Freeriders versus Lycra Clan

Wyatt Earp

don't know that I fall into any camps outlined above (sometimes wear my roadie lycra and sometimes I wear my "kiff" new baggies I got for Xmas), but I know I must be the toughest 'cos I am so *** on a mountain bike that I am GTF (Guranteed To Fall) - yet I still go out there....

Edited by dracs

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Boris, all bikers are tough if they ride tough. I was quietly hoping someone would bring up Johnny Hoogerland as an example of tough. No-one did so I just did.....

I see a common trend on the forum.

People get all worked up because they actually read only what they want to, so end up skimming over much else and then take immediate offense.

But I think most will understand the crux of the thread, it's not to start an argument but rather to try and determine why we always have to feel the need to segregate ourselves from one another.

We all mountainbike, we are all tough .

You know if we spent less time arguing amongst ourselves about image, we would be a serious contender in advocacy. But we are divided, so we are easy to conquer.

You know if we spent less time arguing amongst ourselves about image, we would be a serious contender in advocacy. But we are divided, so we are easy to conquer.

Thats a possible theory, Rob_o is a roadie trying to divide mtbker....

100 posts on this already! Oh well, no one will ever win this argument on an internet forum . Enduro racing is the answer. Combine all the necessary elements of mountain biking into one event. The winner will be the best all round rider. And the toughest?

Hey Boris, all bikers are tough if they ride tough. I was quietly hoping someone would bring up Johnny Hoogerland as an example of tough. No-one did so I just did.....

Hoogerland, the man who taught Chuck Norris all he knows.

I still get totally swooned when I think of his achievements in that tour.

Before the hug I'd like Rob to expand / justify his epic comment.....

Well, I'd like World peace and a stamp with my face on it. Only the second part has come true thus far.

Thats a possible theory, Rob_o is a roadie trying to divide mtbker....

Yes, I'm a roadie.

I am going to put an interesting spin on this conversation. I may get flamed but what the hell.

Picking up on what Dangle said, "feel the need to segregate ourselves from one another" and the experience I have in fighting for DH trails in a national park, the obvious factor everyone is missing is representation. Look at the numbers of riders and break it down into categories, XC - DH. The divide is between the two most contrasting disciplines in this sport..

What percentage XC riders do you think make up the sport? 70/80%?

What percentage DH riders do you think make up the sport? 10/20%?

Truth is without the XC riders, I could not quote the figures of over 1000 riders per weekend and each person with the potential of improving their skill to, at some stage, start riding the DH track. Fact is the owners of the land do not see how we divide ourselves and accept these figures as a "room for expansion" in the discipline, it is only us who is killing it for ourselves.

XC guys, like it or not, the DH riders are inspirational and their race technology trickles down and eventually finds itself on your bike.

So my suggestion is that we accept ourselves for what we are and if you see someone who is different from you, don't judge them as they are part of the single sport gaining momentum in this country.

The real toughies were the folks who did DH, XC and DS all on the same weekend with the same bike years back. Just don't make 'em like they used to...

amen to that!! Those were the good old days where all forms of MTB were competed in by everyone. there was no segregation. You just rocked up a provincial or national and raced the XC on sat morning DS sat afternoon and DH on Sunday. All with your hardtail with 1.5 inches of amazing air/oil travel from your Marzocchi XCR's ... If you were really the DH wizzkid though you had the Marzocchi DH 3's ... and everyone thought you were the bees knees! ... hahaha

That was an awesome time to be racing!

Guest Omega Man

Hoogerland, the man who taught Chuck Norris all he knows.

I just looked in the dictionary. Next to the word tough there's a picture of Johnny Hoogerland.

I just looked in the dictionary. Next to the word tough there's a picture of Johnny Hoogerland.

See if you can find a pic of rob_mtb. Try looking next to the word troll?

XC guys, like it or not, the DH riders are inspirational and their race technology trickles down and eventually finds itself on your bike.

No flaming and I agree with most of what you said, I even mentioned earlier that I wish I was capable of doing what these guys do.

But your above statement I don't agree with.

This thread is like the ANC leadership.

In the fight between Road vs MTB, all MTB disciplines stand together against roadies.

...but within themselves they fight about which is the hardest.