LBS Service Levels

Ant J Allen

A while back i went to a shop in Knysna to get my chain changed, i asked them to make sure if the cassette also needs to be changed. When i collected the bike they said no all is working fine. Next morning i went for a ride with the small gear in cassette slipping like mad from the new chain. Went back to them telling them about the problem, the reply was no thats normal after replacing the chain, you need to buy a new cassette. I asked if i could only replace the small gear, answer was no. So i went to another shop, Knysna Cycle Works, after 5 minutes i was sorted out by only replacing the the small gear which by the other other shop could not be replaced. So thank you to Jacques from Knysna Cycle Works for sorting it out and also my Mavic freehub yesterday.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finishline in Kempton Park, good prices, good service.

Usually include a stop there for coffee on my Sat ride.

Morningside cycles - around March last year I took my bike (mid-low range Trek mtb) to have the chain + front and rear cogs replaced. They gave it a full service (didn't replace anything). In October after an intimate encounter with a bus, I had to take the bike in to get the rear wheel replaced - they did replace, and again added an unnecessary service in.

Replacement wheel hub broke after 2 months, they (well, supplier) replaced the entire wheel (no charge).

Not sure if I'll be back there although it is the closest shop to me, otherwise it's Dunkeld.

Edited by 2wheelsgood

The Cycle Hub. Wendell is a member here.

dont know if it was Wendell that helped us.

The guy that helped us was helpful and friendly, pity it was not followed through

I recently has a problem with a rear shock 3-days before an event. Most of the LBS's insisted that the shock be sent away for service and would take beween 7 - 10 days to return. I then found Good 2 Go, based in Pinetown. They serviced the shock, the bike and did an exceptional job, all in the same day.

The quality of their work is good, owner operated by Mark and Jason - very friendly and extremely knowledgeable.

I would highly recommend them to all and sundry

Contact Info:

GOOD 2 GO:

Tel: 0317018152, or

Mobile: 0824589704

always had good service and advise from the guys at Tour de Frans boksburg.

cant remember the name of the cycle shop at Rietvlei, but my dad wanted to buy my 4 year nephew a bike from there. went there, sized the bike up, got the little guy all excited after a test ride, then the owner offered to order the boys version (same frame, just different colour scheme).

This was at the begining of December, they still have not phoned back. My old man landed up buying it from sportmans warehouse

Hello Ouzo, firstly I must apologise for not coming back to you. I have no excuse if I did that and I agree it is not acceptable. I will take the matter up and will see to it that it doesn't happen with anyone else in the future. Thank you for the mention.

My own private workshop in Annlin, Pretoria. Best friendly service, good coffee and Em is the best receptionist, tea girl you can find.

My own private workshop in Annlin, Pretoria. Best friendly service, good coffee and Em is the best receptionist, tea girl lady you can find.

Fixed

You might have that wrong. What if the oom's employed Lindiwe Mazibuko as his tea, er, person?

My bike service centre is small enough I dont need to go affirmative.

I asked if i could only replace the small gear, answer was no. So i went to another shop, Knysna Cycle Works, after 5 minutes i was sorted out by only replacing the the small gear which by the other other shop could not be replaced.

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for this small gear?

Chances are pretty good it was a small gear from an old cassette lying in the workshop.

Edit: Oh and it is never a good idea to replace just one gear, replace the whole cassette.

Edited by Tankman

Its really good to see there are places that are giving most of us good service. Its not all doom and gloom for us poor people without the ocean. What things make us want to go back to a shop?

The way they treat you as we enter

The way they communicate with us, the customers?

Being able to fix a small item if you just walk in and have not booked it in?

Pricing?

quality of service, and making sure a test ride is done?

im just fishing for conversation here, hope fully shop owners are listening and can try see what we like?

Happy Monday all!

Circle Cycles in Fish Hoek - phoned at 9am monday morning. Took the bike in at ten am. Chris re-fitted a rear deralier cable and set the gears. Got the bike back at 11am.

Now that is service!! :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for this small gear?

Chances are pretty good it was a small gear from an old cassette lying in the workshop.

Edit: Oh and it is never a good idea to replace just one gear, replace the whole cassette.

Think it was R80. R80 vs R600 sounds like a good deal, still working fine after about 9 months. It was a new one still in a bag.

My own private workshop in Annlin, Pretoria. Best friendly service, good coffee and Em is the best receptionist, tea girl you can find.

Whats your LBS in that area?

i avoid national chains and prefer to support locals. I know Pmb is a small town, but Greg Minaar Cycles is where i shop. I get greeted by name and its the place to get your shock servced :thumbup: