Stretching...

More and more I'm seeing articles saying that there is no measurable evidence that stretching works, or is necessary. E.g this article... http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/flexible.htm

I'm in two minds. I don't stretch enough (according to what I think - which means not at all unless I feel tight), but 'they' are beginning to say there is no point.

However, I do stretch when I feel tight, so there must be some benefit, right?

I feel a noticeable difference on the days I stretch, as opposed to those when I don't. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that stretching is beneficial, especially for older cyclists. Maybe the teens and twenty-somethings can get away with pushing hard on the bike day after day, and not stretching, but for the rest of us ~ ssstttrrreeeeccchhhh and feel the difference.

I feel a noticeable difference on the days I stretch, as opposed to those when I don't. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that stretching is beneficial, especially for older cyclists.

And doing pilates as well helps me even more.

The article does not say that stretching has no benefit - it produces definite improved flexibility compared to the control group. It is saying that under their test conditions, weight training, over full range of motion, gives similar if not greater benefits than stretching alone. The conclusion is that, if you're doing full ROM weight training, additional stretching may be redundant.

Cycling keeps you in a restricted position for hours on end and none of your joints go through their full ROM. The flexibility benefit of weight training is not there, so some other way of improving flexibility is needed. In this case, the study shows that stretching would help.

The articles I've read that relate specifically to cycling indicate that stretching before riding gives no benefit (and may actually hinder performance), but that stretching warm muscles immediately after riding does improve flexibility.

Edited by Edman

Hi,

The article you quote asks the question. Is stretching necessary if you doing weight lifting? Since weight lifting, especially when done with free weights, could utilize a full range of motion. It doesn't propose not to stretch.

However the jury is still out as to whether over stretching is bad. I'm trying to find the article where it says. "Stretching to much can cause the muscles to become too elatic". Think of a rubber band. When there is too much elasticity the muscle cannot achieve the contraction necessary to provide the force with which to turn the craniks effeciently.

Also the web is a mine field of information. Choose where you get your information from. Lots of people have become experts overnight

I feel a noticeable difference on the days I stretch, as opposed to those when I don't. There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that stretching is beneficial, especially for older cyclists. Maybe the teens and twenty-somethings can get away with pushing hard on the bike day after day, and not stretching, but for the rest of us ~ ssstttrrreeeeccchhhh and feel the difference.

I agree. Not a single article can convince me otherwise, because of the real and undeniable way in which I can feel it make a difference. If I don't stretch for 2-3 weeks, the niggles start to arrive. I start stretching again, they go away. Proven to myself over the course of years. I don't like stretching, so often tend to slip, but am then forced to start again.

Oh, I am not very flexible for all of my stretching, just not as tight as I probably would've been.

And I also don't do any of those quick warm-up or cool-down stretches before or after training. I have a 15 minute routine that is done either in the morning or at night, every 2nd day or so.

I agree. Not a single article can convince me otherwise, because of the real and undeniable way in which I can feel it make a difference. If I don't stretch for 2-3 weeks, the niggles start to arrive. I start stretching again, they go away. Proven to myself over the course of years. I don't like stretching, so often tend to slip, but am then forced to start again.

Oh, I am not very flexible for all of my stretching, just not as tight as I probably would've been.

And I also don't do any of those quick warm-up or cool-down stretches before or after training. I have a 15 minute routine that is done either in the morning or at night, every 2nd day or so.

Upsielootlee

Yeh - the article was not cycling related, but it was the one that finally got me to post. I agree with the full range of motion thing - cycling certainly doesn't give one full range of motion.

The thing I like about Christian Finn tho, is that all his articles are backed up by research, which makes what he says worth considering.

But consensus seems to be stretching is good. Which figures.

In the same vein, I remember Jeroen Swart saying on Supersport that massage has not scientifically been proven to be of benefit, but that he does it anyway. One of the posts mentions that age may have some bearing (I'm an old fk, I'm pretty sure that it does) and wonder if these studies are skewed in terms of them probably all using university age athletes - the most easily available subjects for university research.

But what do you want to atchieve from stretching?????

Pre-race/ride stretching does nothing for me.

But I swear by a solid, post ride, stretching routine and 2 pilates classes a week. Mostly, because this clears the lactic acid and means I am not in that much pain the next day. I've convinced that I can train harder and more frequently because of stretching.

Hi,

I found a very recent question and answer regarding my thought that too much flexibility could possibly be detrimental to your effeciency

Hello guys,

Just a quick question regarding flexibility and wattage. My flexibility is generally pretty poor, I have tight hammies and a very tight back. Luckily I have no on the bike pain but was just wondering what it would be costing me in sustainable wattage?

I am doing regular stretching, yoga and core work now to hopefully remedy this.

Sam

Hi Sam,

This is a good question and has two answers. First, If you can do long rides comfortably you are probably not losing any watts in terms of power you can generate. The research in that area says that you need to be flexible enough to get into the extremes of the position you need to be in to pedal, but that more flexibility reduces rather than increases efficiency beyond that.

For instance, if you can get through the top of the stroke smoothly with your toes horizontal or down and the bottom smoothly with your heels horizontal or down, your hamstring flexibility is not limiting your power output. I hope you'd never ride like that, but being able to proves that you are not right on the edge of too tight to pedal.

When a muscle is extended rapidly it can work like a spring, storing a bit of energy for a moment and increasing the force of its next contraction. This is the theory behind plyometrics, and at certain points of the pedal stroke, that energy can also be released back into the pedals, if the spring has a bit of springiness to it. Stretch so much that the normal movements of riding don't take you anywhere near the limit of flexibility of the pedaling muscles and you eliminate that mechanism, potentially decreasing efficiency (Disclaimer: There been a lot of research on this topic in runners. There's no question that increasing hamstring flexibility correlates with reduced running economy in runners. I don't know that the research on cyclists is conclusive as yet.)

So, part one of your answer is that if you are flexible enough to ride comfortably for long distances, you are flexible enough to produce power efficiently.

Part two is more interesting though. Remember that in general power is not what wins races or makes you go fast down the road. What determines how fast you go is power compared to the resistance you need to overcome? Thus power-to-weight ratio trumps pure power in climbing, and power versus aerodynamic drag trumps pure power on a flat course.

So, the second part of your answer depends on how your hammies and back are affecting the aerodynamics of your position when you ride. If you can ride on the drops with your elbows bent and your upper back roughly horizontal, and still finish a long ride comfortably, then you are flexible enough, and your bike fit is pretty good.

If you have a choice between comfort and aerodynamically efficient position, then your lack of flexibility (or your bike fit) really is holding you back. How much depends on just how high you are sitting, but typically at 20 mph (32 kph), we see about a 1 mph (1.6 kph) difference with the same power on the drops vs the hoods with straight arms, and twice that comparing drops vs tops.

Edited by capeofstorms

My view on stretching is - stretch after exercise and on non-exercise days.

It is pointless stretching a muscle before you go exercise and then expect it to compress again for optimal use.

If you have a choice between comfort and aerodynamically efficient position, then your lack of flexibility (or your bike fit) really is holding you back. How much depends on just how high you are sitting, but typically at 20 mph (32 kph), we see about a 1 mph (1.6 kph) difference with the same power on the drops vs the hoods with straight arms, and twice that comparing drops vs tops.

Hi,

I read this part a few times and really like what is being said. Thanks cos

I stretch after rides(mix with a few core floor exercises and a few lightweight upperbody exercises)I find this benefits me, re my age 43, and I am tall 1.91m.

I no longer get lower back pain on long rides, and the need to stretch / bend my back on rides + 2hrs has greatly reduced.

I've been suffering from a sore/tight ITB for months now... the stretches im doing doesn't seem to help! Any tips out there?

I've been suffering from a sore/tight ITB for months now... the stretches im doing doesn't seem to help! Any tips out there?

Foam roller - hurts like a biatch, but does the trick.