Gentleman's Sausage

BLACKvoodoo

When I ride further than about 40Km's on my Mtb, my wedding vegetable area goes numb. I then have to stand on my peddles for a while to get the blood flowing again.

Does anybody else experience this and is it a bike setup problem??

Seat position and angle perhaps?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seat position and angle perhaps?

Yep and yep. Maybe the saddle also does not suit you (not all bums / saddles are compatible)

Elaborate on your vegetable. Is it in the form of a cucumber or a cauliflower? Depending on your answer, you might need a specific gender saddle, and a decent chamois.

I had a similar problem although i am not sure i would refer to him as a vegetable. Changed my seat and no more problems!

You should get yourself measured in a reputable bikeshop for the correct size of saddle.

Then check whether you have the correct size saddle on your bike.

Commonly the 3 sizes are 135mm, 143mm and 159mm (If I remember correctly.)

Different style of saddles might also make a difference.

You could also take the bike in and have the setup checked.

Changing your brand of shorts might also make a difference.

Indola, Assos, Anatomic and all the other manufacturers use different types of padding, as well as the cut, thickness and position.

Trial and error could be expensive, but your wedding tackle might just be worth a bit more.

Checking the position of the vegetable could also help. If you a trying to stuff a cucumber into a baby marrow packaging, you might need to upsize the clothing you wear....

Edited by pezulu

If you only go numb after 40km (easily 2 or 3 hours) of sitting on the mtb, you are doing OK in my opinion. You should make a point of standing regularly for short periods. It will not only save your bum, but also give your muscles a break and make you last longer. (I agree with all above re. bike and saddle fit.)

Try a Specialized saddle, it has the cut out for this exact problem, also the saddle may be the wrong width as well. Maybe go get your backside measured up.

I had the same problem. You have to get a saddle which has a groove / cut-out running down the middle of it. This alleviates the pressure on you tjommie, thus solving the problem

I had the same problem. You have to get a saddle which has a groove / cut-out running down the middle of it. This alleviates the pressure on you tjommie, thus solving the problem

Tjommie :D

No, it doesn't. Sure, it is the lazy man's way of solving poor setup, but that's it.

You are supposed to balance on a saddle on your two "sit bones", you know, the bone you feel in each arse cheek? That's what a proper setup does for you. Well, that and get your shoulders correct so you don't roll forward on the saddle and re-create the squished man bit.