Getting knocked down

BLACKvoodoo

I often her about cyclists getting knocked over and unfortunately, sometimes killed. Now I'm not a roadie but often cycle to and from the various trails in and around Durbanville, so I'm on the road a few times.

Why not just cycle in the yellow lane into oncoming traffic? At least you'll see the danger coming. Runners do it, and yes I know about road traffic rules but I say screw em.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you TRIED this???? If you have and are still here to suggest this, then I think you need a brain scan!

I agree. Screw the traffic rules. Just remember because you're on the other side of the road to keep right and pass left.

Edited by flymango

Why not just cycle in the yellow lane into oncoming traffic? At least you'll see the danger coming. Runners do it, and yes I know about road traffic rules but I say screw em.

Thank goodness you live in Slaapstad and not near me.

I thought it was only the muppets in Jhb who cycled into oncoming traffic.

I often her about cyclists getting knocked over and unfortunately, sometimes killed. Now I'm not a roadie but often cycle to and from the various trails in and around Durbanville, so I'm on the road a few times.

post-20304-0-84013400-1320846618.jpg

blah blah

Your post reminds me of a line from a movie.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Have fun Forrest.

the other day i almost drove into a chap riding into oncoming traffic whilst pushing a second bike - all this at about 30km/hr - he had skill, but i still though he was a tool. Seems there are more tools out there than i thought

Edited by Stretch

If I see someone doing this I always think they must belong to the PPA.

(PPA = PoePols Anonymous). Hello, I am ......... and I'm a poepol.

Edited by Taps

Have you TRIED this???? If you have and are still here to suggest this, then I think you need a brain scan!

No, but if it's so scary to you going the wrong way don't you feel even more stressed when you can't see it?

I'm just asking because I don't cycle long distances on the road.

Why?

Strangely, a few months ago I was turteling down the road (going with the flow of traffic) and at the time it was very busy, when a traffic officer pulled up next to me and told me to ride on the other side of the road facing the traffic and move over.

He even waited until I did, I rode there for maybe 500 meters and as soon as he was out of sight I hightailed it back, just didn't feel right.

..but yeah, I run facing traffic all the time and I have to say sometimes I get that sort of cold fingers down my spine when I don't hear a truck and he passes me with a hair between us, but the biggest issue I think is drivers don't expect to see you there so may not take notice of you, and I would say if you are knocked over on the wrong side of the road, you could end up with insurance issues as you would effectively be contravening the law.

If you're going at any appreciable speed, then the force of the collision will be a lot worse if you're going against traffic. E.g. if you're going at 40km/hr and you hit a car going at 80km/hr head-on, then the speed at which you hit each other is basically 120km/hr. If you were both going in the same direction it would be 40km/hr.

Yes katy but if the car hits you at 80 km from behind or 120 from the front you can still take evasive action, you can see it coming

Strangely, a few months ago I was turteling down the road (going with the flow of traffic) and at the time it was very busy, when a traffic officer pulled up next to me and told me to ride on the other side of the road facing the traffic and move over.

He even waited until I did, I rode there for maybe 500 meters and as soon as he was out of sight I hightailed it back, just didn't feel right.

..but yeah, I run facing traffic all the time and I have to say sometimes I get that sort of cold fingers down my spine when I don't hear a truck and he passes me with a hair between us, but the biggest issue I think is drivers don't expect to see you there so may not take notice of you, and I would say if you are knocked over on the wrong side of the road, you could end up with insurance issues as you would effectively be contravening the law.

Thanks for a proper answer,

Yes katy but if the car hits you at 80 km from behind or 120 from the front you can still take evasive action, you can see it coming

Pretty interesting debate on the bike safety forum on Facebook on it.

Against the flow is precisely that btw