Littering on Races!

Neg

do the guys who believe that it is ok to throw orange peels and those items that take longer to decompose do so in your own garden? i mean peel an orange/naartjie/eat an apple and throw the peels/ core on your grass or your drive way....?? ?? my bet is NO you dont........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that seriously miffs me as well.

And not wanting to dilute the topic with other sport - I was besides myself a while ago. Went for a nice mtb ride in Paarl mountain - and it ended up to be some fun run across there as well. Had a bunch of laughs with the joggers, all was good, till I returned a bit later.

I was soooo unimpressed and saddened to see the state of the road. There had to have been a rubbish bin (those square cartan ones, if I recall correctly, but still...) justabout every 10m. These idiots, running in the nature, not even on tarmac, just leave a blue line next to the road as they simply tossed their water sachets.

Stopped at and thanked the guys that came around after them to clean up their mess. I was ashamed that fellow athletes can do such a thing.

do the guys who believe that it is ok to throw orange peels and those items that take longer to decompose do so in your own garden? i mean peel an orange/naartjie/eat an apple and throw the peels/ core on your grass or your drive way....?? ?? my bet is NO you dont........

Have you ever heard of a compost heap? Commonly found in a garden. Used to help plants grow.

Good Post!!!

I agree. Littering sux.

I'm also the first to admit to occaisionally gunning up to a breakaway point: getting over agro, biting off a gu top, spitting out the plastic, gulping and then discarding the tube.

Didn't even realize that I had a subconscious habit.

So now it's noted...

Have you ever heard of a compost heap? Commonly found in a garden. Used to help plants grow.

Exactly! thats where that **** belongs!

You better make sure you drop a brown one before you start riding then :P .

This is something that seriously miffs me as well.

I was soooo unimpressed and saddened to see the state of the road. There had to have been a rubbish bin (those square cartan ones, if I recall correctly, but still...) justabout every 10m. These idiots, running in the nature, not even on tarmac, just leave a blue line next to the road as they simply tossed their water sachets.

miffs me too. i also b1tch and moan and make a seen, ESPECIALLY on mtb races. my experience with runners is that the overall majority will dump their sachets within 10m of a bin near the water table. that;s ok, it's quite hard getting them in the bin as you're likely to get in people's way. if you are sipping it for longer, then they hold them to the next spot.

you okes should see what kalkbay looks like on argus monday.

Bet again.

We feed the birds over ripened bananas and apples. We peel them halfway down and leave it on the wall. Birds chow down on the flesh and throw the peel on the grass. I forget about it. I see it one week later, all shriveled up, black and a 10th of it's size. So I leave it. Harm done=zero. Unsightly? Ag please, bigger things in the world to worry about.

I hate littering. I can understand, but do condemn, someone throwing their KFC or AcMAC packaging out the taxi window because these people come from "disadvantaged" backgrounds and cant see or understand anything beyond their own noses BUT when I see fellow cyclists doing the littering that really makes me mad :cursing:

I like to throw the naartjie onto the grass without peeling it, that way when you sit at the top of the eastern pavillion you can almost reach the middle of the field

see... that's were we are wrong... it starts with the small things..... so having that attitude that there are bigger things to worry about is very short sighted... that's how MOST of our water ways and country got polluted... the attitude that "someone" else will clean up after me.... just drive through most towns and cities... its just litter... but hey we have bigger things to worry bout than keeping our environment clean... dont we?? you might be ok with riding/living in a pig sty but i'm not...!!!

anyway... there is just NO justification for littering with non Biodegradables ... especially when waste bins have been provided!

see... that's were we are wrong... it starts with the small things..... so having that attitude that there are bigger things to worry about is very short sighted...

Short sighted, yeah, 'cause when I threw my banana peel in the bushes on Sunday, I may have missed my target by about 2metres. :P

I had two ladies throw their chip packets out the train lastweek. Pull the window down, gooi em out, window back up and all withoutskipping a beat.

Since they were well dressed, and I assumed educated, Iasked them who the hell was going to pick it up.

Doesn’t matter, not my problem.

They don’t have bins at rosebank station.

What do you mean it’s illegal, this isn’t Sweden.

Total bullcrap. Very hard not to make it a cultural thing asAfricans seem to LOVE littering. Luckily there are white trash out there who give caucasion bergies a bad name too.

Short sighted, yeah, 'cause when I threw my banana peel in the bushes on Sunday, I may have missed my target by about 2metres. :P

get some glasses and gooi raak next time! aim for between the eyes!! :) :) :) ;)

I looked like a garbage truck that delivered its load on Sunday at the 94.7 when I finished. And I had a lot of rubish. Wrap paper of an energy bar, probebly 5 or 6 empty waters sachets, 8 Vooma sachets, Cramp stop papers. Nothing was left on the road from my hands.

What erks me even more is the amount of people who get flat tyres who tend to throught the tube next to the road. Why not take it home and patch it. You are not just littering you are throwing away a perfectly usable tube.

If you shout at someone for littering, you've got to come across as a bigger muther than him, otherwise you are just going to get it back even harder.

I prefer the following approach. which I used recently in the Cradle. Dude was riding between Teak and the Lion Park at about 20kph. Ate gel, chucked in the veld. I pulled along side him and spoke very quietly too him, he could not hear so he leant closer and said "Pardon" I just said again very quietly that littering wasn't very nice. He got the message, and could not come back with any aggression to ruin my day. All he managed was a "Humphh"

I think this is totally the right way to aproach this.There is no need to get agro,swear and carry on just like the prick who just threw the wrapper.The next thing YOU get bliksemed and all over a piece of paper.