Krugersdorp Nature Reserve Trails

RocknRolla

I took the family out to the reserve on Saturday, not knowing what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised.

GPS Co-Ords: S26 06 24.5 E27 43 27.2

Cost of Entry: R30 per rider

Amenaties: Restaurant with lotsa seating and reasonably priced food that is well prepared. (I did not eat, but my wife sez the chicken & Cheese burger was very nice) Think the burger cost R35.

They are busy sorting out a very large pool, the aim is to have this finished by the end of jan.

Routes:

There are a huge number of different loops to ride

The routes are not marked, other than a sign indicating the beginning of a loop.

There is a sample sign at the office (for reference purposes)

The MTB trails are basically the same as the 4x4 routes.

I did some very nice singletrack, that is quite flowing, although the track is still very new, and needs some wheels to make the riding a bit smoother.

Due to my brain being in neutral throughout the weekend, I managed to leave my garmin at home, but the aim is to go back and log the routes in future, in order to save others the hassle of getting to the good stuff, by not knowing where to go.

Hopefully this will get more bikes through there which in turn will hopefully mean more trail development and maybe some route markings (on the singletrack sections)

There's lots of climbing to be had there if one follows the tracks to the lion enclosure and then ride back to the restaurant.

I will update this thread as I go to ride, with some better feedback and hopefully some garmin routes..

post-24416-0-75114000-1326095018.jpg

post-24416-0-04359300-1326095030.jpg

Edited by RocknRolla

Sounds good - and Krugersdorp is just down the road :-)

I tried looking for their official website by can only find tourism search engines that advertise it and accomodation nearby.

Am I right in thinking they don't open until 8am?

How far can you ride once you're there? We like to do at least 30km rides to make it worth while.

cheers

I was at the 'test' ride last year but didn't know that it is open to the public already :thumbup: Saw a lot of springbok, sable, wildebeest etc. Good initiative to generate income for the reserve.

Hopefully riders will respect the fact that it's still a working reserve and wild animals will have to get used to cycling traffic as they got very agitated with us there.

Sounds good - and Krugersdorp is just down the road :-)

I tried looking for their official website by can only find tourism search engines that advertise it and accomodation nearby.

Am I right in thinking they don't open until 8am?

How far can you ride once you're there? We like to do at least 30km rides to make it worth while.

cheers

hmm, cant remember what time they open

30km will be very easy to achieve there.

I was at the 'test' ride last year but didn't know that it is open to the public already :thumbup: Saw a lot of springbok, sable, wildebeest etc. Good initiative to generate income for the reserve.

Hopefully riders will respect the fact that it's still a working reserve and wild animals will have to get used to cycling traffic as they got very agitated with us there.

true.

I also inadvertedly caused a bit of a stampede when a large group of game saw me approach (picture attached to OP) i kept my distance as is had no cameraman with me, thus no point in getting trampled by a buck.... :rolleyes:

Good to see you enjoyed it RocknRolla. I didnt know the restaurant was open again. Good to hear it is. Spoke to the guy thats organising most of the trails in the reserve and they got the go ahead for the printing of the route markers last week. So it will hopefully be in place very soon.

@Bonus - You can easily do 30- 40 km there. But you dont need to do that many to get a good workout. Some of riding is pretty tough.

I saw a sign on my way to Kdump that says there is a race on the 12th Feb at the reserve, anyone know anything about it?

This is brilliant news:

JHB options:

Spruit

Northern Farms

Van Galens

Rietvlei

Groenkloof

+Krugersdorp Nature Reserve

Anything I am missing?

King Kloof, and

Thaba Trails

I rode at the reserve this morning and its awsome! Not technical (Or I missed it) but I saw big herds of blesbok, eland, swart wilde bees and springbok. That climb at the start is a killer but from there it was rad. :thumbup: :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Went there on Saturday. must say was a real awesome 25km. had some hectic climbs but overall a good ride. Also the view was something else. Think the race they have there on the 11th of Feb is gonna be real good. :D

It seems that there will be a race on 11 Feb at the krugersdorp reserve:

I got the info from the cyclelab website.

Category: Mountain Biking Events Event Date: 11 February 2012 Entries Close: 8 February 2012 at 23:00 Venue: Krugersdorp Game Reserve Province: Central Gauteng Distance: 40km (R150), 20km (R100), Starting Time: 08:00 Timed By: Spectrum Sport Timing

Personally I think the 40km race fee is a little steep, its only R170 for me to do the 70km Magalies Monster or R100 for the 40km route.