clubs.

Try each out and see which one you enjoy.

I cycle with Club 100 as I enjoy the vibe and the start is close to where I live.

Just have fun.

Why do you want to join a club?

Join ROAG - its a virtual club online and being a member enables you to get your CSA license ... what more do you need from a club? :thumbup:

I'm already a ROAG member, have been for some time, but getting a bit concerned about riding solo all the time.

If I could find a couple of riders in Midrand to train with, I wouldn't bother with a club,

BUT,

finding those riders is not as easy as it may seem.