MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I'm currently riding a Crossmark 2,25 rear and Ardent (not Ardent Race) 2,25 up front.

Anybody have actual experience with the Vittoria Mezcal Cape Cobra and know how that tyre in a 2,35 will compare to my Ardent in respect of:

Grip (Very important to me)

Rolling Resistance

Puncture Resistance (Very important to me)

Cheers

The Vittoria will amaze you with its balance of grip and rolling resistance for the first few weeks.

then mysteriously it wil suddenly start to feel less grippy as you start to slide around a bit more. eventually you will onder if you spilled oil on the tyres.

the triple compound rubber leaves the soft grippy rubber at the top and once its gone the grip is average at best.

they're heavy (780gr-790gr)

and I found that the puncture resistance is good but the sealant used doesn't always play well with the rubber to seal quickly ( i used both Enduro Seal and Stand Race with the Enduro Seal  plugging  slightly slower but more effectively. the Stand Race would plug then reopen

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vittoria will amaze you with its balance of grip and rolling resistance for the first few weeks.

then mysteriously it wil suddenly start to feel less grippy as you start to slide around a bit more. eventually you will onder if you spilled oil on the tyres.

the triple compound rubber leaves the soft grippy rubber at the top and once its gone the grip is average at best.

they're heavy (780gr-790gr)

and I found that the puncture resistance is good but the sealant used doesn't always play well with the rubber to seal quickly ( i used both Enduro Seal and Stand Race with the Enduro Seal  plugging  slightly slower but more effectively. the Stand Race would plug then reopen

Thanks.

And SNAP, I also use Enduro Seal.

I've heard that their compound allows great grip initially but fades quite soon.

I have had too many near misses with my Ardent in that it grips, lets go and grips again resulting in a sever pucker factor.

Wonder f the Ardent Race is any better?

Thanks.

And SNAP, I also use Enduro Seal.

I've heard that their compound allows great grip initially but fades quite soon.

I have had too many near misses with my Ardent in that it grips, lets go and grips again resulting in a sever pucker factor.

Wonder f the Ardent Race is any better?

It is faster rolling but has smaller side knobs.

You're better off getting something like a Trail Boss, which has a very high centre line which makes it fast rolling in a straight line, but also has decent sized and spaced side knobs which will offer you maybe a little bit more bite than the ardents.

It starts blurring the line between 'race' tires and trail tires now though. 

It is faster rolling but has smaller side knobs.

You're better off getting something like a Trail Boss, which has a very high centre line which makes it fast rolling in a straight line, but also has decent sized and spaced side knobs which will offer you maybe a little bit more bite than the ardents.

It starts blurring the line between 'race' tires and trail tires now though. 

Not sure I like the Trail Boss tread pattern.....looks like good for grip but the blocks have a lot of space between kind of like the Bontrager tyre and I worry about thorns getting through?

Not sure I like the Trail Boss tread pattern.....looks like good for grip but the blocks have a lot of space between kind of like the Bontrager tyre and I worry about thorns getting through?

To be honest with you I don't give nearly as much thought to tires as you guys.

I have run Ardents on my race bike and loved them. I run Ikons now and really love them. I have run Trail Boss tires since 2013 on various bikes and found them to be the happiest medium ticking the most boxes the best.

BUT, we don't really have thorns in Tokai/Jonkers/Table Mountain so I honestly don't know. Thorns aren't really something I have ever thought about as my experience is that my sealant seals the little holes with a very minimal loss of air, if any.

I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist TBH. 

Hi guys. Hoping someone can provide some insight, I'm sure many of you can chip in and have the knowledge.

I'm looking for a more trail oriented MTB tyre. One which grips lekker for trails through Tokai, Jonkers, etc, but which wont kill me on the longer rides and slow me down with too much resistance. I tend to ride more trail but I also do a few 60km races just for the fun of it.

The following should be considered:

• Budget R400-600. Willing to go higher if there's nothing viable in that price range.
  • 29 inch tyre
  • Tyre width: I don't really know what tyre width I need but presumably between 2.3-2.6 inches. I'm currently riding 2.2 inch width so looking forward to some more ground coverage.
  • The MAXXIS Minions have come up with some research I've done, but my knowledge remains limited as I've never owned any real high end tyres.

Thanks!

Edit: "Budget R400-600. Willing to go higher if there's nothing viable in that price range."

Edited by Serg

Your biggest limitation there will be budget. Hardly anything good in those ranges, unfortunately. 

Personally, Eliminator Grid for the front, all day long. It's grippy, reasonably fast-rolling and long lasting. BUT it'll be around R 800 or so, which is outside your budget. Won't be at all "too miuch tyre" for a 60k ride. 

Got myself a Minion DHF 2.5WT the other day for R650. Not sure how it is going to roll, but shouldn't be that big an issue.

I was running a Butcher 2.3 on the front and did a couple 50-65km rides with it and never thought "sheesh, I need a lighter faster tyre," having said that, I did/do not know any better, so.....

Edited by Chadvdw67

Your biggest limitation there will be budget. Hardly anything good in those ranges, unfortunately. 

Personally, Eliminator Grid for the front, all day long. It's grippy, reasonably fast-rolling and long lasting. BUT it'll be around R 800 or so, which is outside your budget. Won't be at all "too miuch tyre" for a 60k ride. 

Thanks, I see that looks like the price point for a lot of the higher end tyres. I don't mind upping my budget if that's the case.

I'd rather buy right and buy once.

I'll look at the Eliminator, thanks!

Got myself a Minion DHF 2.5WT the other day for R650. Not sure how it is going to roll, but shouldn't be that big an issue.

I was running a Butcher 2.3 on the front and did a couple 50-65km rides with it and never thought "sheesh, I need a lighter faster tyre," having said that, I did/do not know any better, so.....

Thanks, I've tried a very wide Butcher but that was on a mate's Levo, confident feeling tyre for sure!

I see the DHF 2.5WT comes in at just under R900 with a quick online search, where did you get yours?

Hi guys. Hoping someone can provide some insight, I'm sure many of you can chip in and have the knowledge.

I'm looking for a more trail oriented MTB tyre. One which grips lekker for trails through Tokai, Jonkers, etc, but which wont kill me on the longer rides and slow me down with too much resistance. I tend to ride more trail but I also do a few 60km races just for the fun of it.

The following should be considered:

• Budget R400-600. Willing to go higher if there's nothing viable in that price range.
  • 29 inch tyre
  • Tyre width: I don't really know what tyre width I need but presumably between 2.3-2.6 inches. I'm currently riding 2.2 inch width so looking forward to some more ground coverage.
  • The MAXXIS Minions have come up with some research I've done, but my knowledge remains limited as I've never owned any real high end tyres.

Thanks!

Edit: "Budget R400-600. Willing to go higher if there's nothing viable in that price range."

Chaoyang Rock Wolf, running one on the rear of my Jeffsy and have been very impressed so far at the price point. Grips up very nicely in the current summer conditions in Tokai.

BikeMob can get them in for you otherwise Stoke Suspension had a couple last week for R450. Bought an extra to keep in the cupboard

Thanks, I've tried a very wide Butcher but that was on a mate's Levo, confident feeling tyre for sure!

I see the DHF 2.5WT comes in at just under R900 with a quick online search, where did you get yours?

Got mine at Cajees cycles in Boksburg, but that is a little far for you

Maxxis Aggresor 2.5 may work as well? Maybe others can chime in on that? R650 on Bike Addict

Thanks, I see that looks like the price point for a lot of the higher end tyres. I don't mind upping my budget if that's the case.

I'd rather buy right and buy once.

I'll look at the Eliminator, thanks!

Another vote for the Eliminator, all the grip of a Minnion without the rolling resistance and weight penalty. Recently bought one for the hardtail, I think it may well become my tyre of choice....