Is my carbon frame on its way out?

ebenvn

Hi guys,

So while washing my bike today I noticed (for the first time) a small dent in the frame - just below the cage. (it almost looks like a sigarette burn would on plastic... - if that makes sense :huh: :huh: )There doesnt seem to be any cracking around it. :blink:

Its the first time I notice it, but I dont think its new...

Is it safe to ride like this or what would you suggest???

post-20111-0-19467000-1325265685.jpg

post-20111-0-68204400-1325265718.jpg

I dont think it's an issue. There's a lot of surrounding material to take the normal frame stresses for that upper section of the downtube. Also, the frames are built to withstand stresses that have fairly large safety margins added to them resulting in a lot more material than is required to withstand assumed worst case stresses.

You dont have to be OCD about checkign the spot either. Just do your normal frame checks when u wash the bike, and that's pretty much business as usual. njoi the ride! :)

Edited by Capricorn

giants use to do that as a result of the bottlecage bosses sitting to low on the seat tube so your bottle wil rest on the downtube. safe to use i would say! im still racing my frame :thumbup:

I would lay off the Cytomax or whatever you are putting in your bottles. If it's eating your frame can you imagine what it's doing to your stomache...

I would lay off the Cytomax or whatever you are putting in your bottles. If it's eating your frame can you imagine what it's doing to your stomache...

fit 2 empty bottles in your cages and see if they touch your frame. i think you will find the rar bottle is the culprit

Carbon dont dent like that, looks like a chip

No chip, that is a mark from somthing rubbing/grinding away on that surface. most probbably a bottle

Looks like the result of an impact with something - that's underneath the tube?

Stones can shoot out from the front tyre at quite a rate, once one caught my toe through my mtb shoe: eina!

Hi guys,

So while washing my bike today I noticed (for the first time) a small dent in the frame - just below the cage. (it almost looks like a sigarette burn would on plastic... - if that makes sense :huh: :huh: )There doesnt seem to be any cracking around it. :blink:

Its the first time I notice it, but I dont think its new...

Is it safe to ride like this or what would you suggest???

In a nutshell, yes. The question is when.

Looks like the result of an impact with something - that's underneath the tube?

Stones can shoot out from the front tyre at quite a rate, once one caught my toe through my mtb shoe: eina!

look at tha chainblade in pic 1. the spot is just below bottle cage bossed on downtube :)

I'm with no calves on this one. In fact, there was a thread a couple of years ago about this very issue and what bottle cages were prone to causing this.

check the material you are using for your bottlecage, you do a jump or wateva and the metal bottlecage hits the frame and thats what might happen ( thats if the chip is where i think it is)