Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

There is clearly still a demand for medals, that's why they are still being handed out. This morning just got to me , another plastic pack with a piece of metal and ribbon all rolled up inside. I bet you that's how they are delivered from the supplier. At least the Epic medal was still placed over my neck , there was some sort of personal interaction with a smidgen of recognition thrown in.

If you want something to show what you have achieved, why can't they come up with something more useful than a medal? Maybe it should not be called a medal anymore, but a Finishers Token.

You get timed and your results are there for all to see and for you to refer back to whenever you like.

Guys (including me ) complain about the value for money aspect of races (Day and Stage) with regularity and the Finishers Token is one part of the cost.

It may not be a big part of the cost, but it all adds up.

I'd prefer a nice photo at the finish...mailed to my mailbox (digital) that all the proof I need to show i finished xyz race...

Even better if a beautiful model (like in the TDF podium?) could pose next to this muddy old MTBer!! :thumbup:

Digital photos mailed to your mailbox is by far cheaper than buying medals...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not going to get into to much of an argument about this now, but this view is probably(because I dont know the cost of a medal) a huge misconception. People that think digital pics cost nothing need to catch a little wake up.

Maybe one day I'l start a thread in chit-chat outlining the costs.

I always feel slightly cheated when there are no medals handed out at the finish (exception would be that plastic ones they gave out at the Bouckaert Soenen - no medals would have been better), but whether there are medals or not or plastic ones does not play any role in choosing the races I participate in.

I still believe a medal (in the true spirit and meaning of the object) goes to Finishers 1,2 and 3. Everyone after can get a memento to commemorate their accomplishment. How about the old fashioned badges that used to be given out at events and these were sewn on to the tracksuit jacket? Why not bring those back? Or make the item given to you after a cycle race useful. Tiny K mentioned a keyring. How about a medal with a magnet at the back? A magnet which reminds you of your achievement ever time you attach one of your children's drawings to the fridge?

Edited by kandui

not going to get into to much of an argument about this now, but this view is probably(because I dont know the cost of a medal) a huge misconception. People that think digital pics cost nothing need to catch a little wake up.

I hear you....BUt please do enlighten me.

I've got a cell phone that can take a pretty decent photograph...what more is required??

No need for a professional photographer with a 50k camera & lense???

PS: Quite like the idea of a fridge magnet instead...at least my medals wioll be in full view!!

Edited by Cassie

I hear you....BUt please do enlighten me.

I've got a cell phone that can take a pretty decent photograph...what more is required??

No need for a professional photographer with a 50k camera & lense???

Until someone receive a bad photo. Then we get people moaning about that.

Today is as good a time as any. I would like to know this.

How about the old fashioned badges that used to be given out at events and these were sewn on to the tracksuit jacket? Why not bring those back?

those were the awesome. as a laaitjie I remember looking in awe at these okes with tracksuit tops covered in these badges

I'd prefer a nice photo at the finish...mailed to my mailbox (digital) that all the proof I need to show i finished xyz race...

Even better if a beautiful model (like in the TDF podium?) could pose next to this muddy old MTBer!! :thumbup:

+1 - I really like this idea!

Anyone with experience on race organisation and medal costs versus photo costs?

For sure I'd prefer a nice pic emailed to me than a medal. I have two shoe boxes filled with medals - I don't even remember half the races I did to earn the medals.

Bring the pics!

ek het al so baie medals, die dag as ek nie meer kan cycle nie, gan ek al my medals om my nek hang en in die see spring..die ekstra gewig behoort te help! :lol: :lol:

Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

Some of you laddies appear to have missed the obvious.

I do agree with some of your rant dude, and must also give praise where praise is due for decent grammar and spelling. Thank you.

2 to 3 day or marathon distances should automatically qualify as meaningful.

Classic distances, take it or leave it.

However one poster had a point about the little people. It is cool seeing those little sweaty red faces clutch their medal.

That said, I have seen the same look on the larger sweaty red faces of those who finish their first 45.

Hey, each to their own man.

While you are at it, shoot your idea off to the Comrades blokes, and the Mudmar Mile blokes etc.

Personally, if I don't get something for my 120/150 bux I get a little miffed.

Edited by The Drongo

ek het al so baie medals, die dag as ek nie meer kan cycle nie, gan ek al my medals om my nek hang en in die see spring..die ekstra gewig behoort te help! :lol: :lol:

And that Crazy Cat Lady is the post of the month !!! :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

I reckon for most races, I'd rather not have a medal. It seems like such a waste - they have to be designed, created, distributed, handed out at races. For the ones that aren't handed out they have to get re-moulded (I assume). Rather make the race cheaper or give the money to charity, or something.

Obviously new riders want them, but surely anybody who has done e.g. 10 races would be happy to not get one unless it's a really hard race. Is there any benefit to race organisers in e.g. 30% of riders offering not to get medals, or is the cost structure such that you may as well give them to everyone? What happens when people get e.g. goodie bag trinkets instead?

Nicest one I have was a wooden one handed out at Sabie 2004. Kinda acts as a coaster, and it was different. Maybe I should turn the rest into a hanging mobile.

some races the medal feels earned if its tough. you dont have to take one.

I like a medal especially for a new race out of town