Littering on Races!

Neg

XTC1. what was the response? usually these organizers are SO self righteous and quick to defend! if you can organize an entire event... surely you can organize/have the decency to clean up after..... but better yet... why dont people just not litter and all will be happy!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me started!!! I nearly offed myself chasing some prick down the pass on the Karoo to Coast last year. The @#@$$R@$ had picked up a coke at the table at the top, then went on to make a big show about riding hands free for about 500m while he drank the coke and then threw the cup over the edge into the pristine valley below. All types!

On the banana/ naartjie peel/ apple core thrown into the bushes - you gotta ask yourself: Does it belong there,and hat would it look like if every mtn bike and trail runner or hiker threw their peels into the bush. I recently watched someone toss naartjie peels over their shoulder into the bushes on the mountain. I kept quiet, but felt that they should've known better. It takes ages to decompose and looks pretty crap!

:thumbup: +110%

An I don't give a damn if you ride an XL frame either!

At the argus this year im riding behind this twat who just chucked his energade bottle in the bush by misty cliffs. I lost my temper rode up to him and vloeked him like like a mad man on tik. Rest assured he will think twice before he chucks his kuk on the rd again

When I cycle I only take water and banana's, when I cycle on the R44 down to Somerset West, I throw my peels waaaay into the grass off the road. It will decompose quickly and nourish the earth again, but I hate people that litter on the roads especially those Gu Packs. Especially on cycling events, totally pathetic!!

If you shout at someone for littering, you've got to come across as a bigger muther than him, otherwise you are just going to get it back even harder.

I prefer the following approach. which I used recently in the Cradle. Dude was riding between Teak and the Lion Park at about 20kph. Ate gel, chucked in the veld. I pulled along side him and spoke very quietly too him, he could not hear so he leant closer and said "Pardon" I just said again very quietly that littering wasn't very nice. He got the message, and could not come back with any aggression to ruin my day. All he managed was a "Humphh"

Yes yes yes! So glad I am not the only one that gets totally the m*^r in when people chuck their crap onto the road. Usually when you take them to task they come up with some BRILLIANT comment like "That's why I pay an entry fee." Geez guy, you think your R280 covers the cost of a team of people driving a 100km route looking over the road and in the bushes on the side for all the crap that d&*^ses like you leave lying around?!! Even if that were true, why not throw the stuff away properly and save them the effort.

On a side bar, yesterday I was riding next to some ballie who proceeded to spit basically all over me as we turned down Homestead drive. Some people are just such idiots!

Don't get me started!!! I nearly offed myself chasing some prick down the pass on the Karoo to Coast last year. The @#@$$R@$ had picked up a coke at the table at the top, then went on to make a big show about riding hands free for about 500m while he drank the coke and then threw the cup over the edge into the pristine valley below. All types!

On the banana/ naartjie peel/ apple core thrown into the bushes - you gotta ask yourself: Does it belong there,and hat would it look like if every mtn bike and trail runner or hiker threw their peels into the bush. I recently watched someone toss naartjie peels over their shoulder into the bushes on the mountain. I kept quiet, but felt that they should've known better. It takes ages to decompose and looks pretty crap!

Ag asseblief.It gets eaten by goggos and what's left you won't even see after two days.

Ag asseblief.It gets eaten by goggos and what's left you won't even see after two days.

Don't agree - Naartjie/orange peels tend to dry out and lie there for several weeks/months before finally decomposing. The oils in the skin make them unpalatable to most goggos.

I feel it is better to report PPA or the race organiser and give them their race number. They must give warning to them! If it happened again, ban for 2years...

Ditto, Gel and energy bar wrappers I put back in my shirt pockets. Banana peels go in the bush else they go in my pockets to chuck in the bin at the next water table

Are you for real?

Orange peel does take along time to break down, banana is pretty quick though as are apple cores I think?

Littering is still as issue BUT it has got much better in the last 5-10 years. Thinking back to the early 94.7s the road was like a plastic bin liner for kms after each watering point and like a xmas tree in between.

Personally I think it'll get better each year as people learn to respect the environment more.

There will always be jerks who litter unfortunately - it's our repsonsibility to edumacate them.

Are you for real?

Yes!

I subscribe to the 'take only pictures and leave only footprints' philosophy. Its very easy to think that your peel/eggshell/dogpoo or whatever makes no difference because its organic or whatever. But if every person that walked up Lions Head for example tossed their naartjie peels on the path it would look ***! The stuff doesn't belong there, so take it home.

Are you for real?

Yes!

I subscribe to the 'take only pictures and leave only footprints' philosophy. Its very easy to think that your peel/eggshell/dogpoo or whatever makes no difference because its organic or whatever. But if every person that walked up Lions Head for example tossed their naartjie peels on the path it would look ***! The stuff doesn't belong there, so take it home.

I think your philosophy will remain just that. I'm inclined to say lets stop the common stuff that is obviously harmful, plastic wrappers, bottles, used nappies, mc donalds wrappers, and then we can get philosophical about what is litter and what isn't.