Is the extra weight of a 29'er worth it?

DaleE

you are not the biggest rider,so weight plays a role here.I would go for a 26 dual suss or a 29 HT

Thanks. Did try a 29HT but didn't like it .... found the advantage in weight and climbing ability was more than off-set by the loss of comfort and speed on the flats.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My smaller friends feel the same as you do, I however am 1.92 and love the feel of the bigger bike. No one glove fits all.

DaleE. Let me put it another way. How much do you weigh? If you are above say 86kg don't be bothered about the weight of the bike since the extra kg's wont really make a difference and cutting beer from your diet will save you loads and loads of ZARS and reduce your weight. If you weigh less than 70kg's go for the lighter one. My personal yard stick so no science or anything involved there so spare me the flaming. I moved from a light 26" HT Spez to a 29" Niner RIP 9 and in all honesty I'm more comfortable on the heavier bike and the increase in weight is not that noticeable. I weigh a beefy 91kg's and do mostly the type of riding you do (ie long hours in the saddle, hence comfort is king). First and foremost find out what works for you and buy accordingly.

2.3 kg is a massive difference no matter how much you weigh. The OP would not repeat his 3:10 Argus carrying an extra 2.3 kg.

Both bikes are full sus so will be more comfortable than your HT anyway.

For the same money go for the lighter bike every time if both are dual suss. And don't stress about wheel size.

The 26'er is a 2011 model and last one in the shop, so selling it off at a huge discount .... and that's why its at the same price point as the ally bike.

Have shopped around a bit ... price on the 29'er are on par with similar spec'ed bikes from other brands.

In this particular instance I would say "take the 26 - it's a great deal". In general I would say for the same price buy a 29er.

• 5 months later...

I had a Carbon Xtc weighing in at 9.5kg.

Now my 29er is 8.8kg..

29er rolls nice, but

for some reason I was faster on my 26" uphill, and single track.

29er is well spec so was the 26.

Take both for a spin. the one you comfy on, take that, and if its

the 29er, you will upgrade parts as you go, slowly your bike will get lighter,(if you upgrade for lighter/better parts, and you get

fitter..lol

Def helps with the climb.

Edited by Andro

• 4 months later...

I had a Carbon Xtc weighing in at 9.5kg.

Now my 29er is 8.8kg..

29er rolls nice, but

for some reason I was faster on my 26" uphill, and single track.

29er is well spec so was the 26.

Take both for a spin. the one you comfy on, take that, and if its

the 29er, you will upgrade parts as you go, slowly your bike will get lighter,(if you upgrade for lighter/better parts, and you get

fitter..lol

Def helps with the climb.

Tell me more wub.png

I have two 29 ers. Ss weight is 8.5 kg and geared hard tail 8.6 kg in marathon setup.

The magic with 29 er is wheel weight, get that right and you can make a magic bike.

My bianchi 29 er is also 9.4 and that's with maxi ikons, rolls like a dream and I def. climb better with it, in general I ride much better with my hard tail than my Santa Cruz. For all 70km and under rides I use it, for. The 70 plus I use the dual Santa Cruz

Mtbdobby Are you asking me???

My bianchi is a methanol with integrated carbon seat post and the group set is Xo /xtr

Crank brothers stem and bar, and look quartz pedals it's a med. frame

Mtbdobby Are you asking me???

My bianchi is a methanol with integrated carbon seat post and the group set is Xo /xtr

Crank brothers stem and bar, and look quartz pedals it's a med. frame

How do you like the pedals? Really worth the weight saving?

Interesting debate - just checked strava stats on 2 trips up the same rocky climb, 5 days apart.

29er carbon hardtail (about 10.5kg) 8min 27

26er aluminium ds (at least 12kg) 8min 39

I would have thought the difference would have been bigger as I'm a light weight, low power rider.

Go with the 26" , at 9.8kg it'll be a great bike to handle and has better specs.

But ride both and see , thats always the only test that matters...