MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I ran the Forekaster up front with a crossmark rear late last year in some muddy conditions. It was a great tyre and cleared out well when packed. Grip was also good. It had more rolling resistance when compared to the normal Ardent, more so if compared to an Ardent Race! And it is an audible difference when running on road too!

I wouldn't say it is a good XCO tyre but in loose sand and mud and possibly on rocks it should more than suffice. Is nice and light too. Oh and mine is a 29er.... ^_^  

Has anyone here used the FOREKASTER? I'm looking at the 2.35 (27.5) one thats comes in at 690?

Been having a blast changing tyres around and testing all of them. Did a 30km (700m elevation) XC ride this morning and ran the DHF 2.3 and the Ikon 2.35 rear. Ikon aired down to 22psi (weight with kit is 81kg) and it's perfect even after the small amount of rain we had. Thing is I want to run the 2.35 Ardent Race up front for XC which i'm loving in dry conditions but today it would have been a bit hectic up front in the wet. 

The DHF comes in at 870 and although i'm not counting each gram i'm not sure i'd want to take it on a ride say twice as long as today. Does need more power to run at the same speed as my last Ibex but wanting to try Maxxis for a change. 

Forekaster looks like it would be awesome up front in 2.35 just want to know how it is compared to the Ardent Race on one side and the DHF on the other. DHF being my fav so far. Also hard to find somewhere that sells that Forekaster even overseas.... 

Edited by Mr lee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And.....?

It felt really solid! It wasn't very predictable in soft sand but probably because i'm not used to it. I think it is because of the aggressive side knobs that really dig in. I didn't get to lean it over a lot but the grip on the side is there for when it's needed. The back was far stickier than my RR and I could hear the tyre on the tar without it feeling like syrup. Too soon to tell but i'm chuffed! There is a reason it's such a common combo and I think it will be perfect for Gauteng! 

Has anyone here used the FOREKASTER? I'm looking at the 2.35 (27.5) one thats comes in at 690?

Forekaster looks like it would be awesome up front in 2.35 just want to know how it is compared to the Ardent Race on one side and the DHF on the other. DHF being my fav so far. Also hard to find somewhere that sells that Forekaster even overseas.... 

I'm using 29" 2.35 Forekasters front and rear. Only done about 200km on them. Was running Ikons (think they were 2.35 as well) front and rear on my old bike. Impressions so far:

• Forekasters have just tons more grip on everything other than hardpack where they seem relatively similar
  • In mud and thick sand the Ikons are terrible, no grip and the tread just doesn't clear the mud. Forekasters are much better in these conditions.
  • In general the Forekasters have more rolling resistance

In summary, I would take the Ikons for gravel grinding and the Forekasters for everything else. Can't really compare them to anything else because I only took up cycling in August so I've only ridden these two tyres.

Edited by Jehosefat

I'm using 29" 2.35 Forekasters front and rear. Only done about 200km on them. Was running Ikons (think they were 2.35 as well) front and rear on my old bike. Impressions so far:

• Forekasters have just tons more grip on everything other than hardpack where they seem relatively similar
  • In mud and thick sand the Ikons are terrible, no grip and the tread just doesn't clear the mud. Forekasters are much better in these conditions.
  • In general the Forekasters have more rolling resistance

In summary, I would take the Ikons for gravel grinding and the Forekasters for everything else. Can't really compare them to anything else because I only took up cycling in August so I've only ridden these two tyres.

Awesome thanks for the reply. Going to have a look at either the Forekaster for the front or Ardent 2.4 perhaps. 

I ran the Forekaster up front with a crossmark rear late last year in some muddy conditions. It was a great tyre and cleared out well when packed. Grip was also good. It had more rolling resistance when compared to the normal Ardent, more so if compared to an Ardent Race! And it is an audible difference when running on road too!

I wouldn't say it is a good XCO tyre but in loose sand and mud and possibly on rocks it should more than suffice. Is nice and light too. Oh and mine is a 29er.... ^_^  

Cheers for the reply. Going to take a look at the forekaster or maybe the Ardent 2.4. Will be using the ardent race 2.35 and ikon 2.35 for xc races and stuff just need a front for the winter to go with the ikon on the rear for casual long distance rides. 

Cheers for the reply. Going to take a look at the forekaster or maybe the Ardent 2.4. Will be using the ardent race 2.35 and ikon 2.35 for xc races and stuff just need a front for the winter to go with the ikon on the rear for casual long distance rides. 

For long rides I would say Ardent due to the lower rolling resistance!

Hi Guys,

Maybe I have missed the thread, or maybe it wasnt asked,

Whats the take on the Vredestein Black Panther Xtrac tyres?

Is it any good? 

Hi Guys,

Maybe I have missed the thread, or maybe it wasnt asked,

Whats the take on the Vredestein Black Panther Xtrac tyres?

Is it any good? 

I have had a set before, normal rear and Xtrac front. They were decent but nothing to write home about. If you can get a set at a good deal or they are already on your bike I would be content!

I have had a set before, normal rear and Xtrac front. They were decent but nothing to write home about. If you can get a set at a good deal or they are already on your bike I would be content!

Hi Dieter

thanx for the reply, i see cycle lab has them for R400 each, so want to get a set, i dont know why, but my conti X-King protection tyres dont seem to like my riding style. 

loose knobs like crazy, rear tyre now has only 250km's on 98% gravel road training and a couple of knobs gone. is that normal for the conti's? they claim it is for XC and Marathon/All Mountain, but as soon as there is a rocky section, they seem to shed knobs.

regards

Hi Dieter

thanx for the reply, i see cycle lab has them for R400 each, so want to get a set, i dont know why, but my conti X-King protection tyres dont seem to like my riding style. 

loose knobs like crazy, rear tyre now has only 250km's on 98% gravel road training and a couple of knobs gone. is that normal for the conti's? they claim it is for XC and Marathon/All Mountain, but as soon as there is a rocky section, they seem to shed knobs.

regards

Yeah I wouldn't go Conti's again. Tyres are the most noticeable upgrade you can do and I wouldn't make my choice to save R200. I'm not saying go out and spend 1200... Do your research for your area and your needs, find the ultimate tyres, and get them on a special if you are lucky! 

For long rides I would say Ardent due to the lower rolling resistance!

Awesome going to order one and give it a try, thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 for the front, would the Ardent Race 29x2.35 be suitable as a rear? Its a bit wider and normal run a narrower/same tyre in the rear.

I have a maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 for the front, would the Ardent Race 29x2.35 be suitable as a rear? Its a bit wider and normal run a narrower/same tyre in the rear.

I run the Ardent 2.35 on the front and have upgraded to the Ikon 2.35 on the back - like this combo !!

If you look around you will find that some shops are starting to stock the Ardent Race 29x2.2 which would be the perfect rear tyre if you are looking for a bit more grip withot sacrificing too much in the rolling resistance department!

If I can find one cheap then I would like to try one in place of the 2.25 Ardent I currently have on my rear. Would have been so nice if CWC stocked the race 2.2 with their current specials....

I'm still pretty stoked to just throw 2x of the Ardent's on special at CWC on my bike. I hate wide-narrow combos. Then the bike looks like a bloody penny-farthing :D