Securing a MTB on a bakkie ( pick up)

Active Monkey

Need some advice on best way to secure a MTB on the back of a bakkie/pick up with ouit damage to the frame etc?

When I go to trails its easy to pop my MTB on the back of my bakkie/pick up... I have those flat "ropes " you use to secure things on the back with the levers that you crack to tighten and work well..any advice?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old tubes can also be used to secure the Mtb in an upright position against the side of the loadbed. Just put some kind of padding between bike and bakkie for protection.

Pool Noodles

works if you got more than one bike aswell, put it between the bike and the bin and between each bike, works 100%

i used to use it on the old style bike caddies as well

It's easy. Put the front wheel up against the front of the load bed and get the bike as straight as possible with the rear wheel touching the tail gate. (My mtb normally sits at about a 30 degree angle on my bantam)

Using 2 ratchet straps, I loop each one just under the seatpost clamp and off to the corner tie-down hook. As I tighten the straps, they pull the bike snug against the tailgate.

Doesn't damage paint and keeps the bike upright in the back.

It's easy. Put the front wheel up against the front of the load bed and get the bike as straight as possible with the rear wheel touching the tail gate. (My mtb normally sits at about a 30 degree angle on my bantam)

Using 2 ratchet straps, I loop each one just under the seatpost clamp and off to the corner tie-down hook. As I tighten the straps, they pull the bike snug against the tailgate.

Kinda like this: (Quicky photoshop, hehe)

post-19617-0-49027000-1323330395.jpg

I do the same thing for my road bike..... except that I put a strap from the middle hooks and around the head tube - I have had my bike pull a superman on the N1 at 130Km/h. Was not a cool feeling. Thankfully the bike never fell out the back :unsure: