Who to blame: LBS or myself?

Fatsmoker

Why not load both bikes again on the bike rack, just as they were when you travelled. Then you would easily ascertain if the chaifing could have come from the bike rack or the other bike, or not.

my 2c..i would have put the bikes back on the rack like you had them, move the handle bars what ever other parts move when the bike is on a rack, on a moving car..and see if anything comes close to that part that is damaged

I had something similar, but the "doh" moment came when I unloaded the bikes. Seat rail of my road bike chafed handle bar of mountain bike... could be that. As suggested above I'd check how you had them loaded and see if this could be it.

Lesson learnt - as secure as you think your bikes are on the rack, on long trips keep some air between everyting or add approprite buffers where you can't...

my 2c..i would have put the bikes back on the rack like you had them, move the handle bars what ever other parts move when the bike is on a rack, on a moving car..and see if anything comes close to that part that is damaged

Did just that and found the chafe marks on the other bike. My own stupidity ... hopefully the damage is not too expensive to repair. Thanks for all the help, now I just need to apologise to the LBS. :oops:

Did just that and found the chafe marks on the other bike. My own stupidity ... hopefully the damage is not too expensive to repair. Thanks for all the help, now I just need to apologise to the LBS. :oops:

Right.

Should have finished reading....

Apology is the spirit. You da man!

Hows about naming the LBS? An honest one is hard enough to find...

Good on you!

Hows about naming the LBS? An honest one is hard enough to find...

Good on you!

I am with you on this one, name the LBS, Kudos to them.

Westdene Cycles. I have bought two bicycles from them (and various other things) and the service has always been great.

Its incredible what damage can be caused.A brake housing vibrated a groove in my front fork.

Hi Fatsmoker

Karma is a wondeful thing - your honesty will cause all kind of good things to come your way. When you tell your lbs, they will remember and they'll treat you and your bike like royalty forever!

Fix the damage by replacing the bolts if it bothers you and touch up the surrounding areas with black paint. Hobby-model shops sell the paint and art shops the very fine brush. If you are lazy, a black permanent marker pen will make the eyesore disappear.

@fatsmoker...leave the damage as is...it just add "houding" to your MTB ...

You can even make up a crazy story of how you flew over that drop-off...only to wipe out on the landing... :eek: