Kulula and their new rules...

Andymann

I had this argument with KLM last week when I was charged U$100 extra for a heavy bag and some obese tugboat quite easily twice my weight checks in next to me and pays nothing. It's bullsh!t!! They sweat more and fart more and generally make flying even more unpleasant than it already is. Fat people should have to go by boat and if it sinks then too bad.

Outch !!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kulula sucks big time.. not only over charge cyclist, they have crap attitudes.

About 3 weekends ago, we paid R 1600.00 for 2 mountain bikes. When I logged this on hellopeter.com, some staff member phoned, indicating to me to buy baggage online, to save cost, however, when asked in the online magazine, the CEO's state they want to save the consumer money, they are reflecting rubbish.

Also as per the statement of the lady with whom I spoke, is that the policy excludes payment for golf bags, as the management decided it should reflect it in the policy.

When we flew back to DC and back, we had to pay another R 600 for our bike bags. Only to get again attitude from staff, even calling us darling.

At the end they are screwing over cyclist and hope less people will be using Kulula in the future, and perhaps start using Mango.

They at least charge you only R200 and seems with the cyclist we spoke too, seems they are more helpful then Kulula. .

At the end, Kulula won't change to assist the cyclist, as their management don't care.

Funny thing is, we have to cough up exorbitant amount of money to transport our bicycles, whilst you find some individuals boarding the aeroplane, have bigger bags they are taking on the plane and not getting charged for it.

I don't want to use Kulula anymore and wish in a way can encourage cyclist to see how they will get screwed over by Kulula.

Very interesting. Thank you for that, I will keep it in mind.

I'm reading this wondering whether there are two Kululas in SA? As stated my very recent experience with them was vastly different to the ones being expressed here.

Looks like renting a bus/minibus + trailer for bicycles between a couple of athletes will soon be a better option than flying.

I will still fly Kulula because they are independent and trying to run a business against great odds. The major one being having to compete with SAA (Mango),that uses taxpayers money to keep competitors out of the game.

Edit : Gidon Novick a founder of Kulula has resigned.

Edited by Blokman

Oh by the way did you know that 1Time is now basically a Quasi State/ANS airline..........

Excalibur Aerospace owns/ in the process of acquiring a large portion (around 30%) of 1Time...correct me if I'm wrong!! Excalibur are also the owners of Velvet Sky, and I believe there are some politically connected individuals involved, with the Polokwane route a case in point.

I must say that the old 1Time MD80 aircraft have the best legroom but they must be losing out big time on the efficiency/cost side!!

Regarding Kulula and bicycles I have had good experiences so far. For this yeas Argus we were not charged anything extra for bikes, unlike Mango who did charge me last year.

Flying up for 94.7 my bike bag came to 19kg, with my cycling kit, shoes, helmet, and other items included. This was checked in as my one piece of luggage and all my other items were packed into a bag (went up for 4 days too) which I took on as hand luggage. ie. no extra charges.

Pack cleverly even if going for a few days and you will not pay extrasmile.gif

Guest Omega Man

Kulula are useless bottom line.

I use them because flying is a commodity and I get the best prices with them ONLY because of Discovery.

They are ALWAYS ALWAYS late and the planes are old and siff. I will always use SAA when travelling with a bike. Also SAA is never late and always on time.

Really not a kulula fan.

I'm sorry but that is a MASSIVE generalization. The lateness of the flights is more a function of a huge increase in domestic air travel in recent years and the inability of air traffic control to handle the increase. And the inability of ACSA to get the flights turned around fast enough.

I live in Cape Town and used to work in JHB for 3 1/2 years and flew in to JHB every Monday and out every Friday and in that time the Friday flight never once took off on schedule. NOT ONCE IN 3 1/2 YEARS. 90% of my flights were on SAA.

On to the bike thing. Personally I think R300 is pretty reasonable. You can't reasonably expect to take 20kg of luggage plus a bike and 7kg of carry on luggage and not expect to pay. Can you? This fails the reasonable man test in my opinion.

Edited by Omega Man

just asking... since when do they charge extra for bikes?

I've flown to CT and PE last year with my bike and I didn't pay a cent extra. Is it new policy?

Excalibur Aerospace owns/ in the process of acquiring a large portion (around 30%) of 1Time...correct me if I'm wrong!! Excalibur are also the owners of Velvet Sky, and I believe there are some politically connected individuals involved, with the Polokwane route a case in point.

I must say that the old 1Time MD80 aircraft have the best legroom but they must be losing out big time on the efficiency/cost side!!

Correct !

just asking... since when do they charge extra for bikes?

I've flown to CT and PE last year with my bike and I didn't pay a cent extra. Is it new policy?

It's always been policy. If you didn't pay extra, either your combined luggage weight was below 20kg or they weren't enforcing the policy. Their policy changes for the Argus where they haven't charged to carry bikes.

se ma net: i always had to fly with kulula..temperature controlled hull area for animals(charlie) en hy was altyd apart geweeg en moes apart betaalbiggrin.gif daai tyd R23 per kglaugh.gif

Guest Omega Man

You can only make informed decisions if you are informed or inform yourself. Throwing your toys out the pram after the fact or at the check in counter just ruins your day.

In June, 5 mates and myself flew to Geneva for a 2 week biking holiday in the alps.

3 of us flew Qatar and 3 flew Etihad. The checked luggage limit was 23kg. We were WELL AWARE of the baggage restrictions and packed around them.

My bike, boxed, weighed 24kg. (Downhill bike, Knee pads, riding shoes, neck brace, some tools and a small backpack) I escaped the extra luggage charges by smiling sweetly and checking my bike all the way through. (On most airlines you pay the overweight charges per sector)It's amazing what you can achieve by being nice. 2 of my mates weren't so lucky. the one paid R2700 and the other one paid R1500.

For the next trip we will be flying Emirates or Turkish Airlines. 30kg limit for both.

What I would like to see is Airlines weighing passengers with their luggage. Its not fair if I weigh 90kg and I travel with a 18kg bike box and 6 kg luggage to pay extra, when the fat McDonalds lover next to me weighs 130kg and has 11kg of luggage with him. That fat freak should pay for 2 seats.

I weigh 130kg. I don't eat McDonalds. I run 5km every morning and cycle every evening, when I am at home that is. Come MorewoodMad, tell me to my face that I'm a fat McDonalds lover. ;) I'm sitting at Plenary entrance 31-60 on the top floor of the ICC.

Guest Omega Man

I weigh 130kg. I don't eat McDonalds. I run 5km every morning and cycle every evening, when I am at home that is. Come MorewoodMad, tell me to my face that I'm a fat McDonalds lover. ;) I'm sitting at Plenary entrance 31-60 on the top floor of the ICC.

Judging by your username you also stink. Tee hee.