ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

Not true, pay your R20 pp entrance fee at Kondomo office, and off you go.

Dankie Bennie,kom ons hoop dit reen bederf nie alles die naweke wat voorle nie.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the last 90km of the route this past Sunday and road conditions were 100%, but it looks like there is going to be some serious rain this coming week-end. Lets hope the newly fixed bridges and roads hold...

Keep us updated please!

In Afrikaans is daar n afkorting: - H.K.G.K.

Lets hope our "Trans" does not change to "Langs" again.....

Here is our week-end weather warnings copied from a FB page:

"Disaster Management Services called all concerned services to an Emergency meeting regarding weather predictions for the Weekend.

1. Light rain is forecast as from today Wednesday over the entire Cacadu region which will further saturate the already saturated ground.2. Minimum temperatures are to plummet to below freezing point inland as from Thursday evening and Heavy Snow Falls are expected with Road closures in all mountain passes in the region except for Olifantskop pass. Graaff Reinet to monitor the passes as from this evening Wednesday.3. Heavy Rain (100%) is expected as from Thursday evening in Storms River area to reach Port Elizabeth by Friday Noon and spread further east as it progresses. An average of 100mm is expected from Friday Noon to Saturday evening throughout the region of Cacadu. Due to the already saturated groundwater flash flooding is expected in low laying areas. Roads are expected to be water logged and special care be given to fast lanes were vehicles could aquaplane.4. All stations are to monitor all rural roads and report any problems to information centre and myself.5. I will keep all Station Commanders and Managers informed via SMS as I will be receiving weather warnings from SA National Weather Services on any in incoming storm systems as they develop for Cacadu Region via SMS from SA Nat. Weather Services.6. These Systems will also affect all outdoor activities in the region such as the Biltong Festival in Somerset East and the VW Algoa Rally being held in the Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and surrounding areas.Reason for this early warning from the SA National Weather Services the similarity between the 2 HIGH pressure systems south of the country and a developing LOW pressure system over the far Northern-Western interior which is very similar to the systems of the 1968 floods in Port Elizabeth and Surrounding areas."

Ook gesien... sien nogal uit na die reen. Net om te sien hoe hard dit reen, ons damme is baie vol reeds.

Ook gesien... sien nogal uit na die reen. Net om te sien hoe hard dit reen, ons damme is baie vol reeds.

In die laaste 24h (8AM) was daar gelukkig nog nie vreeslik baie reen in die Baviaans nie:

· Joubertina 17.2mm

· Patensie 12.4mm

· Willowmore 1.6mm

Hou maar duim vas dit reen nie soos in George(65mm), Plett(52mm) & Mossel Bay (55mm)

Edited by Bennie Dikwiel

In die laaste 24h (8AM) was daar gelukkig nog nie vreeslik baie reen in die Baviaans nie:

· Joubertina 17.2mm

· Patensie 12.4mm

· Willowmore 1.6mm

Hou maar duim vas dit reen nie soos in George(65mm), Plett(52mm) & Mossel Bay (55mm)

Ja, en in Knysna spoel ons weg(69mm). Die marathon is afgestel. As dit laas naweek was sou die MTB ook afgestel gewees het.

Edited by sampie

Ja, en in Knysna spoel ons weg(69mm). Die marathon is afgestel. As dit laas naweek was sou die MTB ook afgestel gewees het.

Are you saying the Knysna marathon was cancelled?? :eek:

Are you saying the Knysna marathon was cancelled?? :eek:

Yes, was in the forest this morning, trees all over the roads, rivers coming over the road and still raining.

Yes, was in the forest this morning, trees all over the roads, rivers coming over the road and still raining.

Wow. Must be many disappointed runners out there. Months of training, the expense of getting there, and then Mother Nature has the final say. Glad I convinced my wife not to go to Knysna Festival this year.

Anyone have a clue on how the flooding in PE area etc has affected the Trans route?

Anyone have a clue on how the flooding in PE area etc has affected the Trans route?

Willowmore got 50mm+ of rain, that's all I know. Water should run down by Trans.

Kouga Dam is overflowing. It was at 84% level before the rain started. Plenty of rain must have fallen to fill it up.

Kouga Dam is overflowing. It was at 84% level before the rain started. Plenty of rain must have fallen to fill it up.

PLENTY for sure - Joubertina at one stage had over 100mm fall in just 1 hour! - Things are not looking good for the original TB route, I hope I am wrong, but looking at all the water comming down the Grootrivier and specialy the Gamtoos river, I don't think many of the newly built low water crossings in the kloof are still standing.

Here are some pics of the actual TB route I took yesterday:

Bruintjieskraal bridge crossing (Grootrivier)

post-14134-0-92167600-1342413785.jpg

Kondomo (Grootrivier)

post-14134-0-59229300-1342413876.jpg

Heroncliff campsite (Gamtoos)

post-14134-0-88372100-1342413968.jpg

Gamtoos low water bridge crossing

post-14134-0-45202400-1342414107.jpg

Gamtoos crossing - this is at the base of Neverender !

post-14134-0-36565900-1342414194.jpg