MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Hi All

Looking at getting some slightly less beefy and faster rolling tyres for my Trance 29. The stock DHF / DHR II are really a bit overkill. I was considering the 2.4WT Rekons, but they don't seem to be available locally. Any other suggestions? Tyres will be going onto the 30mm inner width Giant TRX wheels

Just change out the DHR on the rear for an Aggressor. I've used a couple of combos, and by far the tyre I have used that rolls the most like a trekker tyre is the DHR.

If it's still too much, remove the DHF from the front and replace with the DHR you took off the back.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need help please. I am riding a Dual Suspension bike with 100mm travel rear and 120mm front. Set up for trail riding mostly. I am running rims with 31mm internal width. Most of my riding is fast trails with a lot of washed out corners , dusty etc. I am looking at 2.3 / 2.35 front and 2.25 rear. Any suggestions on what would be the best setup as this is my all rounder ?

I need help please. I am riding a Dual Suspension bike with 100mm travel rear and 120mm front. Set up for trail riding mostly. I am running rims with 31mm internal width. Most of my riding is fast trails with a lot of washed out corners , dusty etc. I am looking at 2.3 / 2.35 front and 2.25 rear. Any suggestions on what would be the best setup as this is my all rounder ?

Since Maxxis are a bit narrower than they claim I am gonna suggest slightly wider tyres:

- Front: Maxxis Aggressor 2.5

- Back: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35

That combo should roll lekker fast on a Jack of all trades bike, but still give enough grip up front.

Just be careful of the older tyres, which were typically optimised to run on much narrower rims. Thus, those tyres tend to get squared off on wide rims. 

A good option is to look into the WT range from Maxxis. Perhaps a 2.6 Rekon up front and an Ardent Race at the back. 

Since Maxxis are a bit narrower than they claim I am gonna suggest slightly wider tyres:

That combo should roll lekker fast on a Jack of all trades bike, but still give enough grip up front.

Currently running Ardent Race 2.35 front and back. Problem is rear tyre is almost touching frame(Kona Hei Hei) so need to look at 2.25 Rear.

Currently running Ardent Race 2.35 front and back. Problem is rear tyre is almost touching frame(Kona Hei Hei) so need to look at 2.25 Rear.

Onza Canis or Svelt 2.25 are great rear tyrer....

Just change out the DHR on the rear for an Aggressor. I've used a couple of combos, and by far the tyre I have used that rolls the most like a trekker tyre is the DHR.

If it's still too much, remove the DHF from the front and replace with the DHR you took off the back.

I have DHF front and Ikon back. Weird combo (I don't enduro) but I got the DHF at a song to replace an Ardent up front. Swap the rear out and see from there. My bike still rolls plenty fast for marathon races and I have immense trust in my front for everything else. 

Great suggestion! My wife has Aggressor front and Ikon back 

Anyone else running Good Year peaks as a xc/marathon tyre?

Recently fitted a pair due to my maxxis Icon's left me with a lack of confidence on a few corners on various trails

Managed a KOM on the famous roller-coaster section on the Wild boar trails and must say they are awesome.

rolls fast and stick to whatever you throw of them.

post-58842-0-99356900-1558356657_thumb.png

Anyone else running Good Year peaks as a xc/marathon tyre?

Recently fitted a pair due to my maxxis Icon's left me with a lack of confidence on a few corners on various trails

Managed a KOM on the famous roller-coaster section on the Wild boar trails and must say they are awesome.

rolls fast and stick to whatever you throw of them.

Never heard of that section, and I know no matter what tyres I put on that I will ever be on that list anyway! Goodyear tyres look really awesome and I want to try the Escape one day. 

Help please!!!

XC vs Enduro tires 2.35mm

I am a XC/Marathon rider with a Scott spark pro. I weigh 65kg and the Bike weight in at about 10.5kg. About a year ago I bought a pair of American classic wide lightenings. OMG so wide rims make a world of a difference, so much so that I think its up there with shocks, disc brakes, clipless pedals and dropper posts and other things that changed the way we cycle today. So the wheel set is slightly heavier than all the 1.4kg skinny carbon wheelsets out there weighing in at 1.6kg but i think its totally worth the weight gain. I immediately smoked all my strava segments downhill and managed to maintain on the climbs.

The issue is as follows. Is there anyone out there that makes a light 2.35mm tire??The best I have found is the bontrager XR3 team at 675g for what looks like a true 2.35mm. I have tried the maxxis Ikon 2.35mm (heavy but rad) at 740g and maxxis ardent race 2.35mm at 750g. They are bullet proof tires but more suited to you big boys on enduro bikes. I am a beanpole so could ride a light tire.

I need a 600g 2.35mm tire... if its out there. I have thought of putting a maxxis ikon 2.25mm on the back and riding the bontrager on the front but you will lose a bit of that good feeling on the back end and the weight will still be a bit heavy.

Watching the XC race yesterday in Albstadt i cannot understand why the pros are riding these skinny wheels still. Surely they would be faster with a wider wheelset and a lighter tire.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Help please!!!

I am a XC/Marathon rider with a Scott spark pro. I weigh 65kg and the Bike weight in at about 10.5kg. About a year ago I bought a pair of American classic wide lightenings. OMG so wide rims make a world of a difference, so much so that I think its up there with shocks, disc brakes, clipless pedals and dropper posts and other things that changed the way we cycle today. So the wheel set is slightly heavier than all the 1.4kg skinny carbon wheelsets out there weighing in at 1.6kg but i think its totally worth the weight gain. I immediately smoked all my strava segments downhill and managed to maintain on the climbs.

The issue is as follows. Is there anyone out there that makes a light 2.35mm tire??The best I have found is the bontrager XR3 team at 675g for what looks like a true 2.35mm. I have tried the maxxis Ikon 2.35mm (heavy but rad) at 740g and maxxis ardent race 2.35mm at 750g. They are bullet proof tires but more suited to you big boys on enduro bikes. I am a beanpole so could ride a light tire.

I need a 600g 2.35mm tire... if its out there. I have thought of putting a maxxis ikon 2.25mm on the back and riding the bontrager on the front but you will lose a bit of that good feeling on the back end and the weight will still be a bit heavy.

Watching the XC race yesterday in Albstadt i cannot understand why the pros are riding these skinny wheels still. Surely they would be faster with a wider wheelset and a lighter tire.

740g tyre for enduro racing...? Is jy mal? Nobody in their right mind would run such a lightweight tyre, especially not in the rear. You'd rip a hole in it every race.

Help please!!!

Try the vittoria barzo.

Maxxis rekon race and Schwalbe racing Ralph will be your lightest options before the pirelli scorpion lite arrives in a month or two