Cricket......

E1A104

I am of the opinion that it is not always past great players that make great coaches. A great coach should be able to think outside the box, and I don't know if an ex player will be able to do that. They bring too many preconceived ideas with them. By all means, use them as consultants.

But that is just me.

i agree,Domingo might not even have played at the highest level AFAIK. Peter was the more talented cricketer, Gary has been the better coach.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion that it is not always past great players that make great coaches.  A great coach should be able to think outside the box, and I don't know if an ex player will be able to do that.  They bring too many preconceived ideas with them.  By all means, use them as consultants. 

But that is just me.

i agree,Domingo might not even have played at the highest level AFAIK. Peter was the more talented cricketer, Gary has been the better coach.

Wanted to bring up Gary, hes an excelent coach and was a damn good player in his own right. I agree with what you are saying mordin, to a certain degree. Coaching is all about tactics and having a brain for cricket, and just because you where a good player does not mean you will be a good coach. I do think however that if someone has a brain for cricket and have the experience of the players, that combination makes a good coach. Does not mean that you should only look to tick those boxes. It takes a bit more to be a good coach

So Mike Horn has now exposed that the team was interfered with.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/Proteas-Horn-confirms-political-interference-20150416

I have no big issue with them choosing the team they want. It is the CSA's team run by democratically elected officials under the CSA constitution.

But for Haroon Lorgat to publicly lie about it is not acceptable in any way, shape or form. As a supporter, I believe we have the right to know what we are watching.

CSA has been wracked by controversy for years, this just shows that the new guys are no better than the old guys.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/Proteas-Horn-confirms-political-interference-20150416

I have no big issue with them choosing the team they want. It is the CSA's team run by democratically elected officials under the CSA constitution.

But for Haroon Lorgat to publicly lie about it is not acceptable in any way, shape or form. As a supporter, I believe we have the right to know what we are watching.

CSA has been wracked by controversy for years, this just shows that the new guys are no better than the old guys.

To be honest we all knew it anyway...but it is a sad day

What really irks me though is this insistence on racial quotas.  Who said it was the norm that a country's sport teams should be representative of the citizens of that country?  I believe it should be representative of the players of that sport at present of the country.

What sport next?  Jukskei, Bowls, Archery, Swimming?

Just look at the French football team.  Almost 80% black foreigners with French passports. And yet the French public don't moan, neither do their government interfere.  Yes, there were some unhappiness after the 2010 WC debacle.

If you want more players to represent the citizens, you must develop the sport to get more players from a young age, and then support those that show promise.

Edited by Moridin

I am of the opinion that it is not always past great players that make great coaches.  A great coach should be able to think outside the box, and I don't know if an ex player will be able to do that.  They bring too many preconceived ideas with them.  By all means, use them as consultants. 

But that is just me.

I recon we let the Supersport commentators coach the team. They are experts on everything.

bizarre thing is how Abbot ends up being the most amazing bowler here. People are saying that Abbot was our best bowler - statistically he was because he took 4 against ireland, sure as hell doesn't make him our best bowler. I'm not saying this is right, I think they should have retained the team from the quarterfinals;but it's getting way too much airtime - looking for excuses in the wrong place.

FACT: in the 1/4 final Kyle Abbot had the worst bowling figures amongst the pace bowlers

FACT: in the 1/2 final Vernon Philander had the most economical bowling figures among the pace bowlers

• 4 weeks later...

so KingP035 just scored 355* in the english 2nd division....will they recall him?

hell_freezes_over.png

so KingP035 just scored 355* in the english 2nd division....will they recall him?

hell_freezes_over.png

KEIN chance

But I'm enjoying following the spectacle on TV and social media

post-182-0-01074500-1431505479_thumb.png

came here to post this video...brill

"they'll break us in two like a maori on meth"

So, can someone with more cricket knowledge please explain to little old me why Chris Morris and David Wiese were not part of the Protea CWC team.

On second thoughts, don't bother.  I think I know the answer and ain't going to like it.