Cyclo-Cross in South Africa

FC&P2C

I have long been a fan of Cyclo Cross, and at age 64 I have to admit rather sadly it is something I will never be able to start doing! But I have seriously been playing with the idea of starting a series run around a short course that I have surveilled for a while now.

I think given the right marketing, Cyclo Cross could do really well here in SA. The short course races, combined with spectator friendly appeal, how could it not succeed?

Is there any way of being able to count just how many people are keen on doing this as a competitive or fun exercise? Personally my biggest fear is committing some of my scarce funds to an event and absolutely no one attends. This is simply the only thing that has prevented me from doing so thus far.

Having watched the events in the UK, Holland and Belgium, caught up in the excitement and suspense, I think it is such a pity that cycling disciplines like this and track cycling dont have a better support base in SA.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the enthusiasts like us, cycling in general suffers from a lack of public support. Look at the turnout at the Zoo Lake Criterium and ballz-up that was the Tour of SA, but that's road cycling which has a history of being aloof and elitist. To build 'Cross as a spectator sport is going to take a long time. But I can see the attraction, is family-friendly, generally takes place in parks and urban environment, the cyclists are up and close, unlike the road pelaton that wizzes past. Competitors are colourful and fun. Also the general vibe is friendly, gauging by 'Behind the Barriers' series.

The only way to get it going is to get together the core of enthusiasts and hold regular events in the urban space, build it from the ground up but that's going to take lots of dedication. Sponsors/publicity/public support will hopefully follow. And to get local government support, it must have an upliftment/outreach component, which should not be window dressing.

I think it is such a pity that cycling disciplines like this and track cycling dont have a better support base in SA.

My guess is that it is because cycling has become so expensive in SA so most of the riders have to choose between all the disciplines.In Europe and the States cycling is far more affordable so people can run more than one bike.

It would be great if a series got started in SA for winter training :clap:

I was amazed during a Cyclo cross race in Holland at just how much support these guys get! A huge mix of nationalities were gathered at one very technical corner which had a seriously steep descent. Lap after lap the leader would come flying by, and lap after lap the second placed rider would literally risk life and limb on this incredibly difficult descent. Each lap he came through, the crowd got louder and louder for him, and it seemed to spur him on! He never caught the leader, but watching him alone was absolutely incredible! He later came to thank the crowd for the support they had given him! It was a truly amazing spectacle to watch.

Road cycling is a bit dreary to watch, but I have watched a few of the Coca Cola Kermesse series in Belgium. That is racing, pure and simple racing. The crowds are incredible.

But if you want an incredible spectacle, nothing can beat cross in my eyes!

Strange I was just looking at CX this week and thinking "I'd like to try CX" So beside the brakes, rims and tyres - what makes a CX bike?

• 4 months later...

Mate! My tits are itching to try CX.

Maybe we should just find a sports field or school - lay out a course - race for an hour and see what happens!

If anyone has ideas let me know!

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in CX. Where can you get hold of a CX bike? XL size

Matthew at Cotic.

Get a Cotic X - I did, and it's the best ever!

post-16283-0-39990000-1339786326.jpg

Edited by Chro Mo

Matthew at Cotic.

Get a Cotic X - I did, and it's the best ever!

Show some pics or it aint true. :whistling:

post-16283-0-51001400-1342724008.jpg

This is the second version.

Ihave just completed version 3:I have just put on a 3 x 9 setup.

40c CX Pro

Avid BB7s

Rolls Saddle

Rides like a dream!