Aftermarket frames

29" MAN

My riding-partner bought a brand new scott spark ltd last year R70k or something, 2weeks before the pioneer. And on stage 3 he broke the frame really bad as well...i also think it depends on the fall/impact on the frame... btw, i just ordered my "aftermarket frame' this morning :lol: , will let you know how it goes...

Remember to wear your helmet....no helmet no ride!;)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My riding-partner bought a brand new scott spark ltd last year R70k or something, 2weeks before the pioneer. And on stage 3 he broke the frame really bad as well...i also think it depends on the fall/impact on the frame... btw, i just ordered my "aftermarket frame' this morning :lol: , will let you know how it goes...

A very good point, carbon shatters rather than bends like Aluminium or Alloy, as I've said I really have nothing against these frames they are awesome to say the least, just buy the right one and be smart about it, but have a blast on yours man!

Indeed.

If he is, there is.

Poorly laid up carbon is a big danger. It is razor sharp.

Even more concerning if it was a low speed incident, with the correct length seatpost.

So we either need to hear the full story, or the source of the frame. For the benefit of all.

Otherwise the rant is wasted.

Burry finished Illovo Eston with a snapped carbon bar worth about 4500.

Should he stop using carbon?

Or should he have been using a bar worth, well, say 8000?

Would a CHEAPER one maybe have been stronger?

Come on tell us where you got the frame if you really are interested in informing others

Looks like packing up the bike after the ride was easy...no bike carrier hassels, but carrying all the pieces, big schlep.

A very good point, carbon shatters rather than bends like Aluminium or Alloy, as I've said I really have nothing against these frames they are awesome to say the least, just buy the right one and be smart about it, but have a blast on yours man!

Would like to be smart about it, but you're not really helping. It seems we will have better luck finding rocking horse shite then getting an answer out of you

So who do you see/ contact about a "aftermarket" frame then? Which have a good or bad reputation :unsure:

What precisely does aftermarket mean? :blush:

Mixed feelings here.

The good: Poor guy just sharing his bad fortune. As a warning to others.

The bad: I would like to see more and better pictures.

The ugly: Why the secrecy about the source and "name" of the frame? If you want to warn people, NAME the danger. As we all know, not all unbranded stuff is rubbish.

I know two guys who did all their Epic training and completed the Epic on unbranded frames, guess some are better than others

What precisely does aftermarket mean? :blush:

Unbranded as far as I know, not sure where the aftermarket part comes into it? :unsure:

• Aftermarket (automotive), the addition of non-factory parts, accessories and upgrades to a motor vehicle.
  • Aftermarket (finance), (or "secondary market" in financial parlance), is the market for trading securities that have already been issued.
  • Aftermarket (merchandise), any market where customers who buy one product or service are likely to buy a related, follow-on product.

Unbranded as far as I know, not sure where the aftermarket part comes into it? :unsure:

• Aftermarket (automotive), the addition of non-factory parts, accessories and upgrades to a motor vehicle.
  • Aftermarket (finance), (or "secondary market" in financial parlance), is the market for trading securities that have already been issued.
  • Aftermarket (merchandise), any market where customers who buy one product or service are likely to buy a related, follow-on product.

And what happens if you put your own brand on.Is it suddenly a branded frame.SOunds like a lot of bull***t to me

My son below on a aftermarket frame branded by my mate.

It ate the CPT like a mielie btw

post-523-0-05377700-1320928182.jpg

Mixed feelings here.

The good: Poor guy just sharing his bad fortune. As a warning to others.

The bad: I would like to see more and better pictures.

The ugly: Why the secrecy about the source and "name" of the frame? If you want to warn people, NAME the danger. As we all know, not all unbranded stuff is rubbish.

The good: I will gladly send other pics of the frame to anyone who sends me their email and asks for a snap

The bad: Unfortunately the suppliers detail won't be made public because it is the only name you can put to the frame, it was by no means his fault nor can he be held responsible, if he gave me the details of where he got the frame from I would gladly share that but otherwise no details, sorry

The ugly: The carbon splinters I had to pull out of my knee

I think it would have. The cheap ass ones are alu draped in a layer of carbon. Almost like a sticker. Weigh half bicycle, but they are strong.

Uhm not quite half a bicycle - 130gr...

post-945-0-67279200-1320929540.jpg

The good: I will gladly send other pics of the frame to anyone who sends me their email and asks for a snap Why waste any more of their time if they can do nothing with the info???

The bad: Unfortunately the suppliers detail won't be made public WHY? because it is the only name you can put to the frame, it was by no means his fault nor can he be held responsible, if he gave me the details of where he got the frame from I would gladly share that but otherwise no details, sorry

The ugly: The carbon splinters I had to pull out of my knee Shame

If you won't name the crap that you bought and broke then you are doing everyone here a disservice. If it broke as bad as you make out, then its a piece of junk and you should stop others from running the same risk and potentially injuring themselves.

What is your allegiance/connection to the person you bought the frame from?

If you won't name the crap that you bought and broke then you are doing everyone here a disservice. If it broke as bad as you make out, then its a piece of junk and you should stop others from running the same risk and potentially injuring themselves.

What is your allegiance/connection to the person you bought the frame from?

I have no allegiance/connection with the person what so ever, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the topic in the first place, would I? (Helps to think before you write most of the time) I'm keeping the name solely to myself for the sake of the supplier, as it not his responsibility to test these frames, it's the manufacturers responsibility, as I said if I had the name of the factory or by whom the frame was made I would say, no problem, but as I said in the bit, I don't have any of that information

I have no allegiance/connection with the person what so ever, otherwise I wouldn't have posted the topic in the first place, would I? (Helps to think before you write most of the time) I'm keeping the name solely to myself for the sake of the supplier, as it not his responsibility to test these frames, it's the manufacturers responsibility, as I said if I had the name of the factory or by whom the frame was made I would say, no problem, but as I said in the bit, I don't have any of that information

Ask Francios for a crash replacement. Any decent supplier will provide this as standard.