Kulula and their new rules...

Andymann

http://www.gotravel24.com/southernafrica/city-breaks/kululas-hidden-baggage-costs

Watch out for this - My girlfriend and I recently flew to Cape Town for the BSG-Energade race, and were in for a nice bill when our bikes were counted as the "one piece of luggage allowed". Needless to say, all the money we saved by flying with Kulula went out the window.

While I'm not a great fan of SAA, at least they are bike friendly, *and* the food is also free....

So, no more Kulula for us.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You see Kulula's excuse being that the policy change was made known through a "soft launch." What they are really saying "WE WILL ROB YOU BLIND WHEN ITS TOO LATE AND YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT!!!" This is really poor taste and Kulula is going to do a lot of damage with regards to their public relations.

As far as I know there's now a little tick box to include your bike as part of your luggage. It will be an extra item, but they allow for it and it removes the guessing from your ticket buying...

Kulula are useless bottom line.

I use them because flying is a commodity and I get the best prices with them ONLY because of Discovery.

They are ALWAYS ALWAYS late and the planes are old and siff. I will always use SAA when travelling with a bike. Also SAA is never late and always on time.

Really not a kulula fan.

You can now pre-pay for the extra luggage when you book your ticket but still a rip-off.

Edited by Pusher

As far as I know there's now a little tick box to include your bike as part of your luggage. It will be an extra item, but they allow for it and it removes the guessing from your ticket buying...

You having twins?

Kulula are useless bottom line.

I use them because flying is a commodity and I get the best prices with them ONLY because of Discovery.

They are ALWAYS ALWAYS late and the planes are old and siff. I will always use SAA when travelling with a bike. Also SAA is never late and always on time.

Really not a kulula fan.

Free beer to the first grammar policeman to spot the tautology! ;)

You having twins?

Nope - just one (thankfully!) the pic is just of 2 different positions, and the lower snap has the due date written on it. I prefer the top pic, but wanted to include the due date and date taken etc.

Had a nice experience with Mango the past weekend.

Tick box for the bike @ R200 extra per flight.

No issues to and back from CT and flew in their new Boeing 737 (I think)

Not bad at all!

:clap:

I wonder if there is any merit in forwarding the link to this thread to their PR department????

Edited by Andymann

I just had a family member fly to Jhb for the day on Kulula and they brought my bike back at no extra charge.

They personally had hand luggage only (a small overnight bag and a laptop bag) so the bike counted as the one allowable piece of luggage free of charge. Apparently if he had a large bag, which would count as his one piece then the bike would have been charged at an additional R300 at the counter, or R200 if Kulula were notified up front on their website.

I personally thought this was really reasonable.... you see people with 10 bags for a weekend away. One bag is so much quicker to check in and process.

By the way, Postnet and the like wanted to charge me around R1k to get the bike to Durban as they based it on either the dimensions of the box or weight, whichever resulted in the higher charge.

Kulula sucks big time.. not only over charge cyclist, they have crap attitudes.

About 3 weekends ago, we paid R 1600.00 for 2 mountain bikes. When I logged this on hellopeter.com, some staff member phoned, indicating to me to buy baggage online, to save cost, however, when asked in the online magazine, the CEO's state they want to save the consumer money, they are reflecting rubbish.

Also as per the statement of the lady with whom I spoke, is that the policy excludes payment for golf bags, as the management decided it should reflect it in the policy.

When we flew back to DC and back, we had to pay another R 600 for our bike bags. Only to get again attitude from staff, even calling us darling.

At the end they are screwing over cyclist and hope less people will be using Kulula in the future, and perhaps start using Mango.

They at least charge you only R200 and seems with the cyclist we spoke too, seems they are more helpful then Kulula. .

At the end, Kulula won't change to assist the cyclist, as their management don't care.

Funny thing is, we have to cough up exorbitant amount of money to transport our bicycles, whilst you find some individuals boarding the aeroplane, have bigger bags they are taking on the plane and not getting charged for it.

I don't want to use Kulula anymore and wish in a way can encourage cyclist to see how they will get screwed over by Kulula.

Agree - we fly to most of the Energades, and there wasn't any Kulula charge when we flew to PE the month previously. We pre-book early to get the best prices, and when we booked on-line in August for CT, there was no mention of the new rules. Sports equipment always was allowed on, so long as it was within the required weight...

I wonder if Kulula aren't trying to save handling costs by forcing people just to have carry-on bags?

Free beer to the first grammar policeman to spot the tautology! ;)

Flymango!! I win clap.gif Windhoek Lager, thanks.