MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Sorry for lack of info...clearly don't know my sh@*

I ride rocky Mountain element DS. I ride More for distance and speed but want to feel secure in turns (so some grip). Don't do heavy technical dh type riding - .I pick lines but may bomb through some rocky descents....but not in a wreckless way.

Oh I do commute to work perhaps twice per week and choose between mtb and road depending on how I feel.

About 168 height and 73kg.

No worries, just don't wanna reccommend a double down casing with an aggressive tread and soft compound to someone that rides for distsnce and spends time on tar!

My reccommendation in the Maxxis range would be the Ardent 2.4 in Exo casing, or Aggressor 2.3 also in Exo casing - the latter being softer compound and offering more grip, the former being slightly faster roling and harder wearing but offering less grip in corners.

Another favourite of mine is the Onza Ibex in 2.25 width. It looks very aggresive, and does offer good grip, but rolls faster than you may think it would.

Alternatively, if you want slightly more aggressive grip then a Maxxis High Roller or DHR2 is excellent. I'd stick to the Exo casing from the sounds of your type of riding, not everyone is a fan of it, but in my experience it holds up well - especially on the front (on the rear I see the point in a DD casing).

I paired up a Ardent Race on the rear for a long time with an Ardent for more distance type stuff, which I switched out for a DHR2 for more aggressive stuff. The DHR2 is heavy and rolls slower (and wear fast on tar), but your grip levels increase ten fold over something like an Ardent. Just depends where your priorities lie...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my eye on the Assegai but went with the Magic Mary 29 x 2.6. Went with the MM as it was a lot lighter. Do you feel the weight of the Asse'?

Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

But you're right - I do need to ride more. I continually tell myself that, and I'm testing an Asseguy at the moment so I need more than the 2 rides that I've had to form a solid opinion on it. But so far - so grippy. Don't like the DD casing as much as the SG casing on Schwalbe (can see the different applications of the butyl insert - Schwalbe continues to the side knobs, DD ends ~10mm below them) but the grip characteristics are quite good and may actually be better than the Mary it's replaced. But I need more than just a session on TM, and 4 repeats of Vasbyt in Tokai to form a more accurate assessment of it.

Edited by keithbe

No worries, just don't wanna reccommend a double down casing with an aggressive tread and soft compound to someone that rides for distsnce and spends time on tar!

My reccommendation in the Maxxis range would be the Ardent 2.4 in Exo casing, or Aggressor 2.3 also in Exo casing - the latter being softer compound and offering more grip, the former being slightly faster roling and harder wearing but offering less grip in corners.

Another favourite of mine is the Onza Ibex in 2.25 width. It looks very aggresive, and does offer good grip, but rolls faster than you may think it would.

Alternatively, if you want slightly more aggressive grip then a Maxxis High Roller or DHR2 is excellent. I'd stick to the Exo casing from the sounds of your type of riding, not everyone is a fan of it, but in my experience it holds up well - especially on the front (on the rear I see the point in a DD casing).

I paired up a Ardent Race on the rear for a long time with an Ardent for more distance type stuff, which I switched out for a DHR2 for more aggressive stuff. The DHR2 is heavy and rolls slower (and wear fast on tar), but your grip levels increase ten fold over something like an Ardent. Just depends where your priorities lie...

Wow, thanks for detailed reply grease monkey. You okes are kwaai lol...best getting advice from objective okes who actually use the stuff.

I'm gonna go with ardent 2.4 in exo casing as you suggest for now and perharps get dhr2 for more aggressive stuff down the line. Not doing any really aggressive routes at the moment.

Good day

Im new to mtb and will be riding bottelary hills in Kuilsriver western cape 90% of the time.

What Maxxis tyre combo would u guys suggest as well as width front and rear. Riding a hardtail and weigh 79kg, 176cm tall.

Good day

Im new to mtb and will be riding bottelary hills in Kuilsriver western cape 90% of the time.

What Maxxis tyre combo would u guys suggest as well as width front and rear. Riding a hardtail and weigh 79kg, 176cm tall.

Aggressor in DoubleDown casing for the rear. 2.5” if you’ve got the clearance. Minion DHF for the front. Same casing and width.

Aggressor in DoubleDown casing for the rear. 2.5” if you’ve got the clearance. Minion DHF for the front. Same casing and width.

Good luck finding an Aggressor 2.5 WT DD in RSA.

In Bottelary hills? That's pretty much roads between the winelands with occassional single track thrown in, next to no rocks.

I rode there with 2.1 Ikons in Exo casing front and rear for a long time with no lack of grip or punctures and I weigh 100kg. Not that I am reccommending that.

My vote would be Ikon (2.3) or Ardent Race (2.35) on the rear, paired with an Ardent (2.4), Forekaster (2.35), or Aggessor (2.5) on the front. Exo all around - nothing at bottelary is going to kill an Exo casing.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Good luck finding an Aggressor 2.5 WT DD in RSA.

Was looking for one for the rear of my big bike last week - none to be found anywhere. Settled for the Exo version - not ideal, but with a Foamo will be fine.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Was looking for one for the rear of my big bike last week - none to be found anywhere. Settled for the Exo version - not ideal, but with a Foamo will be fine.

EXO is hond poo (for me at least). Even with a FOAMO I continually destroy them. Ordered a Hans Dampf Super Gravity. That Schwalbe sidewall casing is insanely strong :)

EXO is hond poo (for me at least). Even with a FOAMO I continually destroy them. Ordered a Hans Dampf Super Gravity. That Schwalbe sidewall casing is insanely strong :)

Personally I (or any of the much faster guys I ride with) have not had any issues with it where we ride - Jonkers, Helderberg. We also all rode Exo at Klipberg and Ezel without issues - granted I didn't bomb down stage 4 Ezel at speed, but the other guys managed 4 and 5 on 2.3 Exo Aggressors without issues.

That said, if I rode TM trails, or something like Klipberg/Ezel regularly I would put at least DD on the rear.

I dinged up so badly that I'm going to replace it. The EXO Aggressor on it is still working. Didn't even plug it....

maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I just ride like a fairy...

But it helps that our rocks aren't really sharp, so the cuts that are prevalent with shale type surfaces are a rumor.

Edited by PhilipV

So I have been running 2.35 Ikons on my dual suspension for quite a while and was happy with it until I read this thread...

Now I still have a couple of 2.2 Ikons that I will use on the rear and want to try something new on the front. I like the Minios SS’s knobs on the side and like the Ardent Race. I would prefer a 2.35 on the front. I am riding mostly long distance gravel like the TB and will also be doing a J2C this year.

What would you recommend for a fast rolling option that has some grip?

So I have been running 2.35 Ikons on my dual suspension for quite a while and was happy with it until I read this thread...

Now I still have a couple of 2.2 Ikons that I will use on the rear and want to try something new on the front. I like the Minios SS’s knobs on the side and like the Ardent Race. I would prefer a 2.35 on the front. I am riding mostly long distance gravel like the TB and will also be doing a J2C this year.

I had a Ardent race on the back for a while and found it a fun, fast rolling summer tyre for alot of the tygerberg trails but then I got into the Semi slicks with a Spez Slaughter and now a E13 and find them to be great for most things (apart from the moon dust of Helderberg where it drifted more than the Fast n the Furious!) 

Edited by T-Bob

Keep the Ikon. I don't find it lacking in grip at all. When I tried the Ardent and Ardent race I still preferred the Ikon 2.35 on the front as it is the best compromise for grip and acceptable rolling resistance (and the rolling resistance is high - Maxxis IKON, Ardent and the more trail oriented tyres don't roll well without gravity assist.

But if you find yourself slip sliding all over the place (i'd maybe check the suspension set up and tyre pressures first) then opt for something ore aggressive.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Looking at getting some slightly less beefy and faster rolling tyres for my Trance 29. The stock DHF / DHR II are really a bit overkill. I was considering the 2.4WT Rekons, but they don't seem to be available locally. Any other suggestions? Tyres will be going onto the 30mm inner width Giant TRX wheels