Aftermarket frames

29" MAN

'go down this road' No pun intended hey Velo ;)

By the way I still have these two lying around. If anybody wants to test the theory out for themselves.

post-24958-0-86446000-1320746364.jpg

Edited by AlecBLACKvoodoo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'go down this road' No pun intended hey Velo ;)

By the way I still have these two lying around. If anybody wants to test the theory out for themselves.

26" or twenty n@#i ner. Price? size?

Could Michelle help you?

Told her to look for a cheap 2nd hand frame, she already has the components a good frame will cost her R 500 or close to that.

Sorry for the hi-jack

It boils down to a couple of things as summit bikes says, ricochet_rabbit I still respect any guy (maybe not alecBLACKvodoo) out there selling these frames and would like to keep it out of the discussion, beside the day cycling becomes so political that your judged on what bike you ride or from who is the day I loose hop in humanity. AlecBLACKvodoo, please don't be as immature to bad mouth on a forum, we're all cyclist because we love it, you weren't asked to comment nor expected so keep bad mouthing to yourself please. In essance what I'm trying to say is that I've seen several carbon bikes draged by cars, hit by cars, drove into cars, OTBed, wheel whased and so on, yet none have come out as bad as the frame in question. As gummibear says this is very very unusual, so just think twice, there is a reason anyone would be spectacle to buy a no name frame over a bronded one.

I have seen many broken carbon frames and parts from high speed crashes but none looked like this.What did the frame hit to break it like that?

I have seen these cheap frames raced at road races,mtb races and CX races and they hold up very well.

Now due to your lack of skill,suddenly all no name carbon frames are rubish.I guess you were happy with the frame untill the crash?

I also know many guys/girls who ride no name brands and all are very happy.I had one a few years back and i was very happy with it.

Are you sure Brandon Els is a rep at Probike?

I never said or implied that any frame out there be it branded or not is "rubish" as I have said I've been racingthese frames for two years myself and have and still am happy with them, you are in no position to question my skill, regardless no frame is supose to break like this one dide as you said youself

When is it an "aftermarket" frame? When it is not branded or branded with a name we don't know? There are thousands (okay plenty) of manufacturers that we've never heard off. It's easy to put up a website with photos and specs and the frames will look like great bargains.

This is so true! I ride a CKT roadbike. Its not mainstream and comes from Taiwan (i think). Does this make it a aftermarket frame. When a company buys a frame and slaps on a sticker does it become "not aftermarket"?

Allot of the frames that flood the market now comes from the same production line most of our darling brands rolls out off. Does these manufacturers just sell the mould for the frame or do they sell a bunch of the frames from the moulds the companies chooses? Does these companies supply their own carbon and resins to these manufactureres? I highly doubt it. Allot of these cheap frames is nothing but "in house brands" of the company that manufacture frames for various brands.

Pls help me out if im wrong here!

Edited by Jaco-fiets

It boils down to a couple of things as summit bikes says, ricochet_rabbit I still respect any guy (maybe not alecBLACKvodoo) out there selling these frames and would like to keep it out of the discussion, beside the day cycling becomes so political that your judged on what bike you ride or from who is the day I loose hop in humanity. AlecBLACKvodoo, please don't be as immature to bad mouth on a forum, we're all cyclist because we love it, you weren't asked to comment nor expected so keep bad mouthing to yourself please. In essance what I'm trying to say is that I've seen several carbon bikes draged by cars, hit by cars, drove into cars, OTBed, wheel whased and so on, yet none have come out as bad as the frame in question. As gummibear says this is very very unusual, so just think twice, there is a reason anyone would be spectacle to buy a no name frame over a bronded one.

Sorry if I offended you, It was only a joke. I expected a snappy reply. It's just a rip off between friends try not to be too serious on the forum.

Take it back to the guy you bought it from because he should have a guarantee, it will cost a fraction of the price to fly it back east because now the box will be much smaller and will stioll only weigh 1.3 kg's or so. They will then send him one in return at their cost. You still win 29" man.

Who did you buy it from?

I find this break to be a bit "out" in the equation !?

Drongo has a very valid observation! It could not have broken like this with a seatpost of the correct length, unless it broke the seatpost as well?

Drongo has a very valid observation! It could not have broken like this with a seatpost of the correct length, unless it broke the seatpost as well?

Aha !!!!

Now we are getting to the bottom of it

Bit of a tall story????

Smart observation

Aha !!!!

Now we are getting to the bottom of it

Bit of a tall story????

Smart observation

That is what I have been saying right from the start. This frame was abused beyond its design parameters

That is what I have been saying right from the start. This frame was abused beyond its design parameters

The last time i saw a break of this nature in this manny peaces , the bike was left on the cars roof rack and the dude drove under a car port , this hooked the seat post and crumpeled the frame as seen here .

Just saying ;)

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. Assuming the break occurred just below the bottom of the seatpost, that still leaves around 10cm or so of seatpost inserted in the seat tube - well above the minimum insertion length of most seatposts I've seen.

The piece where the seatpost enters is 15cm at the point where it snapped (will add picture with measuring tape if intrested), I use a EC90 seatpost with a 31.6 diamater which is the exact same as the frame, the most common minnimum insert for a seatpost (incliding mine) is 10 cm, so the break is a good 5cm under where even minimum insert should be,in this frame I used 36cm of the actual seatpost so there was a good 14cm in the frame an aboutt +- 1cm between where it broke, and for the last time I do not abuse frames or bikes