Is the extra weight of a 29'er worth it?

DaleE

Ok, so without trying to start (another) "29ers are the best thing since sliced bread" thread, the question is like this:

I have the option of getting one of the following bikes -price is the same for both. The 29er is 2.3kg's heavier than the 26'er .... is the advantage of the larger wheels worth the extra weight?

Bike details are:

26'er full carbon 9.8kg's. X0 throughout with Easton EC90 stem, bars, post etc

29'er ally 12.1kg's. mix of X0/X9/X7 with Easton EA bars, stem, etc

Both are full suspension and forks and shock are similar.

Both are good brands ... let's not get caught up in brand loyalty :)

Bike will be used for the usual stage racing stuff (Sani, W2W, possibly Epic next year). I'm a middle of the bunch type rider (3:10 Argus), so not looking for podiums with the thing. My usual riding is Tokai, Deer Park, etc ... in other words very little flat riding, mostly up-and-down stuff.

Comments? thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike details are:

26'er full carbon 9.8kg's.

29'er ally 12.1kg's.

Comparing apples with oranges, mate.

Seems kinda meaningless.

No, I think you should go for something with 650b. That way you'd be saved this awful dilemma ;)

Please explain the difference between a 650b and a 26" wheel or rim

To the OP....... According to the Cult of the Weenie Measurers AKA twentie naainers it is better.

DaleE. Let me put it another way. How much do you weigh? If you are above say 86kg don't be bothered about the weight of the bike since the extra kg's wont really make a difference and cutting beer from your diet will save you loads and loads of ZARS and reduce your weight. If you weigh less than 70kg's go for the lighter one. My personal yard stick so no science or anything involved there so spare me the flaming. I moved from a light 26" HT Spez to a 29" Niner RIP 9 and in all honesty I'm more comfortable on the heavier bike and the increase in weight is not that noticeable. I weigh a beefy 91kg's and do mostly the type of riding you do (ie long hours in the saddle, hence comfort is king). First and foremost find out what works for you and buy accordingly.

Ok, so without trying to start (another) "29ers are the best thing since sliced bread" thread, the question is like this:

I have the option of getting one of the following bikes -price is the same for both. The 29er is 2.3kg's heavier than the 26'er .... is the advantage of the larger wheels worth the extra weight?

Bike details are:

26'er full carbon 9.8kg's. X0 throughout with Easton EC90 stem, bars, post etc

29'er ally 12.1kg's. mix of X0/X9/X7 with Easton EA bars, stem, etc

Both are full suspension and forks and shock are similar.

Both are good brands ... let's not get caught up in brand loyalty :)

Bike will be used for the usual stage racing stuff (Sani, W2W, possibly Epic next year). I'm a middle of the bunch type rider (3:10 Argus), so not looking for podiums with the thing. My usual riding is Tokai, Deer Park, etc ... in other words very little flat riding, mostly up-and-down stuff.

Comments? thoughts?

http://youtu.be/OyIWPB-X49U

Comparing apples with oranges, mate.

Seems kinda meaningless.

I don't think so. Both are full suspension and will do the same job. The choose of frame material is irrelevant apart from the weight .... or am I missing something here?

How much do you weigh?

77kg's and 1.73m .... so not the largest rider. I think that the 29'ers have improved a lot in terms of geometry, so they're not limited to the taller riders anymore.

Your comments on comfort and hours in the saddle make lots of sense.

If you're getting a 26" carbon with XO for the same price as an alu 29" with X9 or X7 then either you're getting a great deal on the 26 or you're being ripped for the 29.

In this case I would go 26 - much better deal! Wheelsize is irrelevant when comparing those specs.

Or do some more investigation - the value difference should not be that big between 26 and 29.

you are not the biggest rider,so weight plays a role here.I would go for a 26 dual suss or a 29 HT.I have a 29 duel suss ,but i weigh 99kg..29 Ht with tubeless tyres at 1.8bar ride smooth anyway.I had to choose the same for my daughter that is exacly the same hight and weightas you .She rides a 29 medium HT with x9 and i struggle to keep up.For comfort i would then go for 26 duel sus

The choose of frame material is irrelevant apart from the weight .... or am I missing something here?

But you are asking about the weight difference. How is it irrelevant?

Buy a decent 26" full suss bike and then when 27.5" wheels become mainstream next year you can convert and be ahead of the "new" wave that will speep across mountainbiking.

The conversion should consist of buying the new wheels and getting rid of the old ones. Easy peasy

If you're getting a 26" carbon with XO for the same price as an alu 29" with X9 or X7 then either you're getting a great deal on the 26 or you're being ripped for the 29.

The 26'er is a 2011 model and last one in the shop, so selling it off at a huge discount .... and that's why its at the same price point as the ally bike.

Have shopped around a bit ... price on the 29'er are on par with similar spec'ed bikes from other brands.