Tennis...

'Dale

Let's hope SERENA also looks in the mirror and ask HERself why is She often inniekak

Prejudice against her, or her fiery temper that gets her into trouble?

I remember the "I will shove this ball down your throught" incident from couple of years back. Female officials involved that time...

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't often inniekak.. the players don't like getting violations when they break the rules.

Too easy to blame someone else than take responsibility for ones actions.

He is one of the few umpires that actually gives Nadal time violations.[emoji2960]

My correction then, Gen.

Comment withdrawn.

I was looking at that Twitter feed fro earlier in the post.

Well now... (Bold emphasis mine).

“The United States Tennis Association (USTA) is to undertake a review of communication policies following a string of umpiring controversies at the US Open. 

Swedish umpire Mohamed Lahyani was reprimanded by US Open organisers for going "beyond protocol" when he climbed down from his chair to give Nick Kyrgios a mid-match pep talk during his second-round match against Pierre-Hugues Herbert.

Umpire Christian Rask then came in for criticism after he handed a code violation to French player Alize Cornet after she removed her shirt on court after realising it was on backwards.

The tournament subsequently released a statement saying it regretted that she was given a violation.

On Saturday, Serena Williams was handed three penalties during the second set of her championship match against Naomi Osaka, sparking a firestorm of debate.

"Some of these incidents, you know, have prompted us to reflect on the clarity of our own communication to the chair umps," USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier said. "These incidents will prompt us to analyse ways of perhaps instituting some change. We certainly do not want inconsistencies."

I think it could potentially help everybody if there was some more consistency to this. (Me: No s..., Sherlock.)

The Women's Tennis Association (WTA) have expressed their disappointment over the handling of the match between Williams and Osaka.

"[The WTA] is committed to working with the sport to ensure that all players are treated the same. We do not believe that this was done last night," WTA chief executive Steve Simon said. Simon also called for coaching, one of the offences for which Williams received a violation, to be permitted, a topic the USTA plans to review.

Widmaier said that the extremely hot temperatures and high humidity, which led officials to introduce a heat rule for both men and women, may have contributed to the confusion. "The Alize Cornet thing kind of was triggered by the heat but it also brought to the forefront nothing that had ever happened before," he said. "It prompted us to say, 'hey, maybe we're not being clear here.'"

Mark Kovacs, executive director of the International Tennis Performance Association, said that the officiating controversies at this year's tournament "brought attention to areas of the sport that need to be addressed" going forward.

"Consistency in the application of the rules is clearly needed," Kovacs said. "Currently the umpires have a lot of discretion and many times the same offence does not have the same punishment."

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/11494342/usta-to-review-policies-following-umpiring-controversies160at-us-open

Prejudice against her, or her fiery temper that gets her into trouble?

I remember the "I will shove this ball down your throught" incident from couple of years back. Female officials involved that time...

That was very bad...

On match point against her vs Kim in the semi final..it was her second violation of the match and she was given a point penalty.. which resulted in game, set and match Kim.

Things is we know Fognini often finds himself in trouble for outbursts same with Kyrgios and they are lambasted for it.. yet people shift blame for serena when we know she is prone to outburst towards umps and players..

In short she is a bully.

This is a great article, not so much about what is said, but rather about who is saying it. My fav part is Djokovic saying I really don't think there's any need to debate it!  :P  :D  :lol:

From the USTA president:

Following the match, the United States Tennis Association, which runs the US Open, released a statement from its president, Katrina Adams, hailing Williams for her “class” and “sportsmanship”. Appearing on ESPN, Adams also claimed there are double standards in terms of how umpires treat women and men. Adams said: “We watch the guys do this all the time, they’re badgering the umpire on the changeovers. Nothing happens. There’s no equality. I think there has to be some consistency across the board. These are conversations that will be imposed in the next weeks. 

"I know what Serena did and her behaviour was not welcome. A line could have been drawn, but when you look at Carlos in this situation, it’s a judgment call to give that last penalty because she called him a thief. They’ve been called a lot more.

“[He could have said]: ‘Hey, we’re getting out of hand here, let’s tone it down.’ I think he would have [said that to a male player], I think it’s a bond that they have and they way they communicate, and maybe not understanding they can have that same conversation with the women.”

From Djokovic:

Speaking after his win, Djokovic expressed sympathy for Williams but disagreed that women are treated differently from men. “I love Serena, first of all. I really felt for her yesterday,” he said. “It was a tough thing for a chair umpire to deal with, as well. Everyone was in a very awkward situation.

“I have my personal opinion that maybe the chair umpire should not have pushed Serena to the limit, especially in a grand slam final. He did change the course of the match. We all go through our emotions, especially when you’re fighting for a grand slam trophy. But I don’t see things as Mr Simon does. I really don’t. I think men and women are treated in this way or the other way depending on the situation. It’s hard to generalise things. I don’t see it’s necessary really to debate that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-wta-us-open-sexism-carlos-ramos?CMP=twt_gu

This is a great article, not so much about what is said, but rather about who is saying it. My fav part is Djokovic saying I really don't think there's any need to debate it! [emoji14] :D [emoji38]

From the USTA president:

Following the match, the United States Tennis Association, which runs the US Open, released a statement from its president, Katrina Adams, hailing Williams for her “class” and “sportsmanship”. Appearing on ESPN, Adams also claimed there are double standards in terms of how umpires treat women and men. Adams said: “We watch the guys do this all the time, they’re badgering the umpire on the changeovers. Nothing happens. There’s no equality. I think there has to be some consistency across the board. These are conversations that will be imposed in the next weeks.

"I know what Serena did and her behaviour was not welcome. A line could have been drawn, but when you look at Carlos in this situation, it’s a judgment call to give that last penalty because she called him a thief. They’ve been called a lot more.

“[He could have said]: ‘Hey, we’re getting out of hand here, let’s tone it down.’ I think he would have [said that to a male player], I think it’s a bond that they have and they way they communicate, and maybe not understanding they can have that same conversation with the women.”

From Djokovic:

Speaking after his win, Djokovic expressed sympathy for Williams but disagreed that women are treated differently from men. “I love Serena, first of all. I really felt for her yesterday,” he said. “It was a tough thing for a chair umpire to deal with, as well. Everyone was in a very awkward situation.

“I have my personal opinion that maybe the chair umpire should not have pushed Serena to the limit, especially in a grand slam final. He did change the course of the match. We all go through our emotions, especially when you’re fighting for a grand slam trophy. But I don’t see things as Mr Simon does. I really don’t. I think men and women are treated in this way or the other way depending on the situation. It’s hard to generalise things. I don’t see it’s necessary really to debate that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/10/serena-williams-wta-us-open-sexism-carlos-ramos?CMP=twt_gu

Do you know how innikak Djokovic was a few years back regarding equal prize money.

Do you know how innikak Djokovic was a few years back regarding equal prize money.

Have you watched the Billy Jean movie with Emma Stone and Steve Carrell? Battle of the Sexes (2017).

Ja exactly.

equal prize money is a joke.

Serena has now won 36 grandslams or somethink?

I reckon none of those will fit in the top10 grandslam finals of the past 15 years.

Ja exactly.

equal prize money is a joke.

Serena has now won 36 grandslams or somethink?

I reckon none of those will fit in the top10 grandslam finals of the past 15 years.

In that regard tennis has come a long way...more than any sport. I think Wimbledon was the last of the GS to offer equal prize money..and that was about 10 years ago.

Was is a struggle yep it was.. did it take too long ..sure did.

More and more APT 1000/500 are also offing equal prize money.

Something I would like to see is the women also playing best out of 5 sets at the GS

Edited by Gen

Have you watched the Billy Jean movie with Emma Stone and Steve Carrell? Battle of the Sexes (2017).

Nope I don't like the actors so I gave it a skip, but that battle is a well documented one.[emoji6]

Anyhow ..

Completely off topic.. anyone know if SS plan on broadcasting the rhythmic gymnastics world champs this week.. a girl in my son's gr ..(well they have been in school together from gr 1..so suppose you can call her a friend..kind of) is competing and would like to catch a glimpse of it?

I don't see anything on the scheduling

Edited by Gen

Anyhow ..

Completely off topic.. anyone know if SS plan on broadcasting the rhythmic gymnastics world champs this week.. a girl in my son's gr ..(well they have been in school together from gr 1..so suppose you can call her a friend..kind of) is competing and would like to catch a glimpse of it?

Rhythmic gymnastics, outside of the olympics?!

I think there's two chances of that being on TV.

Anyhow ..

It was on today .... S Play whatever that channel is

It was on today .... S Play whatever that channel is

Oh lol.. I saw other gymnastic scheduled..a world cup event (replay).. but never looked thanks will keep am eye out.

Oh lol.. I saw other gymnastic scheduled..a world cup event (replay).. but never looked thanks will keep am eye out.

It seems to be on tomorrow evening as well

If you go to the website there are detailed schedules by sport for each day