MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I recently got a 2.35" Barzo / Mezcal CC combo for my Camber and am not too impressed.

Pinch flatted on the first ride and feel like I am riding on slippery ice (OK, mild exaggeration).

My previous combo was the Specialized Purgatory and Ground Control combo, but stock is in short supply

Would I be better off with the Onza Ibex 2.4 120 TPI pairing ?

I bought a pair of Specialized Ground control Grid's 2.25 and Control 2.35 at Specialized Stellenbosch 10 days ago. The Grid's were also half price on sale ;) "Tata ma chance" 

Tyres are super duper extra sticky. I rode in Tulbagh last weekend and felt like I was driving on train tracks...  

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just started riding MTB (been a roadie for a while) and started tackling some of the trails on Table Mountain. The tyres on the second hand bike need to be replaced and I'd like something with good grip.

I've been struggling on the slippery steep gravel sections (up and down) and need some advice on something I can feel confident on. I'm not interested too much in speed right now, just want to get comfortable before pushing the limit. What's a good combo for our mountain?

I weigh under 65kg and riding 29'er non-boost dual sus. Appreciate some advice..

I've just started riding MTB (been a roadie for a while) and started tackling some of the trails on Table Mountain. The tyres on the second hand bike need to be replaced and I'd like something with good grip.

I've been struggling on the slippery steep gravel sections (up and down) and need some advice on something I can feel confident on. I'm not interested too much in speed right now, just want to get comfortable before pushing the limit. What's a good combo for our mountain?

I weigh under 65kg and riding 29'er non-boost dual sus. Appreciate some advice..

Maxxis DHR|| front and back :) Or maybe even an Assegai on the front.

Tire pressure can play a big part in traction as well. Too much and you actually lose some grip.

Maxxis DHR|| front and back :) Or maybe even an Assegai on the front.

Tire pressure can play a big part in traction as well. Too much and you actually lose some grip.

Thanks, I've been running my current set at 22psi

With the shortage of stock on everything at the moment, finding tyres is a real struggle, I like MAXXIS tyres, but there is just no stock of anything I want, so with that in mind I need some help....

I am currently running a DHF 2.5 up front, but it is a bit much for me, I love it when I am feeling fresh and riding a descent, but taking it up a hill is schlep, and when you are tired going downhill and you aren't moving the bike around properly to actually use the tyre properly, then it is not so lekker anymore, so I was thinking of trying a Dissector or Rekon up front, but there is no stock anywhere, what alternatives are recommended? Been looking at the Pirelli 2.4 S for the front and M for the rear, but not many reviews out there on them, a little worried the 2.4 casing aren't going to be strong enough, and don't really want to go to the 2.6 Enduro versions because the weight goes up significantly....

Also looking at the Spez tyres, I think it's the Eliminator front and Ground Control rear, what other recommendations are there?

Edit : Spez doesn't seem to have stock of the Eliminator, so scratch that....

Edited by Chadvdw67

• 1 year later...

Ok...I am nervous even typing this message. This is a topic discussed and debated to death and I am scared by commenting I must just get a smack like Chris Rock got from Will Smith! 

I cannot seem to find any recent threadS so took a bold decision jus to highlight it again...BUT...with some limitations (if I may ).  I am doing Sani2C and looking for a good set. BUT..(yeah there will be a few BUTs) it does seem we are not that spoiled for choice anymore. It looks stock shortages leads to a.. "take what you can get" between Schwalbe and Maxxis mostly

My current MTB came factory fitted with Schwalbe Racing Ray EVO 2.25 SnakeSkin (Front) and Racing Ralph EVO2.25 SnakeSkin Rear. Have plugged my rear wheel a few times already in normal trail rides so have lost a bit of faith in them (and darn they are expensive). So let's briefly focus on Maxxis. What do you recommend (front/Rear/Width on 25mm rim). You cannot get Maxxis Rekon anywhere. So how about:

Ardent Race 2.35 Front, Ardent Race 2.25 Rear?

Ikon 2.35 Front, Rekon Race 2.25 Rear?

Ikon 2.35 Front, Ikon 2.25 Rear? 

I am on the heavy side (88kg+) and NOT  a race snake! - so let's consider that.

Let' me have your best attempt at abuse for bringing this up...!! 🤣

Edited by pedal menace

7 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Ok...I am nervous even typing this message. This is a topic discussed and debated to death and I am scared by commenting I must just get a smack like Chris Rock got from Will Smith! 

I cannot seem to find any recent threadS so took a bold decision jus to highlight it again...BUT...with some limitations (if I may ).  I am doing Sani2C and looking for a good set. BUT..(yeah there will be a few BUTs) it does seem we are not that spoiled for choice anymore. It looks stock shortages leads to a.. "take what you can get" between Schwalbe and Maxxis mostly

My current MTB came factory fitted with Schwalbe Racing Ray EVO 2.25 SnakeSkin (Front) and Racing Ralph EVO2.25 SnakeSkin Rear. Have plugged my rear wheel a few times already in normal trail rides so have lost a bit of faith in them (and darn they are expensive). So let's briefly focus on Maxxis. What do you recommend (front/Rear/Width on 25mm rim). You cannot get Maxxis Rekon anywhere. So how about:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/maxxis-rekon-race-tyre

take two of these, you won't be sorry

Hey mr Menace. 
Your ideal tyre is definitely the Maxxis Ikon front and rear. If you want the longest lasting tyre on any surface(including tar), best grip on any surface, fastest rolling resistance, lightweight and best value for money tyre then I can highly recommend them. Have tried the rest but keep coming back to the Ikon. 

2.35 is perfect front and rear.

51 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Bru as of yesterday Maxxis are so last year.

Schwalbe is the new king long life the king

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

Ardent Race 2.35 Front, Ikon 2.25 Rear? 

That's what I run.  I like the slightly chunkier Ardent up front for some extra grip.

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Bru as of yesterday Maxxis are so last year.

Schwalbe is the new king long life the king

A hiking friend said that either your boots last forever, or you last forever. Same with tyres on cars. The longer they last they less they will grip. 

I clicked on this topic and saw on page 1 how someone was buying tyres for 125 ronts. I was at my local solomons in Woodmead on Saturday and picked up a 2.5x29 Assagai tyre for 999. I thought I was robbed unit i read the thread and realised that page one was many years back.

Just be thankful you are not doing this professionally, as I know from the rally days that top teams would change tyres after each stage. This was because significant grip would be lost as soon as the shoulders of the tyres became even slightly rounded dramatically reducing grip. In that context, throwing a few notes occasionally seems quite reasonable, and is cheaper than medical bills from face planting.