MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, have noticed the Marbles, almost lost the front today on some of this stuff.

Why low tread height?

Those are interesting choices, low rolling resistance though?

Low tread height os roller roling resistance but they also have more edges that allow for bite through the marbles.

Tall tread blocks will often have less edges and rely on the tread penetrating and anchoring th etyre in the marbles. Often the marbles aren't deep enough. So when opting for a taler tread block I look at the Scorpion M or S on the front. Schwalbe NobbyNick is also a great optionnin Speed grip on the front.

The moment the edges are worn round then the tyre isn't going to grip well anymore. There's a noticeable drop in mechanical grip. With deeper blocks you just have a little more useful life in the tyre

Why the change from the DHR2?

That's really interesting, the nippy or lack there of is probably the transition onto the side knobs, as the Assegai has the filler knobs.

To be honest, I'm not seeing much difference between the Forekaster and the Ardent.

Riding a hardtail, I want the grip in the front :whistling:.

Don't mind the rear sliding out, as long as the front stays planted.

DHR2 up front, and ship the ardent to the rear?

I was at Black Sheep Bikes looking at an Aggggrresssoorr for the rear and then keep the DHR2 I had on the front. This was just before winter.

Standing at the till I had a closer look at the Assssseggaaaii and figured that it just looked like fun and I was keen to give it a spin, so the DHR2 would then go on the back instead and the Assegai on the front.

Come summer now I am tempted to get the Aggressor for the rear to pick up the pace a little in the dry conditions.

DHR2 up front, and ship the ardent to the rear?

For trail riding yes .... unless you can afford to get an Aggressor for the rear too at the same time.

I have used Ardents all round on various bikes and rather prefer it on the front vs the rear. It has always felt to me like it has a tendency of "fish tailing" under hard straight line braking.

Given the trails you mentioned, and it sounds like you are looking for a more trail orientated tyre with a bit of grip that has a decent rolling speed I would say go DHR2 up front for a more aggressive trail tyre or a Forecaster maybe if you want more rolling speed. I can't vouch for the Forecaster though as I have not uses it yet, but it is a tyre I have been eyeing out.

To be honest, I'm not seeing much difference between the Forekaster and the Ardent.

I've ridden both the Ardent and the Forekaster fairly extensively (over 1500km on each) and I really couldn't find much of a difference between them to be honest. (Combos I rode: Forekaster F&R, Ardent F Forekaster R, Ardent F Ardent Race R)

For trail riding yes .... unless you can afford to get an Aggressor for the rear too at the same time.

I have used Ardents all round on various bikes and rather prefer it on the front vs the rear. It has always felt to me like it has a tendency of "fish tailing" under hard straight line braking.

Have you seen the Minion SS?

Looks like a really good rear tire.

Have you seen the Minion SS?

Looks like a really good rear tire.

Yip .... but I like the look of the extra bit of rubber on the Aggressor.

post-5403-0-13062300-1602582222_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

What's a good tough, aggressive XC rear tyre for South African conditions? My Titan Cypher (120mm) came with Vittoria Barzo's, but they're not the tougher Cape Cobra edition. I've had so many punctures in it, thrown tubes in it after the sealant couldn't fill the holes, then pinch flatted the tubes also. Needs to be able to handle rocks (Tokai killed it). Are the Cape Cobra a lot better? Maxxis Ikon? Needs to be reasonably fast rolling, but not racing snake slick & thin.

What's a good tough, aggressive XC rear tyre for South African conditions? My Titan Cypher (120mm) came with Vittoria Barzo's, but they're not the tougher Cape Cobra edition. I've had so many punctures in it, thrown tubes in it after the sealant couldn't fill the holes, then pinch flatted the tubes also. Needs to be able to handle rocks (Tokai killed it). Are the Cape Cobra a lot better? Maxxis Ikon? Needs to be reasonably fast rolling, but not racing snake slick & thin.

If you want to bomb Tokai reliably then something higher volume a bit tougher than a pure XC tyre, especially out back is a good idea.

That said I get away with EXO casing Aggressors on my enduro bike  most of the time but I'm pretty sure they are tougher than those Vittoria's. Manufacturers are known to spec weak tyres to make the bike feel lighter at the shop. 

My advice would be an Aggressor Exo casing 2.3 up front and at least an Exo casing - eg Ardent or Ardent race out back. Also check your tyre pressure especially out back. Tokai requires higher pressures than say the Greenbelt or Tygerberg.

Your tyres don't have the Cape cobra branding on them because they are OEM and not after market, distributed by Nsquared. Any Vittoria mtb tyre that is bought aftermarket that does not have Cape cobra branding is a grey import or stripped off a bike

Your tyres don't have the Cape cobra branding on them because they are OEM and not after market, distributed by Nsquared. Any Vittoria mtb tyre that is bought aftermarket that does not have Cape cobra branding is a grey import or stripped off a bike

I think your statement RE the Cape Cobra is strictly for the Vitoria Saguaro's 

I'm aware they're not the Cape Cobra versions, just wondered how much better the Cobra versions are? I've always ran Maxxis EXO casings in the past and they've been tough.

I think your statement RE the Cape Cobra is strictly for the Vitoria Saguaro's 

Barzo, Saguaro, Mezcal, all have cape cobra branding if purchased through the official distributor.

There is no difference between the cape Cobra versions and OEM versions. They weigh roughly the same therefore similar amount of material in the CC and non CC.

Agarro, Martello and Morsa are not Cape Cobra

Barzo, Saguaro, Mezcal, all have cape cobra branding if purchased through the official distributor.

There is no difference between the cape Cobra versions and OEM versions. They weigh roughly the same therefore similar amount of material in the CC and non CC.

Agarro, Martello and Morsa are not Cape Cobra

Thanks, I have only seen them branding the Saguaro's. I did go and check EVO's site before my previous post to double check, and the non Saguaro's were ex. the CC tag.

Then those non CC Barzo and Mezcal are either grey imports or stripped off a Titan. They did not come into SA via Nsquared

Edited by DieselnDust

Have you tried a high roller or high roller 2? If so what are your thoughts on the ardents compared to HR's?