Cyclo-Cross in South Africa

FC&P2C

Sounds awesome :thumbup: ..... but not the temperatures :thumbdown:

It warmed up to 8 deg and stopped raining when we started,so it was not to bad....just loads of mud.I am keen to see how long a chain and cassette last on a bike.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ICG ?

llovo Cycling Group

http://www.cyclesafe.co.za/

I tried that but being overweight and unfit didn't help :blush:

It's fullout racing from the start,we did 45 minutes and then one lap.At least i didn't get lapped on the 3.5km course.They had a ladder to go over a fence and hay bails scattered all over the place that you had to climb over.There was one or two guys that bunny hopped them on the first lap.

It's really fun but it's hard.The track riders will enjoy it.

Think of it as a offroad criterium :thumbup: :D

Well done, sounds like its right up my alley!!

Looks lekker! A bit tricky with my down-tube shifters perhaps ...

Ja, those wont do. Even in the days of DT shifters the CX guys were using bar-end shifters.

Checkout www.behindthebarriers.com really cool series following Cross action behind the scenes

Series (1 and all of 2) is also on cycletorrents, great production. Jeremy Powers is a natural in front of the camera, and very entertaining.

Seems disc brakes not taken off there yet, lots of squealing rims.

I didn't see any bikes fitted with discs last weekend.I think you will see them at some of the UCI races with the big teams.Zipp has just brought out some nice 303 disc wheels for the top teams.

Series (1 and all of 2) is also on cycletorrents, great production. Jeremy Powers is a natural in front of the camera, and very entertaining.

Seems disc brakes not taken off there yet, lots of squealing rims.

J-Pow is my new hero ! Dammit that dude is awesome :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Bester Cycles in Waterkloof Glen has a set of cross tyres if anyone needs some, cant remember what they were, Vittoria I think, low profile with some side knobs.

Why is there no Cyclo-cross in South Africa?

Has anyone ever organised a cyclo-cross event in South Africa?

Does anyone even own a cross bike? I think you would need some cross bike riders, a course and maybe a club before you can have an event.

Never heard of any events in CT. Too much good mountain biking to start running through the mud with your road bike over your shoulder :P

Although I must admit the euro tradition of running the course through the beer tent is highly appealing. Maybe we could implement this at Sunday morning XC fixtures. Nothing like a nice cold regmaker whilst you are watching your buddies bust a lung past the bar.

Jules and I both have GT CXR cyclo-cross bikes. I use mine for commuting along the Spruit and Jules rides his in MTB races now and again. We've also both done the night races at Delta Park on them...