26" Wheelsets - Don't know what to buy?

Peewee1

Hello everyone

On Sunday I did a couple of laps at Rietvlei, and managed to somehow buckle my 5yr old rear wheel, the rim needs to be replaced.

Basically, it's already been respoked and had the rear hub replaced. I think its time to buy something new and fresh, because these wheels have had their day.

They were WTB Speed Discs with Shimano 525 hubs and DT swiss spokes I think, off a 2006 GT Avalanche.

Anyways, I have been looking at a few options:

1. Mavic Crosstrail UST

2. Fulcrum Red Metal 3

3. Easton EA70 XC

4. American Classic MTB 26 Wheelset

5. DT Swiss X1800

6. Mavic Crossride

7. DT Swiss XR30(off a Scott Spark 30)

I wanted to spend around 2k but it seems not much is available for that kind of cash. So I am willing to fork out around 3-4k for a decent set of wheels. Most sales people I spoke to said I should go with the Mavics.

I am pretty much an intermediate XC rider and I weigh around 75-80kg.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm enjoying my Mavic Crosstrails. Very stiff (almost too much!), 400g lighter than my last (rear wheel) and seem to be very strong. Only issue is replacing the spokes when you are travelling I guess.

I luv mavic wheels. Great styling and very tough. Have ridden them for the last 7 years and not one broken spoke or dented/buckled rim during this time. The only thing is their rear hubs require regular maintenance i.e. if you ride a lot, you will probably have to open up the hub once every quarter to clean it. But they're very easy to work on. I say go with the Crosstrails.

I wouldn't suggest the Mavics as the freehub bodies are notoriusly frail and expensive.

I would suggest American Classics. Some people have commented that the rims seem soft and dent easily. However, if you are a smooth rider or ride your tubeless tyres above 2 bar, you should be fine. I have been riding my American Classics for a year now, no problems. I'm 86kg and not a particularly smooth rider.

Fulcrums are also great. Very stiff, but be prepared to fork out money to replace bearings when they do go. the_nerd is on a set of Fulcrums for 2 years, no problems and he is heavier than me :blush:

Mavics - only wheelset I have not managed to break yet. If you clean and lubricate (20 mins) the rear hub regularly you do not have to worry about it - I do mine twice a year.

I've had 2 sets of Classics - great wheels, easy to service (I do it myself - don't buy the OEM bearings, you can get the same from your local bearing shop at half the price). They are a touch soft, but I guess not too many rims can survive Fountains and Groenkloof without a few dings! And as a plus, if you are *very* careful, you can bend out the dents again without any harm.

I've got a set of SRAM / Alex wheels that came off my Merida. New. R2000 will be fine by me. Black rims and hubs, white spokes, with a bit of red trim. PM me if interested.